#Brexit

This made me laugh.. A 'Clever ploy' is to remain in the EU by having an office there. Who could have possible known that being in the EU would be of benefit? Not a hint of irony here ? .

Also the Express is a disgusting rag, just take a look at all of the stories on the front page. It's just filled with hate fuelled racism and xenophobia, no wonder people are so thick when they read this and swallow it.

Can we revisit this in a respectful manner? There can't be many left who now don't see Brexit as a disaster. Or, are there?

It's important to lots of us, so please, no bunfight.

Buckley woke up this morning and chose violence
I didn't! I promise 🤣

Not sure how this thread came up for me, but given where we are now, with even the politicians who sold it just trying to avoid the subject, I think a revisit could be worthwhile.

Can we revisit this in a respectful manner? There can't be many left who now don't see Brexit as a disaster. Or, are there?

It's important to lots of us, so please, no bunfight.
I vote for bunfight. With iced buns.

However, it's a shower of shit, I see zero benefits for me personally, only negatives. Need to find that long lost Irish grandparent......

the problem was - and still is - that everyone from politicians down interpreted not only the result but the reason for the referendum differently. That's why these arguments will rage forever, because people aren't even talking the same language. For some of us, who took it literally, it really was about Europe, for many others though Europe had nothing to do with it. On a personal level that added bureaucracy has been a nightmare and the source of much stress. On the plus side though, getting dual nationality has massively helped with travel. I'm not going revisit old arguments with people on here who passionately wanted out, but I hope they are at least conscious of the shitstorm it has caused for many people.

the problem was - and still is - that everyone from politicians down interpreted not only the result but the reason for the referendum differently. That's why these arguments will rage forever, because people aren't even talking the same language. For some of us, who took it literally, it really was about Europe, for many others though Europe had nothing to do with it. On a personal level that added bureaucracy has been a nightmare and the source of much stress. On the plus side though, getting dual nationality has massively helped with travel. I'm not going revisit old arguments with people on here who passionately wanted out, but I hope they are at least conscious of the shitstorm it has caused for many people.
Are you and your good lady reunited now?

Not getting into the very personal stuff on here. On the red tape though, what happens is that if you're freelance, the authorities set a minimal earnings threshold and want proof of medical insurance, income, savings, bills, the lot. Proof you're not some Moroccan who jumped the fence. Yes I know.. but that's how it works in Spain. In the old days, you just turned up, got a padron which is like local residence and that was it, in you go. There's also an assumption that it's a bit sus if you're not married, so good luck explaining that one at the border... "Well the bastard never actually proposed" to stony faces. The machine right there in their dangling lanyards who've heard it all a zillion times before. Then they will really try to nail you, so they'll ask to go through your emails. You're knackered after a delayed flight and go What? as some fat whopper of a border guard asks to go through your yahoo history to prove that you actually know that fcker in arrivals. Yes, this happens too. You're then interrogated about your level of Spanish, but because you're freaked out, you can't get the words out. More ammo. Deportation looms ever closer. You then start crying cos you're at their mercy and you hope the senior supervisor is in a good mood or that his football team didn't take a hiding earlier that day... Now she was one of the lucky ones that time and they let her back in for the 90 day rule, but you can't play the system or expect any favours and don't think you can wing it cos everything really has changed... maybe there will eventually be a deal but this is the real world, right now.

F*ck me this thread……think engaging with this thread initially was when it dawned on me that there was a very real danger of us leaving…proved to be the perfect barometer!

Not getting into the very personal stuff on here. On the red tape though, what happens is that if you're freelance, the authorities set a minimal earnings threshold and want proof of medical insurance, income, savings, bills, the lot. Proof you're not some Moroccan who jumped the fence. Yes I know.. but that's how it works in Spain. In the old days, you just turned up, got a padron which is like local residence and that was it, in you go. There's also an assumption that it's a bit sus if you're not married, so good luck explaining that one at the border... "Well the bastard never actually proposed" to stony faces. The machine right there in their dangling lanyards who've heard it all a zillion times before. Then they will really try to nail you, so they'll ask to go through your emails. You're knackered after a delayed flight and go What? as some fat whopper of a border guard asks to go through your yahoo history to prove that you actually know that fcker in arrivals. Yes, this happens too. You're then interrogated about your level of Spanish, but because you're freaked out, you can't get the words out. More ammo. Deportation looms ever closer. You then start crying cos you're at their mercy and you hope the senior supervisor is in a good mood or that his football team didn't take a hiding earlier that day... Now she was one of the lucky ones that time and they let her back in for the 90 day rule, but you can't play the system or expect any favours and don't think you can wing it cos everything really has changed... maybe there will eventually be a deal but this is the real world, right now.
I was genuinely concerned. I wasn’t intending to be a nosey bastard but just remember you mentioned the issue before.
Reading between the lines, you’ve not had a good time of it to say the least.

I was genuinely concerned. I wasn’t intending to be a nosey bastard but just remember you mentioned the issue before.
Reading between the lines, you’ve not had a good time of it to say the least.

I think that's why when the thread came up, I decided to comment. No-one's had a good time of it, have they? Whilst it got spicy on this thread early on, if anyone who got sold on this said, "you know what? I got done," we'd have moved on a bit. Where the repair is, who knows, but at least we'd maybe get away from the division that our ruling elite are still relying on to cling to power.

Pretty much the only benefit I can find is that surely these charlatans could never pull of a con of this magnitude again?

Note for anyone outside the UK - the Conservatives (Tories) are in power and Brexit is their love-child.

The Labour (major opposition party) lead in the polls is so big, and if you add the Libdems and SNP (other parties) even bigger over the Tories that Starmer (opposition party leader) could now start to make moves towards the single market. Perhaps he could hide that under another name (European co-operation or something) and test the waters a bit. he might lose some of the Brexit voters, but I don't think he'd lose enough that would stop him being in power.

Hopefully it might gain him a few votes, there are key constituences where he needs the votes from pro-EU Libdem voters. Also, re-joining the single market could stop Scotland's calls for independence, sort the Northern Ireland, Channel islands and Gibraltar issues for good.

could it happen again? hmm... hard to say. Not necessarily because people are stupid but because the CP is ruthless at protecting its own and throwing out smokebombs to distract people from where the real villainy is. But even taking the party politics out of it, a lot of Brits genuinely hate each other based on where they live, look like, how they much they earn, what school they went to, what accent they have, where their parents came from... The class divide is everything and if anything worse now than ever. what the last 5 years did was bring a lot out that was festering for years. Maybe with younger people it will change, who knows.. as for rejoining the single market, it seems likelier than not, but the deal will be lousy one because the rebate is lost now and the EU would never agree to it again.

Back