#Brexit

I think the ETIAS when brought in will kill Brexit once and for all. Something that is Brexit related, can't be blamed on Ukraine, Covid or even jeremy Corbyn.

I'm staring at my passport wondering when it's elegibility runs out...ie it lasts over 10 years (there was an add-on) yet you have to arrive in Spain before ten years of the start is up, and leave three months before the official end, not stay for more than three months, and to top it off we will have to buy the ETIAS and match that with the length of the passport. Plus fingerprints, iris scans etc.

Brexiters claim it's OK because "we do that going to the US".

We're not going to the US once a year well planned in advance, we're going to IBIZA and sometimes we make the call the day before we set off!!!
The ETIAS will last for three years I believe, so it’s just a check every now and again to make sure it’s still valid and a reminder in your phone a couple of months before it expires. As a definite non fan of Brexit, a bit of extra paperwork every 3 years causes me no issue

The ETIAS will last for three years I believe, so it’s just a check every now and again to make sure it’s still valid and a reminder in your phone a couple of months before it expires. As a definite non fan of Brexit, a bit of extra paperwork every 3 years causes me no issue
Think, at least in the first 5-6 years, there will be many (millions as this affects everyone from outside Schengen??) arriving at the gate to find they can't get through as either one or the other has expired, thus (a) holding everyone else up in the queue and (b) the authorities then having to deal with them.

Currently, of course, at ibiza immigration they can retain anyone they like, but that would be a handful over a week, maybe year, but what if they have to detain dozens, daily, who won't have a return ticket for days/weeks? What to do with them??

I suppose (a) they can do an emergency ETIAS there and then but that's taking officers away from control (longer queues?) or (b) insist airlines check the ETIAS individually before allowed onto the plane.

But (b) leaving from Ireland the airline would have to check whether they are Irish passports (allowed on) or UK (allowed on but only if ETIAS-compliant); again a bit of a bureaucratic time-waster, and even worse in the UK airlines would check if they have an EU passport (allowed on...) or a UK one with ETIAS.

And I'm not sure whether the ETIAS will be a paper document, or a stamp in your passport, or (more likely) simply an electronic tag (when you link to your passport, on swiping the officer can see it's compliant) and airlines don't have the facility to do that at the gate before you board.

After you...politicians. you made this, you sort it.

Think, at least in the first 5-6 years, there will be many (millions as this affects everyone from outside Schengen??) arriving at the gate to find they can't get through as either one or the other has expired, thus (a) holding everyone else up in the queue and (b) the authorities then having to deal with them.
nah, airlines and tour operators will just bake it into packages or sell it as an add-on extra service (and charge +60% for the privilege)

More likely you will have tourists buying duplicates because they lose track of existing paperwork

For 1 person, it's a bit of bother to remember to renew. The admin behind it for millions of people, for airport checking, the handling of additional data, it's another very cumbersome, expensive process that wasn't there before. For no benefit to anyone whatsoever.

For 1 person, it's a bit of bother to remember to renew. The admin behind it for millions of people, for airport checking, the handling of additional data, it's another very cumbersome, expensive process that wasn't there before. For no benefit to anyone whatsoever.
We managed with all the paperwork involved with Covid, forms, tests, getting tested away etc. But that was for an one-off and, to be frank, we all wanted to travel so much we'd have walked on burning coal let alone fill i a few forms!

But ETIAS is an IMO unnecessary addition to what we already have which has survived for decades, and it's not just for a few months (like those covid arrangements) it's for life.

If airlines act as immigration (outbound) officials, checking your documents, then there's no need for any checks at the other end...just walk through. But that won't happen, airline staff aren't immigration officials and can only check your passport against your ticket.

However, there's no reason why we can't have a system where everything is done beforehand, and all you do is swipe your passport at the airport in an e-machine and I think that's the plan. As long as those in front have got it right...

But best of all is to scrap Brexit, join the single market, and we can travel where we want and stay as long as we want as long as we can self-support and that should be the same for EU's coming to the UK.

Do you travel out in/out UK on the British one and vice versa at the other end? I find it saves a whole load of grief
I've only used it once on a football tour, as when I travel with family they are all on UK ones anyway. Used it in and out with no hassle that time

You watch The Tories or Starmer try to do just that though 🤣😂🤣
When they bring in the ETIAS I'll probably take a year off EU travel while it all settles down. My passport was valid from June 2016 so - *thinks* I'm OK 'till mid-summer next year (2024) then sit back for 18 months with the popcorn, then at the start of '26 get a shiny new ugly black British passport and a gorgeous sexy ETIAS and hopefully in Spring 26 it will either have settled down or gone away. And the start of the passport and ETIAS will be alligned.

So Jersey and Guernsey become the temporary Ibiza for me, beautiful beaches but too cold to swim.

Interestingly, if you are French with an ID card, you are allowed a day-trip to either Jersey/Guernsey on the ferry, no stamps, no hassle, wonder if the UK/EU might go down the "day trip" route so shoppers can fly London/Paris (wherever) for a day's shopping or something??

etias has nowt to do with brexit. it was first proposed by the ec in april 2016 and had brexit not happened then the uk would have been included in the scheme. it is intended to be introduced along with the ees system which digitally registers entry and exit to the eu so the 90 day rule can be enforced without the need for passport stamps.

you may or may not know, that when you check into any legally registered accomodation in spain, your passport details are sent to the guardia civil to check. a hotelier friend of mine tells me that the gc have visited his place on several occasions to arrest guests whose passports were on a register. i assume that etias and ees will replace this.

When they bring in the ETIAS I'll probably take a year off EU travel while it all settles down. My passport was valid from June 2016 so - *thinks* I'm OK 'till mid-summer next year (2024) then sit back for 18 months with the popcorn, then at the start of '26 get a shiny new ugly black British passport and a gorgeous sexy ETIAS and hopefully in Spring 26 it will either have settled down or gone away. And the start of the passport and ETIAS will be alligned.

So Jersey and Guernsey become the temporary Ibiza for me, beautiful beaches but too cold to swim.

Interestingly, if you are French with an ID card, you are allowed a day-trip to either Jersey/Guernsey on the ferry, no stamps, no hassle, wonder if the UK/EU might go down the "day trip" route so shoppers can fly London/Paris (wherever) for a day's shopping or something??
Assuming it's a 10 year passport, it'll be fine until April 2026 for entry into the EU, provided you leave before it becomes >3 months left on it. If the ETIAS comes in before then (which it likely will), just apply and get one- I see no reason to not travel for 18 months. Then when you get your new Farage black passport, get a fresh one and it will be linked to your new passport.

The ETIAS is also an electronic endorsement type thing that is linked to your passport number, so no sending off of passports, or needing additional paperwork, it's all done by the magic binary 0s and 1s.

Assuming it's a 10 year passport, it'll be fine until April 2026 for entry into the EU, provided you leave before it becomes >3 months left on it. If the ETIAS comes in before then (which it likely will), just apply and get one- I see no reason to not travel for 18 months. Then when you get your new Farage black passport, get a fresh one and it will be linked to your new passport.

The ETIAS is also an electronic endorsement type thing that is linked to your passport number, so no sending off of passports, or needing additional paperwork, it's all done by the magic binary 0s and 1s.
bib - I'm thinking of the chaos at the airports, especially in peak time. Keep this to yourself - I have postrate issues which means I need "to go" frequently, and stood over an hour in an immigration/passport queue could lead to some embarrassment! So I do everything possible to avoid queues (and drinking) and have that down to a fine art now!! Of course fears might be unfounded, but you reckon??

Also in high summer it gives me the perfect excuse to do something I've wanted to do for years, explore the furthest north Scottish islands (Yell, Unst) during the midnight-twilight month of June. A time when I'd normally be soaking up the sun in Ibiza!! late June and Sept/Oct are my fave times for Ibiza.

Yup, I think I might have a year's sabbatical and see how it goes.

etias has nowt to do with brexit. it was first proposed by the ec in april 2016 and had brexit not happened then the uk would have been included in the scheme. it is intended to be introduced along with the ees system which digitally registers entry and exit to the eu so the 90 day rule can be enforced without the need for passport stamps.

you may or may not know, that when you check into any legally registered accomodation in spain, your passport details are sent to the guardia civil to check. a hotelier friend of mine tells me that the gc have visited his place on several occasions to arrest guests whose passports were on a register. i assume that etias and ees will replace this.

Noted El Ste. My comment about it not being there before assumed 'before Brexit' so I'll consider myself educated on that front

Spanish apt biometric machines now rely on fingerprints which don’t always respond to touch so god knows how much time really will get saved..

Back