#Brexit

What's odd is the sudden faux concern over the fisheries...

How about vital supplies for the Utilities industry? In my Inbox just now.....

Dear Customer,

We are currently forced to temporarily suspend all Land Transport services from continental Europe to the UK with immediate effect.

The arrangements agreed under the Brexit deal have meant enormous bureaucratic regulations particularly for recipients in the UK, which they are currently unable to handle in a legally compliant manner. Most of the recipients (Importers or Consignee’s) in the UK have never dealt with customs procedures before and need further guidance on the new regulations (e.g. the confirmation of the correct ten-digit commodity codes, providing Power of Attorney).

Therefore, we need to advise you to postpone all shipments until further notice. Furthermore, would you also please ensure that all necessary paperwork for customs i.e. export and import documentation, is in place for your shipments, as well as at the consignee i.e. all direct representation letters and HMRC information to allow for a smooth customs clearance.

We will do our utmost to support both origin and destination; shipper, and recipients and continue with our service as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please contact your local ****** team for support and further information.

Your***** team

Same - it is a shit show. I work for a global tech company and nothing has come into the UK since Brexit. This is despite investment, research and using global freight forwarding companies who are still none the wiser on exactly what paperwork is needed, all the coding etc.

Also many contracts that existing before Brexit are no longer valid so need to be renegotiated and signed under new terms - and when the Brexit deal was delivered on 24th December it didn't exactly give businesses time to do the above.

Yeah but I saw Boris on TV saying there's no paperwork, no border in the Irish Sea, and that we can now sell to the world. So I think you're all just lying tbh, bloody project fearmongers.

and to quote ‘if anyone asks you to fill in extra paperwork ask them to phone the prime minister’ ?

I wrote a response but thought it was too aggressive @Buckley so deleted it.

I was laughing that a company would send out that kind of absolute guff on email. Makes me wonder how that person can wipe their arse let alone run a company.

Besides, this thread should be closed now. We've left the EU.

Anyway, peace and love on this site man come at me on Twitter for this kind of debate. Have a good weekend!

I wrote a response but thought it was too aggressive @Buckley so deleted it.

I was laughing that a company would send out that kind of absolute guff on email. Makes me wonder how that person can wipe their arse let alone run a company.

Clueless. Plenty of small companies don’t have the skills, resource or expertise to deal with this. So your response is ‘f*** small business’

do you have any experience in this field or customs codes, import / export ? Maybe you should share your wisdom on how to handle the new export paperwork to our dying fishing trade ?

plenty of huge companies with big teams on this are struggling to get things in to the country in a timely fashion at the moment

Last edited:
@Springal

Yes, I run a company that exports to Europe on a regular basis. We are a small business. There has been zero paperwork to ROI (I'm talking letter FAO Customs which needs to be attached the side of items) as a result of there being no hard border. I've also shipped to the Netherlands and Germany. The paperwork took me all of 5 minutes.

The fishing trade is 'not dying'. Don't believe the hype. They wanted a complete red line in UK fishing waters what they got was a 15% increase on current catchments.

I've read the legislation and export yet I'm the clueless one, be careful making assumptions.

If you want to debate this further drop me a DM.

@Springal

Yes, I run a company that exports to Europe on a regular basis. We are a small business. There has been zero paperwork to ROI (I'm talking letter FAO Customs which needs to be attached the side of items) as a result of there being no hard border. I've also shipped to the Netherlands and Germany. The paperwork took me all of 5 minutes.

The fishing trade is 'not dying'. Don't believe the hype. They wanted a complete red line in UK fishing waters what they got was a 15% increase on current catchments.

I've read the legislation and export yet I'm the clueless one, be careful making assumptions.

If you want to debate this further drop me a DM.
Think it very much depends on what you are exporting- my market (food) is super tough at the moment due to a huge increase in documentation needed, vet certifications, export health, all that stuff. Makes a low margin, UK manufactured product unviable for EU export currently.

The current issues around fishing I believe aren’t down to how much you can catch/where you can fish, but more around how hard it is to sell said catch into Europe. They have similar issues to us, with the added aspect of fish being super short life.

All down to what you sell and the additional requirements placed upon your product, it’ll be a different experience for everyone. Cheshire Cheese are a good example- have a look at their statement around how it has decimated their export business to the extent they’ve had to stop completely for the time being.

It’s still delightfully calm in here compared to the “other” thread

You’re fortunate then I guess, as trust me there has been issues with customs codes, generating the right codes and delays at borders particularly where fresh / live goods have gone past their best because of delays.
This is is what happens when businesses get 5 days notice to prepare.

on Twitter there is a large wine importer that has really struggled - @DanielLambert29 he has documented exactly his problems since Brexit - but perhaps he doesn’t know how to wipe his arse either ??‍♂️

Last edited:
It's a total sea change I agree and it would seem different processes for different products.

That Tweet you shared relates to a system being outdated. That needs changing and with pressure I am sure it will be.

everything was fine before. now there´s hassle which wasn't previously there. even making a fcken bank transfer to a Spanish account goes through red tape and delays, which when you have bills is a royal pain in the jacksy

Back