#Brexit

Honestly think you care more about the feeling of "winning" than actually seeing any sort of tangible benefits from this.

And as has been said above, whilst you're taking some sort of triumphant stance there are real-world consequences that you'd do well to be aware of.

Oh and beyond actually taking a few flags down and some facists doing nazi salutes in Parliament Square, nothing has actually changed :D We're still signed up to all the same treaties as we were yesterday, following all the same laws, sending the same amount of money.

Honestly think you care more about the feeling of "winning"

This is it. I'm conflicting about the whole affair:
On one hand, it was heartening to see something engage so many with politics, of the like we hadn't seen since WWII. People who would never bother voting before, did so. Amazing

On the other hand, those treating it like a football rivalry is despairing. Yes, there are winners and losers in politics. The winners get wealthy. And for the losers... suffering and premature death.

Further to this, just because the result swung the way you voted, that doesn't necessarily equate to a "win".

Even hardline career Tories are aware of this. Some of the scenes we've seen are embarrassing

Certain people still don't get just how serious this all is. We're talking about real people's lives here not some episode of Dad's Army. I live with someone genuinely worried about her future. For us, this isn't knockabout fun on some internet forum.

That aimed at my Euro note picture?

It’s not knockabout fun, it’s fact now. Sadly.

Honestly think you care more about the feeling of "winning" than actually seeing any sort of tangible benefits from this.

And as has been said above, whilst you're taking some sort of triumphant stance there are real-world consequences that you'd do well to be aware of.
Yeh it’s a great feeling for it finally to happen. For 3 1/2 years, the majority in Parliament (until December), majority of celebrities, the media, most posters on here have talked us, the majority of the population, who voted leave down. The largest political mandate in the history of the country was ignored for too long. Last night it was put right. We finally have a government who believes in this country.

Yeh it’s a great feeling for it finally to happen. For 3 1/2 years, the majority in Parliament (until December), majority of celebrities, the media, most posters on here have talked us, the majority of the population, who voted leave down. The largest political mandate in the history of the country was ignored for too long. Last night it was put right. We finally have a government who believes in this country.
Business people now in government who want to "deviate" aka deregulate to increase profits.

Fixed that for you ;)

Let's hope I'm wrong and you're right. Probs be 5-10 years until we know

Footnote: US-EU been trying to sort free trade deal for years and not been able to as eu won't lower regulations/standards. (As well as other issues)

On another forum, there is a lot of noise around leavers or remainers. I actually see it in a new light. In a way, I'm reminded of the 4th of July of 1776 when the United States declared its independence. The United Kingdom has effectively deemed itself independent of the European Union. So I guess what I'm saying is this doesn't have to be a tragedy. It's a birth. A beginning. It's something special now. Whether we wanted it or not seems less important and more "partisan" if you'll excuse the term.

What do you think? :)
Absolutely not

From my neck of the woods it was a win for racist morons

A decade of Tory Austerity has crippled certain areas of Britain and this confidence that Brexit is going to solve their problems, i can't see it myself under this government

Last edited:
Business people now in government who want to "deviate" aka deregulate to increase profits.

Fixed that for you ;)

Let's hope I'm wrong and you're right. Probs be 5-10 years until we know

Footnote: US-EU been trying to sort free trade deal for years and not been able to as eu won't lower regulations/standards. (As well as other issues)

Indeed. I just wonder how much we'll be willing to screw over the environment, animals and product standards to get trade deals. I predict a rush to the bottom.

Absolutely not

A decade of Tory Austerity has crippled certain areas of Britain and this confidence that Brexit is going to solve their problems, i can't see it myself under this government

And you wonder why you lost. Calling everyone you disagree with politically, a racist moron.

And you wonder why you lost. Calling everyone you disagree with politically, a racist moron.
Well judging by most of the media coverage i've seen and even some of the articles posted earlier in this thread, there's an overwhelming 'nasty foreigner' stereotype

Well judging by most of the media coverage i've seen and even some of the articles posted earlier in this thread, there's an overwhelming 'nasty foreigner' stereotype
I think on face of it you could call them racist, but that would be to simplistic. It's more to do with fear of national identity and how they feel their local community no longer feels like it includes them. (Not saying it's right they should vilify foreigners but understandable)

Unfortunately while the Polish/Romanian etc foreigners may leave, they probs be replaced by Indian/far east/etc foreigners instead. (India has already said freedom of movement would be a key part of any trade deal they'd do with the UK ?‍♂️ )

Not enough people on dole & able bodied to push into doing the manual intensive jobs. Hell, I keep in shape & wouldn't be able to do those jobs for long.

Perhaps say to uni students, no fees but gotta spend 3 days a week working in a field/cleaning etc?

Even as a fairly ardent leaver, some of the triumphalist scenes of last night leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, they’re unnecessary and do nothing to heal the divisions.

BUT remainers need to accept their fair share of the blame for these culture wars , a significant section of which have consistently demonised, belittled, undermined and attempted to delegitimise the votes of millions of (mainly) working class people for three years and heavily contributed to the bitterness and division we see today IMO.

Absolutely not

I feel like their motive was racist too.

But I don't see a way back to what you had in a pre-Brexit UK now; only forward toward a new independence. That's all I'm saying.

Elsewhere on the net I've seen it discussed, and honestly I decided early on that it reminded me a little of the xenophobic anti-immigrant/refugee situation we have in the states. That helped me form the opinion that I had which was in line with remaining.

Do you think that there could be a reversal? A referendum or something? I have no idea, but that would be super. Even if not, I can see an independence working in your favor; it's just going to take awhile to work out/get used to.

Do you think that there could be a reversal? A referendum or something? I have no idea, but that would be super. Even if not, I can see an independence working in your favor; it's just going to take awhile to work out/get used to.
The cards have been dealt and it may take up to 10 yrs before we can assess the success/failure.

Alot of uncertainty lies a head especially with the Scots Independence and the Irish Border conundrum to run their course

No, calling a racist moron a racist moron is correct.

Not all Leave voters are racist's, but all racist's are Leave voters.

Have you not seen the state of 90% of the people interviewed in London yesterday?
Nick Griffin backed Corbyn, shall we call all Corbyn supporters racist now?

Has it not crossed your mind that the media searched out these people. Amongst the thousands in attendance.

The BBCs coverage was pro EU. Focusing on candlelit vigils in Ely and Edinburgh

Back