#Brexit

i'm not going to get sucked into any more arguments on here. it is too late for all that now. I'm just hoping MPs do the right thing - there's millions and millions of peoples' livelihoods at risk and what could be about to happen genuinely scares me shitless

Yes hopefully they do the right thing and listen to the largest ever democratic vote in the history of the United Kingdom.

In all honesty I'd rather they made whatever decision is best for the country and it's inhabitants.

If that's leave with a deal then so be it. I'd rather that than forcing people into suffering through a stubborn reluctance to change course based on the facts.

Fwiw I want us to leave with a deal as I also think the referendum should be respected. But this whole "Brexit at any cost" mantra is ludicrous.

Any predictions on the way exchange rates will go depending on Deal or no deal? I left exchanging my euros just before the actual brexit vote expecting a remain and lost about 200e in doing so :(

The pound wants an orderly brexit with a deal and a smooth transition, if that happens you should see the pound steadily strengthen from where we are now. If its a no deal, it would not be good as it just means more uncertainty so you'd expect the pound to get weaker still - back to where we dropped to immediately after the vote, perhaps even weaker than that.

The pound wants an orderly brexit with a deal and a smooth transition, if that happens you should see the pound steadily strengthen from where we are now. If its a no deal, it would not be good as it just means more uncertainty so you'd expect the pound to get weaker still - back to where we dropped to immediately after the vote, perhaps even weaker than that.

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I miss the days £1000 got your 1400e

I think the unknown for me is whether the current value of the pound already factors in the worst-case apocalyptic situations or whether it reflects a more optimistic belief in the City that 'sense' will prevail at the 11th hour. But if it is the case that the money markets suddenly freak out because they never seriously anticipated no-deal, then we could see panic-selling combined with a mass exodus of business and capital and the return of double digit inflation as everything gets super expensive. Fun times eh..

I think the next few weeks will see the markets hedge their bets either way.

We're woefully under-prepared for a no deal Brexit and the belief seems to be "Surely they won't be that stupid to actually go through with it" given how damaging it will be.

interesting points of view from everyone - especially to see that there are people from both sides actively involved in an ibiza forum - i would have thought that anyone who enjoys holidaying in europe would be in favour of staying within it.

certainly for us brits working and living on the island, there is a great deal of worry about the final outcome is. i wasn't even allowed to vote having been here too long.. :spank:

i am a quarter scottish, so if scotland do leave the UK and rejoin europe, i will be over there like a shot to claim my scottish passport (ireland only requires one grandparent too).

if they do manage an orderly exit, then i think it will be business as usual on ibiza. if they don't, well, we shall see.

interesting points of view from everyone - especially to see that there are people from both sides actively involved in an ibiza forum - i would have thought that anyone who enjoys holidaying in europe would be in favour of staying within it.

certainly for us brits working and living on the island, there is a great deal of worry about the final outcome is. i wasn't even allowed to vote having been here too long.. :spank:

i am a quarter scottish, so if scotland do leave the UK and rejoin europe, i will be over there like a shot to claim my scottish passport (ireland only requires one grandparent too).

if they do manage an orderly exit, then i think it will be business as usual on ibiza. if they don't, well, we shall see.

No dog in the fight for me, as I have to wait in the "long" line at customs no matter what.

In any case, I would think that if you have spent most of your time in Spain and are established previously for years that you could just apply for citizenship. Maybe a stupid question: Did UK citizens still apply for change citizenship for any practical reasons?

The real hit would be for the youngters that like to stay and work the season. I know there are many undocumented workers there, I wonder if this will scare many of the UK kids away this year and have an impact on the labor market. I would have worked a summer 20 years ago if it were legal, but no way would I do it at the risk of being deported.

Yes, Spanish citizenship is possible but takes nearly two years. I should have started the process after the vote. Hmmm. Technically dual is not allowed so I would have to give up my British (technically).

Yeah there was an article in I think the Observer today covering ex-pats fears; the concern is as you can't hold dual citizenship if you get a Spanish passport, rescinding your British passport may mean you end up unable to access certain things.

i have 2 passports through dual heritage, and was able to exploit a loophole during the Zapatero administration, but i think only naturalised South Americans qualify these days.

i would advise anyone to try and get an EU passport if you can. it is so easy travelling around the Schengen states.

Am ready to listen to any intelligent arguments advocating no-deal, because I have yet to hear anything beyond ‘it’ll all work out’ or ‘we’ve been through worse’

Am ready to listen to any intelligent arguments advocating no-deal because I have yet to hear anything beyond ‘it’ll all work out’ or ‘we’ve been through worse’

And I've yet to meet anyone who's read the withdrawal agreement that would accept it.

There are only two options - accept the deal or walk away. Barnier at al have already confirmed they will not re-open negotiations. I do find this stance complete nonsense because at some point in time we will have to agree something to get on with trade. The bullish stance won't wash with businesses.

I remember I think it might have been you Mashed who posted a pretty convincing argument a couple of years back saying that everything would be fine because 'they' needed 'us' more and Audis/Prosecco had to be exported etc and I considered at the time that you might be right cos money talks right? but then more recently I read German execs saying they're not as arsed as you might think because they're opening up new markets in the East and won't therefore take such a hit. I think the other thing is that the politics trumps the economics. They were ruthlessly willing to let the Greeks starve rather than compromise the European project and I think the Brits lost sight of that. the EU is deeply ideological as a concept and the basis for French-German relations around which everything else is built. So that is why - unless they are gonna pull some rabbit out at the last minute that nobody thought about - the British have played this really badly. Now maybe I'm completely wrong but if the EU aren't bluffing and won't compromise then their need to keep all 27 onside and to deter anyone else jumping ship outweighs all the corporates. If I AM wrong then I'll happily hold my hand up but I really just don't see it. As for the deal, I agree it is obviously shit but they're in too deep to cancel the whole thing now...

Back