#Brexit

@jimmiz pretty certain both the UK government and the European Union released a statement confirming airlines would not be affected.

Essentially everything will remain in will continue until a deal is reached.

My understanding is that even in the event of a no deal, there's temporary provisions in place for things such as flights etc...to continue, but there's only so many 'slots' available and UK carriers won't be able to add any more to their existing routes.

Main issues will be the £ plummeting and long queues at customs but they're things we've known about for a while now.

@jimmiz pretty certain both the UK government and the European Union released a statement confirming airlines would not be affected.

Essentially everything will remain in will continue until a deal is reached.

British airlines will continue to be allowed to operate into and out of Europe and over-fly it for a period of 12 months, but not operate flights within the EU.

After tonight, i’d say the chances of them either calling new vote or pulling the plug on the whole thing have shot up, because who seriously wants to take it to the line, other than the nutters? There’s no other deal so what else can she offer? My tail is tentatively wagging for the first time in ages. I think the City agree. Sterling holding up today. Obviously, it would be explosive politically, but better that than medicine shortages, no? Your move Jeremy..

Why should we have a vote for a new government... I've voted once before for that so once should be enough #democracy #sarcasm ;)

I voted remain, but part of me wants a hard brexit now so that people can finally see what little power and weight we have now in the world; not like we was after WWII.

Nevermind blaming EU for everything was just rope-a-dope politicians using to divert blame from them, cause they're all poopy heads.

(Migrants put pressure on local services = Remove migrants, still same number of jobs req in area, UK peeps move to area - same pressure. Cause: gov under investment in services & infrastructure.

Crap laws from EU = all countries have to agree to them first - politicians got working time directive opt out for uk etc. Cause: politicians don't really care unless affects their interests.

.... and on and on)

Glad I've got 4 years left in my fixed mortgage.

I voted remain, but part of me wants a hard brexit now so that people can finally see what little power and weight we have now in the world; not like we was after WWII.

The problem is all those hardships we'd face would still be blamed on everyone else :(

Waiting to buy a house currently, Brexit is making things too uncertain.

Why should we have a vote for a new government... I've voted once before for that so once should be enough #democracy #sarcasm ;)

Nevermind blaming EU for everything was just rope-a-dope politicians using to divert blame from them, cause they're all poopy heads.

(Migrants put pressure on local services = Remove migrants, still same number of jobs req in area, UK peeps move to area - same pressure. Cause: gov under investment in services & infrastructure.

Crap laws from EU = all countries have to agree to them first - politicians got working time directive opt out for uk etc. Cause: politicians don't really care unless affects their interests.

.... and on and on)

Yeah I'm stuck a bit, a hard brexit to make people realise just how f***ed we'd be would be bittersweet because those that would suffer the most are already the most vulnerable, and those pushing for it are insulate from it or stand to gain from it (takes two seconds to look at how many of Farage's friends won a shitloads of money on results night by betting against the pound)

And likewise @Ikoda, the positive is that I'm hoping the market crashes from a selfish pov.

Yeah I'm stuck a bit, a hard brexit to make people realise just how f***ed we'd be would be bittersweet because those that would suffer the most are already the most vulnerable, and those pushing for it are insulate from it or stand to gain from it (takes two seconds to look at how many of Farage's friends won a shitloads of money on results night by betting against the pound)

And likewise @Ikoda, the positive is that I'm hoping the market crashes from a selfish pov.
The pound went up.

Against the dollar it was slightly lower in October 2016 at 1.22x. Its about 1.29x as I write this.

Amazing, considering when I was working in the UK back in 2003 but the rate was 1.6x (being paid in USD). Just imagine the extra booze, tattoos and lap dances....

(edit: 1.08x in 1985 = hookers and blow, yowzers!)

sorry, can't link it, laptop being a mare.
A little recent history about why the situation has reached the point it has now.
Look for the Nick Cohen article in todays Observer: Brexiters never had a real exit plan. No wonder they avoided the real issue.
Another way; twitter, @NickCohen4

But nobody knew what they were voting for zzzzzz
I mean, categorically that's sort of true; people were asked if they want to leave, they weren't asked 'how' they want to leave.

There was nothing on the ballot about customs union, hard borders or no deal stockpiling.

Everything the Remain campaign brought up as a consequence that at the time was derided as being "fear mongering" is now being excused as "a price worth paying".

i'm not going to get sucked into any more arguments on here. it is too late for all that now. I'm just hoping MPs do the right thing - there's millions and millions of peoples' livelihoods at risk and what could be about to happen genuinely scares me shitless

Back