BPM Festival 2016 8th - 17th January 2016

Def meet up for a beer and a chat at Canibbal Royale for Mano Le Tough. I'll be Diynamic as well Tues night, but not sure what kind of condition ill be in by that point ;)
Not at all. Was very intoxicated and mistook the front of my hotel for a toilet. Turns out it wasn't a toilet after all. Anyway they put me in the cop car and said they were taking me to jail, so I asked if I could pay them off. They said yes, so I went to pull whatever bill I could out of my wallet, and that's when he grabbed my wallet and took it all. My second day in Mexico too, ha. Luckily my dad wired me some cash so I cold survive, but it wasn't pleasant. So public urination is a bid no no, take it from me

I have the opposite problem most of the time where I can't piss, so should be ok ;)

So curious to get what everyone's thoughts will be but considering closing weekend begins today and +1 party will probably once again be massive this year, I would say Solomun wins BPM again this year.

Solly built up an unbelievable set in that jungle of a little over 5 hours (some of which was supposed to go b2b but i think that got abandoned as he was on fire and saw mostly just him continuing do the selection). My only real critique would be that his set started a little slow, but it really did set the table and the vibe was fantastic. This party really benefits from being in the middle of the week to avoid opening/closing chaos and only get the people who really want to be there.

A very close second place is to Marco Carola for the Music On day party (did a really killer 7+ hour set). Of course as usual Marco spanned across various styles and brought the harder stuff once the sun went back down. Marco's Music on party at night the prior evening had some great music as well but the party was unbearable, there was just no where to go without being shoved in one direction or another.

Happy to give a short review of each party attended if anyone's interested, but some quick side notes, Tronic was most underrated party of the lot, as for Blue Parrot will never go back for a big night there it just draws too many people, Martina Beach venue was killer and great job from BPM guys putting that together (far better than Mamitas which it replaced), sad to see Canibal Royale change the shape of its venue (not sure what happened there exactly) but it was still tops.

Also @stivi heard the first drop of that Frank Wiedemann unknown track by Mano Le Tough at the Maeve party almost exactly mid set and it went off, definitely going to hear more and more of that one. Separately as for Mano Le Tough, i was slightly disappointed, i thought his first hour was great, and last 40 minutes or so of his set were really really boring, actually preferred The Drifter's set.

Really great week. The Jungle venue was amazing. I know it didn't have the beach sunrise view of Blue Venado, but everything else was incredible. So many places to chill out, grab a drink and dance......just really good vibes everywhere and the sound was excellent. I went for Diynamic and Paradise.....both parties were fantastic. Musically, Diynamic was a little better. Solomun really tore things up. Paradise on the other hand, Jamie Jones sucked once again aside from when he started to play some fun stuff once the sun came up. I wish Capriati took control because he was playing some nice stuff. I don't thing I've ever enjoyed a Jamie Jones set....don't know if I'm just unlucky or what. The other highlight of Paradise was Lee Foss, the vibe in the smaller hut was top. The crowd for both parties were excellent....good looking and lots of energy.

Cannibal Royal was great as always and Martina beach was a nice large popup venue although it was too crowded for Solomun + 1.

Did not step foot in Blue Parrot. They should only book smaller names there....always gets too crowded.

Didn't get a chance to check out Wah Wah, but it looked like a really nice beach venue.

Only complaint of the week was that it rained all one day and was really cloudy a couple of other days. However, on the cloudy days we drove down to Tulum where it was always magically sunny. Tulum is amazing.

Other than that, I had some really great meals. Some new restaurants were added....cheap and delicous.

Glad to see BPM is continuing to grow and improve. PDC has that unique blend of things, like Ibiza, that makes it a perfect spot. The one thing it has that I wish Ibiza still had are open air venues. The ability to party on the beach and until the sun comes up cannot be beat.

@Neo95gt, completely agree 100%. They did a great job with the jungle venue and it was really easy to get to as well which made life so much easier. It definitely didnt have that allure Blue Venado had but it was still very well done. Diynamic was the standout of the week I think at least for me. I've never been much of a Jamie Jones fan so honestly that Paradise lineup didnt have all that much appeal to me, his style doesn't do it for me and him b2b Capriati doesnt do much for me either. Agree w/ Canibal Royale and Martina beach opinion as well, i mentioned it somewhere else but unfortunately i dont think any venue was going to be large enough for Solomun +1 this year considering it was the party of the year last year and people go where the hype is. Staying away from the parrot couldnt have been a smarter move possible, and Wah Wah was very solid, sound was great, hit up the Tronic party there and it was very underrrated real slamming techno (Webbha was a standout). I think i plan to try and attend next year but hit up less events and spend some more time down in Tulum. Its great that BPM has grown but it poses the problem of space, they have definitely outgrown some of the venues they use and for the amount of people attending its causing a problem. I was already back home in new york but heard tons of people (with bracelets) got turned away from Sci & Tec party last night, thats bullshit considering its all access.

Hi. I plan to visit mexico for honeymoney trip during late june. Anybody have information about catch same good party there? Thanxs.

@Neo95gt, completely agree 100%. They did a great job with the jungle venue and it was really easy to get to as well which made life so much easier. It definitely didnt have that allure Blue Venado had but it was still very well done. Diynamic was the standout of the week I think at least for me. I've never been much of a Jamie Jones fan so honestly that Paradise lineup didnt have all that much appeal to me, his style doesn't do it for me and him b2b Capriati doesnt do much for me either. Agree w/ Canibal Royale and Martina beach opinion as well, i mentioned it somewhere else but unfortunately i dont think any venue was going to be large enough for Solomun +1 this year considering it was the party of the year last year and people go where the hype is. Staying away from the parrot couldnt have been a smarter move possible, and Wah Wah was very solid, sound was great, hit up the Tronic party there and it was very underrrated real slamming techno (Webbha was a standout). I think i plan to try and attend next year but hit up less events and spend some more time down in Tulum. Its great that BPM has grown but it poses the problem of space, they have definitely outgrown some of the venues they use and for the amount of people attending its causing a problem. I was already back home in new york but heard tons of people (with bracelets) got turned away from Sci & Tec party last night, thats bullshit considering its all access.

I don't think space will be an issue. They've been doing a pretty good job shuffling things around year after year. The Jungle venue is a great first step to be able to handle the big parties. So now they just have to balance the uber large parties and the smaller ones. Crazy to think Blue Parrot was able to hold the biggest parties just a few years ago.

Blue Parrot not letting in bracelet holders is bullshit, but what can they do? In Blue Parrot's defense, you have a large number of bracelet holders and no idea if they are going to show up or what. How do they determine how many tickets to sell and how many walk-ups they let in? Blue Parrot was relatively empty earlier on in the day, are they going to turn away people looking to get in because a large number of bracelet holders may show up at 3am? Very difficult to judge and if the club hits capacity they have no choice.

I think BPM got it pretty close to right this year. Do the Jungle party every other day to keep things fresh while keeping the clubs & beach clubs busy. I think they need to find a way to either expand Martina beach or find a way to drive people to the other beach clubs.

Solomun + 1 was stupidly busy at Martinas. The Jungle venue needs to hold all the big parties, cracking place.

Hi. I plan to visit mexico for honeymoney trip during late june. Anybody have information about catch same good party there? Thanxs.

Playa del Carmen and Tulum do not hold consistent parties outside of BPM. But for a honeymoon I would definitely recommend both. Tulum is a little bit more romantic and you can't really beat having lunch at Papaya Playa Project or anywhere on that strip.

I was back last night for This is the End with Jamie Jones, comfortable with room to dance. Great night, really liked Lauren Lane.

Back