Books about Ibiza?

JL Ferrer has a new book out: "Viaje al turismo basura" (trip to to the trash tourism), dedicated to Lloret de Mar, Salou, Barcelona, San Antonio y Magaluf...!

Are Lloret de Mar & Salou really that bad??? Certainly nowhere near Magaluf's league. And Barcelona??? Really?!

Wow. Then things must've really gone downhill in the decade-ish I've not been.

in fairness, most of the city's really nice, it's just the central stretch which is constant stag parties, illegals selling beers (stored in sewers), rodent infested kebab shops, tat everywhere, people on the rob, aggressive touting, pimps n whores and fake irish pubs and I guess that's what the author's mainly referring to.

of course, there was always a fair bit of seediness going back to the 19th century (sea port and all that) but it was more discreet in the past and now it's a free for all.

Aye the ramblas and barrio gotico is well seedy after dark. Good laugh to be had in Plaça Reial but thats pretty much the epicentre as far as i can remember. Such a stark difference between day and night.

I think Ferrer is correct to bracket all the resorts and major city break destinations together. They are all getting seedier because globalisation has made it easier for dodgy enterprises from around the world to target major tourist centres. The problem will only get worse because tourism continues to go up unchecked.

in fairness, most of the city's really nice

@Amp and Deck you seem pretty clued-up on things on the mainland. Did you say you live there?

For our sins, me and the missus have booked a week in Salou at the beginning of May. Budget break for her bday and (hopefully) some sun.

I've been to Barcelona half a dozen times in my youth, and she's never been.

So what are your recommendations: what to do? what not to do? what to avoid? I thinking of places to eat, tourists attractions etc.

Re: Salou itself... are there any decent bars/clubs? Maybe even best of a bad bunch? The main focus of the break will be relaxation, eating and drinking, but would be nice to know if there are options for nocturnal vocations

***apologies for thread hijack***

@Amp and Deck you seem pretty clued-up on things on the mainland. Did you say you live there?

For our sins, me and the missus have booked a week in Salou at the beginning of May. Budget break for her bday and (hopefully) some sun.

So what are your recommendations: what to do? what not to do? what to avoid? I thinking of places to eat, tourists attractions etc.

Re: Salou itself... are there any decent bars/clubs? Maybe even best of a bad bunch? The main focus of the break will be relaxation, eating and drinking, but would be nice to know if there are options for nocturnal vocations

yeah sure

can't help you much on Salou tbh not been for years although do remember the Dragon Khan at Port Aventura is as an intense a ride as I've ever been on

as for Barcelona, a lot to say. will respond properly when I have more time

Thank you.

never been to Barca, wife and I going for 4 days late May/early June, (hotel near Parc de la Ciutadella), so very interested in what you have to say too, cheers

Ok, have written some stuff before on here if you search the sonar threads so apols for repeats. copied some of this off some other notes I wrote. it should read ok

Starting with the obvious touristy bits:

Anything Gaudi (you need to book in advance for Park Guell as people often get turned away) Sagrada Familia also gets overrun with tourists, there are also 2 Gaudi buildings on Passeig de Gracia which are less famous but still worth a look (casa batllo and la pedrera)

Cathedral – complete with wandering geese inside and there are some very good buskers in the back streets just behind

Barrio Gotico (go for a drink at Bar Pi in Placa de Pi) - area's not what it was though tbh (although it has continually reeked of bad smells and worse since about 12AD)

Tapas at Xampanyet – turn up very early, queue outside if necessary - food is superb

Bar Marsella – for the absinthe

Bar Kentucky - no reason, just another bar I like

Nou Camp – can be fun - worth seeing who’s playing that weekend. If a no-hoper is in town, you can get pretty cheap seats. Actually looks like Barca are at Espanyol on other side of town on April 30. always has nasty potential, though nothing compared to UK derbys

Tibidabo hill (with church on it) – get tram half way up and change to funicular. Dead romantic. Views of whole city. Tucked away restaurant on hillside called Marissa (ignore the trip adviser negativity – staff/food actually ok). If you have energy/time, you can walk down from Tibidabo though the woods. You often see roaming wild boar on the higher ground.

Ciutadella park is a very rare green space in the city – you always get buskers/artists there. The zoo is mediocre these days, but I like that area a lot.

Clubs - Razzmatazz is BCN equivalent of Fabric/Ministry – biggest club in town. I personally prefer Sala Apolo for the NITSA nights. Something on there every Friday and Saturday. RA and Facebook pretty much have that side of things covered. I don't really do big clubs anymore. Depending on your dates there may be some daytime fun up at Montjuic (where the 1992 olympic stadium is) run by Picknik or Brunch (probably the most ibiza-y event in BCN). there may be other city festies going on that weekend. I’m trying out a new (to me) night called Origins this Friday at a different venue with a sweatier low ceiling vibe C Aragon 364 will report back on that. MOOG is usually reliable for techno. Macarena for house (though tiny)

If you like rooftop bars there’s a few of those - mostly opening soon for summer. They tend to be above hotels - except the roof of the old bullring at Plaça Espanya which got turned into a shopping mall when bullfights got banned – the bars/eats at the top aren’t anything special but 360 view is good (literally outside Espanya metro) – about 5-10min from centre on metro. as for the hotels, Hotel Majestic is probably the best known rooftop. Hotel Pulitzer is slightly cooler – some good music there

Born is one of the more interesting parts of town. I like a drink at Juanita La La near the harbour, although there are loads of bars/eats around Placa de Born. If you want to dine posh, then the food at Set Portes is excellent (although vibe isn’t all that). Gracia has it moments too. I like placa del sol for a beer but it can get crustie-central though...

Record shops – Discos Paradiso is really good for vinyl+friendly staff – worth checking out also for flyers, CDs, retro goods and other stuff. It’s round the corner from a really old bar called Beirut.

Modern arts – always worth checking listings for the CCCB Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona
– a bit like the barbican/south bank (some English stuff) – good indoor market just on the other side. mostly skateboard paradise

Port Olimpic/marina – I used to love it but really trashy now – best avoided. beach is good fun though tucked away just behind Barceloneta and stretches for miles divided up by different sections. may even be warm enough then. in barceloneta itself, some of the old survives. I really like a chilled drink at Absenta Bar. avoid the eats along the waterfront facing the city though. tourist trap central and really shit paellas.

Maremagnum – again very tacky but the wooden drawbridge across is nice enough in daytime

The Ramblas is a bit of a mess these days although generally harmless if you’re clued up. maybe I’m snotty but I just can’t stand the endless tat and touts, aggressive hookers, pissed up stags and dodgy illegals selling beer and hash (stored in sewers). Police are pretty laidback when it comes to smoking weed in street, just be discreet, esp if there are kids around. Loads of fake irish pubs and dodgy kebab shops, but inside placa real itself some nice bars have survived, esp Glaciar in the corner. Sidecar opposite has some good live music downstairs.

oh yeah, and the train from salou passes through sitges I think which is beautiful, again depending on time.

Salou is really nice but a bit quiet. Port Aventura is incredible, one of the best theme parks in Europe. If you like that sort of thing that is.

Salou is really nice but a bit quiet. Port Aventura is incredible, one of the best theme parks in Europe. If you like that sort of thing that is.

***apologises for on-going thread hijack***

I went to Port Aventura myself when I was 16/17. Loved it. My missus isn't into big rides unfortunately. And I must say I've been put off a lot these past 36-months with various malfunctions we've seen across the globe.

Back