Ask the PT

I get a bit stuck on snacks though, what do you recommend? (i've read things like a handful of roast peanuts can be ok?). I don't want to eat too much fruit!

Cheers for the help

Nuts are okay, but you should be careful as they are so calorie dense, it is easy to consume 500 cals in a matter of minutes and not feel full at all. I prefer to snack on a couple of eggs, or a cut of meat. Generally a protein/fat rich food is a good snack. Also, in your main meals, fill up on loads of dark green veg - these are very fibrous and will not really count towards calorie intake, and make you feel full for a long time.

Have fallen in love with Puy Lentils , they are boooom!
please dont tell me their actually bad for me , was assuming they were a good sort carbohydrate as they arent manufactured etc???

Have fallen in love with Puy Lentils , they are boooom!
please dont tell me their actually bad for me , was assuming they were a good sort carbohydrate as they arent manufactured etc???

They're a whole food - so yes they're going to be a good choice.

They're predominantly a high carb food, with a good source of (incomplete) proteins.

As a carb source they are great.

very true sir. I started on 1st october last year, quit drinking for six months at least , sorted out my diet,( low carb) and workout 5 days a week , two of those sessions are with a pt.

1/10/11 115.5kg.
1/2/12 101.5kg

The figure is slowing down now but will continue to drop slowly but this is counterbalanced by my muscle mass increasing so it's a little more difficult to say how much fat i will be losing.So tomorrow i am going for a bodystat and will do once a month for the next few months to see how my body compostion changes.

I follow this nutrition guide.

http://jamesmorrispt.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/nutrition-food-circle-101/

And it's working a treat, i have much improved energy levels, feel strong and am runing stronger and faster.

Golden Rule: If it Swims, Flies, Runs or Grows. Eat it!

That first line is exactly what more people should follow. It is hard to overeat massively if you eat whole, quality foods. Don't consume calories from liquids or junk foods.

www.revolutionfunctionalfitness.co.uk
Personal Training Sutton, London

Hmmm, interesting.

Very contradictory advice in that article.:confused: I had always understood beans to be an excellent source of carbs as they are way down on the GI??

I eat plenty of pulses/beans - low in fat (for training days), good starchy carbs and nice bit of protein in there too. The carbs I get from veg are incidental and I do not count them toward my daily macros. That nutrition plan is basically a very low carb, moderate protein, higher fat diet by the looks of things - you will get results from those tips - but if you are weight training, then I suggest you get some decent carbohydrate sources in there too.

Hi Londoner,
Im 50 years ols, so my metaboilic rate has changed,
Im a vegetarian,and have been for over 25 years,
at the moment Im 10st 10lb stone but Im only 4ft 11,3 years ago I lost nearly 4 stone on the cambridge diet, now when Ive consumed nearly 2000 calories a day I put on weight, dont eat chocolate or sweets very often, maybe once a week, I dont have a sweet tooth
my drinks consist mainly of green tea and the occasional coffee,

Breakfast is normally porridge made with water and low calorie sugar

Lunch is quite often small jacket potato with cheese and beans or a tin of weightwatchers soup

Evening meal is too be honest quite often some sort of quorn meal I make or a salad

snacks are usually apples or pears or a banana,
Ive been trying to lose weight since xmas but its just not happening, now as Im a childs height should I be consuming less calories than a woman whose a lot taller,
I dont really want to go back on the cambridge diet, but I can see it happening if the weight doesnt start to come off soon
thanks
Heather x

Hi Londoner,
Im 50 years ols, so my metaboilic rate has changed,
Im a vegetarian,and have been for over 25 years,
at the moment Im 10st 10lb stone but Im only 4ft 11,3 years ago I lost nearly 4 stone on the cambridge diet, now when Ive consumed nearly 2000 calories a day I put on weight, dont eat chocolate or sweets very often, maybe once a week, I dont have a sweet tooth
my drinks consist mainly of green tea and the occasional coffee,

Breakfast is normally porridge made with water and low calorie sugar

Lunch is quite often small jacket potato with cheese and beans or a tin of weightwatchers soup

Evening meal is too be honest quite often some sort of quorn meal I make or a salad

snacks are usually apples or pears or a banana,
Ive been trying to lose weight since xmas but its just not happening, now as Im a childs height should I be consuming less calories than a woman whose a lot taller,
I dont really want to go back on the cambridge diet, but I can see it happening if the weight doesnt start to come off soon
thanks
Heather x

A good calorie intake for fat loss is your weight in pounds x12 and x14, somewhere between those values. If you are working out stay nearer the x14 mark.
On non-workout days, shoot for 70% of the above calculation.
Or if not working out at all, aim for nearer the x12 mark.

Aim to get protein at every meal - as a vegie you will need to combine different sources of food to get a complete profile of amino acids (beans, pulses, nuts, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes etc). Vegans and vegies who I have trained have found it hard to get the required protein intake - and generally the nuts/beans/pulses contain fats and carbohydrates too, so it is hard to get a pure protein source other than shakes.

I'm the same - only a short ass, so the usual calculations don't work too well for me. Self experimentation has helped find my needed calories - be anal about recording calories in and get used to measures of various foods.

The environment has also really messed up peoples body's - things like thyroid function and menopause can really affect the way your body uses energy. Something to think about - not my expertise though.

Personal training Sutton, London

Hi thanks for reply, I am on thyroxine for life as well,which is another reason why I find it very difficult to lose weight,:x
I find to try to lose weight in the past, Ive had to cut down to wayyyy under 1000 calories a day, which to be honest is what my intake is on a daily basis, but still struggle to loseweight even on that amount of calories,so the calculations show due to my weight x12 I should be on about 1800 a day, I know for certain I would gain weight on those calories, being a short ass really is a pain, Id have to do my weight in lbs x 6, to try to lose weight,
on cambridge diet my calorie intake everyday was about 500, and had to drink 3 litres of water a day, it did work for me, in the years since I lost all that weight, my weight has fluctuated between 10stone and 10 st 10, but even 10st 10 is a lot better than when I was nearly 15 stone, being a short ass I was nearly as wide as I was tall,

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on that. Results will eventually slow down (water loss, muscle glycogen etc.) - but keep it going. Slow and steady wins the race all day long in the weight loss game.

If I increase the weights I'm lifting, will that help burn off more calories? I really want to keep it to losing 2-3 pounds a week and I guess lifting heavier will help towards that?

I also do NO cardio at all, should I do at least 1 day a week of this? I don't particulary enjoy it and weight lifting seems to be working for me.

Cheers

If I increase the weights I'm lifting, will that help burn off more calories? I really want to keep it to losing 2-3 pounds a week and I guess lifting heavier will help towards that?

I also do NO cardio at all, should I do at least 1 day a week of this? I don't particulary enjoy it and weight lifting seems to be working for me.

Cheers

More weight = more work = more calories. Simple as. Also, building muscle is expensive metabolically, so the more muscle you have the more calories your body needs just to maintain it.

You should also look to be progressive in training. Ultimately if you are looking to improve physique and fitness, there is no point in maintaining your weights. Look to add more weight i.e. start at 3x8, then when you can do 3x12 of that weight increase the weight and start at 3x8 again (a very simple and quick example).

If weightlifting is working for you, then stick to it. Cardio isn't necessary. Maybe a 5 minute finisher at the end of a workout i.e. row 1km as quickly as you can (again, a very simple example).

6x10 is quite a lot of volume to be using for every exercise. How many exercises are you doing per workout and how heavy a weight for each one in terms of 1 rep max %?

I normally suggest a strength exercise for each major body part (either 5x5 or building up to one heavy set of 5 + warm up sets), and then do assistance work etc.

Kettlebell and Personal Training in Sutton, London

Back