10 ways Ibiza will change in 2019

Whatever the way Oliver says his sentences about clubbing in ibiza, he's totally right about the situation and the evolution of the night scene on the island.
I see absolutely nothing positive about this business model,except for the bank account of the owners.

Fair play, but from what I have seen I dont like it. I can't think of anything else that would convince me otherwise.

I just can't picture myself being there, plus I still say "Please may/can I have" when I order drinks as opposed to "Can I get"

Let the younger ones enjoy it, daytime is for beach or pool for me.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek. I think we are both on the same page and very much in agreement here.

I too worry about other places copying IR and OBC and its going to happen..its not rocket science .. as Kevin Costner said "if you build it,they will come"..

By no means an OBC but im sure es cana already has some sorta pool/bar (not connected to a hotel) with tunes on and linen white beds!

ignorant about what exactly?

I've never made any secret of the fact I would like to see these types of venues eradicated.

there's a cultural war going on, whether you like it or not. if other venues try to copy the success of this lot, then these places will spread everywhere. No beach will be safe, no finca will be safe, no chiringuito will be safe.

the days of harmonious co-existence are over.

Destroy - or be destroyed. Your call.

Haha

I think we share the same views underneath it all

But I'm more c'est la vie and your more this is sparta!

By no means an OBC but im sure es cana already has some sorta pool/bar (not connected to a hotel) with tunes on and linen white beds!
You must be talking about Jacaranda Lounge, been going longer than OBI and for many, many years before it's name change when it was connected to the apartments next door....

Ibiza in general is for a younger crowed that is not to say you cannot go to OBC

I have seen plenty of people in their 40's and 50's there - in fact when I went in May which granted is out of season the majority of people were 30+

@Life of Rye not being funny but "Ibiza in general" is 100% NOT "for a younger crowd", the majority of whom spend their days and nights rotating between pin pricks on a map of the island moaning about prices or blowing two months' wages in a long weekend of party favours and entry tickets, and are largely utterly clueless what lies beyond. Even less interested !

Away from the insular world of clubbing holidays are thousands of other people enjoying one of the best destinations in the Mediterranean. More so than ever before with the influx of mature money Ibiza is streets ahead of most of the rest of the Med. Taking just one example in terms of having stuff like progressive water toys available - foils, makos, radinns, curfs the lot - if you want them and can pay they are a phone call away. Almost impossible in most of the rest of the Mediterranean. Villa upon villa and hotel upon hotel full of "older" people whose holidays don't revolve entirely around clubbing every night and hanging all day.

World champion freedivers are flown out to give private lessons, personal trainers are booked solid from the beginning of Summer to the end doing private sessions, there's solar eco-catamarans, more yoga and pilates sessions than grams of coke and scores of hotel rooms North East of Talamanca chock full of families more interested in the creche facilities and when the pool sunbeds open in the morning than the lineup at Amnesia. The list just goes on and on.

OBC attracts all ages as it's a gogglebox and major feature in most inflight magazines but in all honesty the one time I went the atmosphere was about as fun as going clothes shopping with your girlfriend. They may have felt different but all I saw was a load of people as they say "doing their best to have a good time". Perhaps the Instagram validation factor and alcohol combined was enough to compensate. On the other hand you have Blue Marlin. The place people who do actually have money go to be seen and show off instead.... and guess what, on the whole they're generally older ! I wouldn't step foot in Nikki Beach but I'll wager it's not dissimilar.

I think you need to be careful making sweeping statements about "Ibiza in general" being for a younger crowd. At least you need to see a lot more of it before reaching such conclusions ;)

the islanders are free to do with it what they will. and they have decided they want to wring out the $$$$$$, so i reckon we'll see more of the same next year not less

@Life of Rye not being funny but "Ibiza in general" is 100% NOT "for a younger crowd", the majority of whom spend their days and nights rotating between pin pricks on a map of the island moaning about prices or blowing two months' wages in a long weekend of party favours and entry tickets, and are largely utterly clueless what lies beyond. Even less interested !

Away from the insular world of clubbing holidays are thousands of other people enjoying one of the best destinations in the Mediterranean. More so than ever before with the influx of mature money Ibiza is streets ahead of most of the rest of the Med. Taking just one example in terms of having stuff like progressive water toys available - foils, makos, radinns, curfs the lot - if you want them and can pay they are a phone call away. Almost impossible in most of the rest of the Mediterranean. Villa upon villa and hotel upon hotel full of "older" people whose holidays don't revolve entirely around clubbing every night and hanging all day.

World champion freedivers are flown out to give private lessons, personal trainers are booked solid from the beginning of Summer to the end doing private sessions, there's solar eco-catamarans, more yoga and pilates sessions than grams of coke and scores of hotel rooms North East of Talamanca chock full of families more interested in the creche facilities and when the pool sunbeds open in the morning than the lineup at Amnesia. The list just goes on and on.

OBC attracts all ages as it's a gogglebox and major feature in most inflight magazines but in all honesty the one time I went the atmosphere was about as fun as going clothes shopping with your girlfriend. They may have felt different but all I saw was a load of people as they say "doing their best to have a good time". Perhaps the Instagram validation factor and alcohol combined was enough to compensate. On the other hand you have Blue Marlin. The place people who do actually have money go to be seen and show off instead.... and guess what, on the whole they're generally older ! I wouldn't step foot in Nikki Beach but I'll wager it's not dissimilar.

I think you need to be careful making sweeping statements about "Ibiza in general" being for a younger crowd. At least you need to see a lot more of it before reaching such conclusions ;)

I don't dispute anything you write but I guess this end of the forum is more aimed at the party people and the free-spirited elders (ie me + maybe 7 others) wanna know where they can still let their hair down well away from planet sunbed. I can get my revitalising health kicks anywhere (not that I ever do, but that's a whole separate topic lol)

Well aware that Ibiza caters for all ages but you only have to look at the passengers on your flights and social media to determine that Ibiza in general attracts more of a younger audience

Well aware that Ibiza caters for all ages but you only have to look at the passengers on your flights and social media to determine that Ibiza in general attracts more of a younger audience

It attracts all ages - if you take the BA cityflyer rather than the Luton midnight express you'll likely see predominantly 30-somethings. Same goes for a lot of the daytime tour operator regional flights and non-British flights. I appreciate you're basing your views on your own experiences but they come from a very narrow viewpoint of Ibiza "as a whole"

Making the observation that Ibiza is for the younger generation based on your limited experience, is like visiting the creche at Canary Wharf and assuming the whole building is a place for children.

Because the younger audience is on social media much more than the older ones, because they use the low-cost companies more than the old ones or families...
For example, when I take the ferry for ibiza, 95% of the passengers are families...
Es Cana, Santa Eulalia, Cala Sant Vicent, Sant Miquel, Portinatx or San Carlos are not really full of clubbers.
When I take the plane from Geneva, Lyon or Barcelona, clubbers are a minority.
Don't think the crowd you cross in a Ryan air flight from London a Thursday or Friday night is the rule...

My brother flew out to surprise me from Southend last week in the thick of closing party season, and was amazed that 90% of the flight was families with babies and OAPs!!

Back