10 ways Ibiza will change in 2019

Since when has OCB been "affordable"? From what I've heard drinks prices are still on the high side! I must be in the wrong job :eek:

My thoughts exactly. Also how many times do they wanna mention OBC and Ibiza Rocks!? Misleading headline to say the least

not that I'd think that mixmag article is good, but on these two statements, I do have a reaction.

ocean beach is still really cheap to get in. 10-30€ mostly. it might not have the biggest line ups of the island, but it's open for 8-10 hours which is longer than most nightclubs. and even though drinks aren't cheap, their prices are a tad lower than in the night clubs IIRC.

a very similar case over at ibiza rocks hotel. tickets started at 15€ and even for their big events with big artists you could get tix for as little as 25-30€ if you booked early. same goes for drinks, they are cheaper than in clubs.

if we are talking vip table or bed prices, they are also lower and thus more affordable than in the night clubs.

I often disagree with jonny lee's articles (or should I say with some content thereof) but in this specific case I personally cannot see any error in what he said. and - yeah you will read the full monty of that in our season review to come soon - in ibiza rocks' case, they were one of the big winners this summer, period.

I feel bad for es paradis I’m not that bothered about Eden, but Christ the amount of people that walk past es paradis too ocean beach and don’t know the history of that club is crazy!

Es paradis is family run very badly and suffer because of it, just awful.

I don't believe San An on the decline either, i spoke to Dermot who runs Eden and they have had a great year, I went to Defected opening and it was ramo

" from what I've heard " .... That quote always makes me laugh - OB has done very well, I went only the once and I had a great day out, beers and wine were average price and cheaper than the clubs, we stayed in there 7 hours, I just took it as laugh. It's a great business plan, the money it makes vrs outlay is mind boggling.

The moaning about the Instagram / phone generation on here is sooooo boring, it's their generation they don't know any different and its here to stay, and sure one or two clubs are supposedly banning it but judging by the amount of pics and videos I see on my FB feed from DC10 or The Egg club every week it's not exactly enforced.

Es paradis is family run very badly and suffer because of it, just awful.

I don't believe San An on the decline either, i spoke to Dermot who runs Eden and they have had a great year, I went to Defected opening and it was ramo

" from what I've heard " .... That quote always makes me laugh - OB has done very well, I went only the once and I had a great day out, beers and wine were average price and cheaper than the clubs, we stayed in there 7 hours, I just took it as laugh. It's a great business plan, the money it makes vrs outlay is mind boggling.

The moaning about the Instagram / phone generation on here is sooooo boring, it's their generation they don't know any different and its here to stay, and sure one or two clubs are supposedly banning it but judging by the amount of pics and videos I see on my FB feed from DC10 or The Egg club every week it's not exactly enforced.

Depends what night you go to on the phones
Musicon/Solid Grooves a handful of people lift their phones
Resistance with Carl Cox - Worse than an EDM event literally everyone was recording

My mate sticks his phone on camera then puts it in his pocket to record any tunes he likes.

Don’t obviously get the visual but it certainly picks up the audio including some cringeworthy conversations that have to get vetted before they can be shared with others :confused:

not that I'd think that mixmag article is good, but on these two statements, I do have a reaction.

ocean beach is still really cheap to get in. 10-30€ mostly. it might not have the biggest line ups of the island, but it's open for 8-10 hours which is longer than most nightclubs. and even though drinks aren't cheap, their prices are a tad lower than in the night clubs IIRC.

a very similar case over at ibiza rocks hotel. tickets started at 15€ and even for their big events with big artists you could get tix for as little as 25-30€ if you booked early. same goes for drinks, they are cheaper than in clubs.

if we are talking vip table or bed prices, they are also lower and thus more affordable than in the night clubs.

I often disagree with jonny lee's articles (or should I say with some content thereof) but in this specific case I personally cannot see any error in what he said. and - yeah you will read the full monty of that in our season review to come soon - in ibiza rocks' case, they were one of the big winners this summer, period.

They are both doing well thats a fact lets face it i would guess a very high percentage of 18-30 year olds would visit either or during a holiday. It’s just funny how €30 to get in and drinks slightly less expensive than clubs is considered cheap /affordable in Ibz when lets be honest it’s neither

It's not cheaper per drink. It's merely cheaper per head. You can get a bed for 10 for around €1000. So essentially €100 each and it include a few bottles.
The equivalent at Pacha - the chèapest of the club VIPs* - would be €250-300 per head. And it wouldn't be in the sun with a pool.
You get more for your money in terms of drink at Pacha, but €100 to €250 is a huge gulf - especially for 18-25 who are working minimum wage the other 51 weeks of the year.

*maybe not Es Paradis or Eden, but who wants to go VIP there - no good for tha gram?

OBC is definitely for the younger crowd (on the whole). I have never been, but I can make a detailed assessment from the videos.

Ibiza in general is for a younger crowed that is not to say you cannot go to OBC

I have seen plenty of people in their 40's and 50's there - in fact when I went in May which granted is out of season the majority of people were 30+

Not sure I agree Rye re younger crowd. Certain parts of the island attract a younger crowd yes and lots of young people go to Ibiza. It’s not all 18-30s though and 40s/50s isn’t old by any imagination (although it might feel old in OBC).

IR and OCB are the enemy. it's that simple. you're on my side (l'antigua eivissa) or you're on their side (high street UK)

They are doing something right
Remove the Insta filters - OBC is a very well run venue and in the world of Ibiza it is very good value for money which is why it is so popular.

There is a time and place to get hot and sweaty until 6am. OBC fills the gaps

IR and OCB are the enemy. it's that simple. you're on my side (l'antigua eivissa) or you're on their side (high street UK)
Quite an ignorant comment no?
It's not to your taste, completely not my taste either but it's very popular and you should just respect that some people are having the time of their lives there.

On my flight over everyone around me was talking about ocean beach closing as the pinnacle of their holiday, when I said I was going to cocoon closing at pacha they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, infact they tried to correct me and said it must be David guetta closing I must be talking about.

It is what it is, I told them I hope they have a great time, at no point did I turn my nose up at them, or try to 'educate' them on dance music etc

Can make a detailed assessment by standing on the wall and looking in for 3 seconds.

Each to their own though.
Fair play, but from what I have seen I dont like it. I can't think of anything else that would convince me otherwise.

I just can't picture myself being there, plus I still say "Please may/can I have" when I order drinks as opposed to "Can I get"

Let the younger ones enjoy it, daytime is for beach or pool for me.

Quite an ignorant comment no?
It's not to your taste, completely not my taste either but it's very popular and you should just respect that some people are having the time of their lives there.

On my flight over everyone around me was talking about ocean beach closing as the pinnacle of their holiday, when I said I was going to cocoon closing at pacha they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, infact they tried to correct me and said it must be David guetta closing I must be talking about.

It is what it is, I told them I hope they have a great time, at no point did I turn my nose up at them, or try to 'educate' them on dance music etc

ignorant about what exactly?

I've never made any secret of the fact I would like to see these types of venues eradicated.

there's a cultural war going on, whether you like it or not. if other venues try to copy the success of this lot, then these places will spread everywhere. No beach will be safe, no finca will be safe, no chiringuito will be safe.

the days of harmonious co-existence are over.

Destroy - or be destroyed. Your call.

Back