Wouldn't the clubs make more money if the drinks were cheaper?

There is every reason for to sell a drink for £15, if you run a club and want to make a lot of money.

And there is a reason to buy a £15 drink, if you decide you want one, and you are in a club run by the guy I mentioned above.

But of course, you could just not go to that club, or go and not buy a drink. It's entirely your choice.

I can assure you the 'propaganda' doesn't make me think it's cheap, or that it's right. But it is what it is.
Of course. I just said the same.

The propaganda may not make you think its cheap, you find it acceptable though.

Why stop at £15? Where does it stop?

It wasnt long ago that a good night in Ibiza would charge 3-4k pesetas and with that you got a free drink and a free taxi if there were 4. Things changed considerably as Ibiza became more popular and Spain joined the euro. I think clubbers need to be careful what propoganda they choose to accept otherwise the 73euro door tax may become the norm for big nights faster than they think. This is exactly the route taken regarding drink prices - one took a split from the cartel, the rest followed. The same happened as 48 euro entry became the norm.

Anyway, back to the op question - If drink prices were more reasonable I'd do my drinking in the club, drink a lot more and I'd get their a lot earlier. And I know a lot of other people would do the same. Is this the majority view? I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I can't wait til the footballers and movie stars decide to go spend a week on a yacht somewhere else, and kids decide they want to get a guitar not decks, and then Ibiza will be 'over' and can get back to being a holiday destination for ravers in the summer.

It might stop then.

For what it's worth, I can't wait til the footballers and movie stars decide to go spend a week on a yacht somewhere else, and kids decide they want to get a guitar not decks, and then Ibiza will be 'over' and can get back to being a holiday destination for ravers in the summer.

It might stop then.
Ha, true. That may take some time. Who know what future generations will make of it. What Ibiza is now is a relatively new phenomena though that hasnt even lasted three decades yet.

Thats about cost and standard of living. Ibiza does not have the same cost and standard of living you refer to.

While i understand what you are saying, i dont totally agree. Clubs in new york are of no higher standard than Ibiza and believe me Output isn't paying much for 16 oz cans of Brooklyn Ale when the brewery is down the block and they charge $9, they probably pay .50 a can so it isn't totally about cost either, but more simply demand as if people are paying it why shouldn't they charge it. I dont like paying it and I'll certainly limit myself but what can ya do if you want a beer? Only 2 options pay it or not. Theres plenty of options in Nyc and elsewhere around the world to go and pay bottom dollar for the same drinks but again matter of choice to frequent those places.

While i understand what you are saying, i dont totally agree. Clubs in new york are of no higher standard than Ibiza and believe me Output isn't paying much for 16 oz cans of Brooklyn Ale when the brewery is down the block and they charge $9, they probably pay .50 a can so it isn't totally about cost either, but more simply demand as if people are paying it why shouldn't they charge it. I dont like paying it and I'll certainly limit myself but what can ya do if you want a beer? Only 2 options pay it or not. Theres plenty of options in Nyc and elsewhere around the world to go and pay bottom dollar for the same drinks but again matter of choice to frequent those places.
I don't disagree. I just think you compared apples with oranges in the previous post. But $9 isnt 15 euro. And door charges in my experience of NYC clubbing is nowhere near that of Ibiza. As for the nights? Well as a tourist I have always enjoyed NYC clubbing as I have Ibizan.

They charge what they charge because they can as you say. They don't have the same long term customer loyalty to consider that most businesses do so they think they can take the piss and they do. Most people are in Ibiza for a few days. After a few visits they will stop attending. New nights and new clubs will emerge as fashionable for a new set of clubbers. Rinse and repeat.

Question is, at what point does the seasoned and dedicated clubber say no more? I have for the Solomun night. I am disappointed but I am not paying that. Instead i shall enjoy Ants, Circo Loco and Sasha and Digweed in my four days there and I will find some else to attend on the Sunday instead. Time will tell how many others follow suit and for how long those charges will be sustained. Either everything will go up as it has previously or it will die, as other nights did when they became unfashionable or took charging too far.

Not that I want to get pulled into whether Ibiza prices are a rip-off, but I started to get curious about what the actual figures show. I first went on an Ibizan clubbing holiday in 1994, and I remember the holiday cost me a £1000 including flights/accomodation/food/drinks/other supplies. If I convert that to todays money, using this site (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html) then equates to £1830 now, which xe.com tells me is 2140 Euros. That was for a week, so that works out at 305 Euros/day and that was staying in a 1 star sh1t-hole in San Antonio, surviving on 1 spaghetti bolognaise/day, taking the bus everywhere and drinking water in the club as I couldn't afford any alcohol. Nowadays I might spend a bit more (but not that much) and I eat at lovely restaurants (although still rarely more than once a day :lol:), stay in a nice hotel( I can usually find something at 100 Euros/night), take taxis everywhere, and even treat myself to a few drinks in a club (although I'm a mostly water man ;))

However, this is only my personal recollection, so I did a bit more research and found this : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/ibiza99/clubs.shtml which shows that 'average' prices for a drink (I assume a beer?) in 1999 varied from 1000 pesetas to 1750 pesetas. xe.com allow for historical conversions and, at that time, 1000 pesetas equates to 6 Euros (in 2002 money) and 1750 pesetas to 10 Euros. However we have to adjust these prices for inflation and this site (http://fxtop.com/en/inflation-calcu...&MM2=03&YYYY2=2017&btnOK=Compute+actual+value) tells me in that 6 Euros is now 8.76 Euros and 10 Euros is now 14.60 Euros.

So top end club beer prices (i.e. those for the most popular nights) haven't actually changed that much. I think what you can say is that clubs have all moved their averages up to match one another so that you don't find the lower end prices at the big clubs anymore (DC-10 maybe being the exception).

If I applied the same analysis to door prices then the same radio 1 link, suggests ticket prices for the bigger clubs varied from 4000-7000 pesetas which equates to 24-42 Euros in 1999 prices and 33-56 Euros in 2017 prices. Here I think you can argue that prices have most definitely increased for the 'premier' nights but saying that I paid 30 odd Euros for early bird Afterlife tickets and 41 Euros for my Cocoon tickets last year, still comfortably in the same range as the turn of the century.

Yes I agree, there were 'free' taxis and 1 one free drink back in the day but I think the perception that prices have gone through the roof might also be slightly faulty.

To add to that, can I say that if you took advantage of the pre-purchase drinks tickets at Space last year, you could buy water at 6 Euros each (10x60 Euros) which is what me and few mates did or have beer at 10 Euros each (10x100 Euros). I'm not trying to suggest this is a bargain, but these prices were actually cheaper than some clubs were charging at the turn of the century.

Food (and drink) for thought ;)

Not that I want to get pulled into whether Ibiza prices are a rip-off, but I started to get curious about what the actual figures show. I first went on an Ibizan clubbing holiday in 1995, and I remember the holiday cost me a £1000 including flights/accomodation/food/drinks/other supplies. If I convert that to todays money, using this site (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html) then equates to £1830 now, which xe.com tells me is 2140 Euros. That was for a week, so that works out at 305 Euros/day and that was staying in a 1 star sh1t-hole in San Antonio, surviving on 1 spaghetti bolognaise/day, taking the bus everywhere and drinking water in the club as I couldn't afford any alcohol. Nowadays I might spend a bit more (but not that much) and I eat at lovely restaurants (although still rarely more than once a day :lol:), stay in a nice hotel( I can usually find something at 100 Euros/night), take taxis everywhere, and even treat myself to a few drinks in a club (although I'm a mostly water man ;))

However, this is only my personal recollection, so I did a bit more research and found this : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/ibiza99/clubs.shtml which shows that 'average' prices for a drink (I assume a beer?) in 1999 varied from 1000 pesetas to 1750 pesetas. xe.com allow for historical conversions and, at that time, 1000 pesetas equates to 6 Euros (in 2002 money) and 1750 pesetas to 10 Euros. However we have to adjust these prices for inflation and this site (http://fxtop.com/en/inflation-calcu...&MM2=03&YYYY2=2017&btnOK=Compute+actual+value) tells me in that 6 Euros is now 8.76 Euros and 10 Euros is now 14.60 Euros.

So top end club beer prices (i.e. those for the most popular nights) haven't actually changed that much. I think what you can say is that clubs have all moved their averages up to match one another so that you don't find the lower end prices at the big clubs anymore (DC-10 maybe being the exception).

If I applied the same analysis to door prices then the same radio 1 link, suggests ticket prices for the bigger clubs varied from 4000-7000 pesetas which equates to 24-42 Euros in 1999 prices and 33-56 Euros in 2017 prices. Here I think you can argue that prices have most definitely increased for the 'premier' nights but saying that I paid 30 odd Euros for early bird Afterlife tickets and 41 Euros for my Cocoon tickets last year, still comfortably in the same range as the turn of the century.

Yes I agree, there were 'free' taxis and 1 one free drink back in the day but I think the perception that prices have gone through the roof might also be slightly faulty.

To add to that, can I say that if you took advantage of the pre-purchase drinks tickets at Space last year, you could buy water at 6 Euros each (10x60 Euros) which is what me and few mates did or have beer at 10 Euros each (10x100 Euros). I'm not trying to suggest this is a bargain, but these prices were actually cheaper than some clubs were charging at the turn of the century.

Food (and drink) for thought ;)

Post of the season, right there.

you're a braver man than me mate
I'm from Yorkshire :D

Although tbf it seemed just like normal municipal water supply, none of us had problems with it. Space is/was not drinkable. Not tried the water in the other clubs... yet!

And on topic, the prices might be higher cause people only buy one or two and get loaded/swedgered beforehand.

When I went to cocoon at amnesia a vodka mixer went from approx €18 to €25 by the end of the night. It wasn't that busy so guess needed to make their "quota" for the wall insulation.

Me and my mate usually only spend around €20-40 a night in a club between us.... like I said, I'm from Yorkshire lol

I'm thrifty and find the drinks prices outrageous so for the most part don't pay them. I've happily bought one bottle of water which I've refilled from the taps in Amnesia, Pacha, Eden, Es Paradis and Ushuaia. Privilege and Space were salty and undrinkable.

I'm not recommending this (don't want the blame if someone does get an upset) but can say in years of ibiza clubbing I've never had any stomach problems and saved a fortune as a result.

Ibiza clubs tend to be a lot cooler too than elsewhere so less need to hydrate (again, just my experience).

Filling up water in Amnesia never had any issues. Space was always too hot and salty

The do like it do buy it attitude I can accept where alcohol is concerned, but we need water and plenty of it when in a hot club dancing for hours, we can't just choose not to drink it.
I could absolutely happily settle for alcohol staying the same price and water being reduced

Also, I didn't realise so many people here or ibiza didn't take sweeties, hats off

i dont drink tap water at home
Never in ibz, u can feel the salt when having a shower..
& to drink tap water in a club ,No way, if u get ill a way to spoil ur ibz trip
if u r thirsty & can't afford some water, Suck some lolipop! it work for ages in ibz :lol:

I'm not sure if there is a municipal water supply and individual hotels/areas have their own desalination plants, but there is a massive variation between hotels next door to each other and clubs across the island.

Amnesia tap water (upstairs terrace toilets) to me seemed no different from the tap water back in Yorkshire, but space was most definitely pretty much sea water (which couldn't be much good for the pipework).

Club bahamas shower water had a "greasy" feel you get from salty water, but grand paladium next door didn't. Both had from what I could spy their own desalination or water plants. Guess some spend more on extra processing?

Would be interesting to know what areas use aquifer water and others desalination. :)

As for sucking a lolly, I find halls menthol sweets are good for that lol

I find that a quick tab, followed up by a chewy helps. I aint sucking no lolly like the 90s trance days.

yes i forgot to mention tabs/gums
since 16 my lolipop best flavour is mint/anis (new chupa chup flavour u wont find in ibz), fruits flavour are too much sugar taste , 2nd is nexpresso, i remember give the nespresso to some girls in clubs & they spit it right away :lol:
what a waste. :rolleyes:

I ve noticed,the water when having shower may hurt /tick ur eyes too if u dont close them :lol:, in my lugage 5 packs 30mini lolipop, & 3 pack by 5 gums :cool:
I ,ve seen spain people with a tricky machine under their vest where they are sipping water :D, not my kind, better drink 2 l water just b4 entering the club :spank:

If on the way to vanish or warm weather such as in outdoor places, i just buy water & ask for a glass of ice so ur water can last 01h00...& trust me, if u drink 2 water l , one aquarius liter, add it some hierbas shots,1hour b4 getting to the club, u won't be thirsty in the clubs :lol: unless u eats some .....:spank:

ps:price in afterparties are a bargain :), 5€ u got a smoothie with squeezed fruits the guy make it live , 5€ 2 soft drinks (eg 33cl coke) or 1 Beer, but u have to succeed to get in :p

Back