Wouldn't the clubs make more money if the drinks were cheaper?

That's a bargain for what you paid, we all know what kind of "candy" they're eating. Ibiza is perfect in every way shape and form as a lot of their events can compete with premier league or a grand scale opera. We're witnessing the greatest evolution in dance music history right now and we should pay even more
What candy would that be?
I won't even begin on the rest of that nonsensical post

The "if you don't like it don't go" attitude,,, have a word with yourself.

If your landlord raised your rent by 30% next month would you be happy with him saying if you don't like it then move?
Or if your boss said your getting g s pay cut and said if you don't like it then find another job.

If your landlord raised your rent by 30% next month would you be happy with him saying if you don't like it then move?
Or if your boss said your getting g s pay cut and said if you don't like it then find another job.
Exactly, we all know how much stuff is but it don't make it right.
I don't complain about it but it does cross my mind as i pass the clubs threshold.
I'll be honest, it annoys me more when bars are nearly charging club prices. I won't list them but we could all name one or two.

wouldn't like it one bit, but both scenarios happen all the time to be honest, and you have got a choice

I agree, the prices are stupid for drinks in Ibiza, but it's the same in a lot of hotels, bars, clubs, restaurants around the world.

I've always managed to keep it to 2 or 3 drinks in the clubs any more than that and it just becomes a waste of money..

Like its been said previously, a lot of people take drugs at the clubs, this affects bar sales

Also, they are a 4 month a year business

Difference is we aint talking about them raising the prices are we? If they decided to raise them higher then yeah very unfair. Has it ever really been cheap? You don't see many complaining about a designer coat being a rip off? If people don't like it or agree with it they go for a cheaper high street brand. Same principle applies hear, Ibiza is the top of the top clubbing destinations in the world so expect to pay a premium. I don't agree with the prices but it is what it is and like someone else said you have a choice no one is forcing you to pay these prices.

Refer back to the original question in the post title.

Would the club make more money if drinks were cheaper.

I doubt they would.

Most people are on the sweeties in the big clubs.

Yes people probably also like to have some drinks but I guess 2-3 drinks throughout the night would be suffice.

I don't take any sweeties and will do as most other do pre drink a little in the apartment, disco bus and before heading inside suck it up and pay the money for a few drinks.

Do I like paying those prices No. is it robbery yes but I choose to come to Ibiza and listen to sick tunes in a environment that none can compare.

My biggest gripe is that my wife doesn't drink or take any sweeties and then paying €40/50 extra on top of ticket prices for her to drink water in the club as very annoying.

Some posters here have become so institutionalised they are believing the propaganda. Of course 15 euro for a small beer is a rip off. Just like 73 euro to see Solomun at Pacha. Where else in the World are such club prices tolerated? Absolutely nowhere.

I can see the supply and demand case for Solomun. The case can be similarly made for hundreds of touring djs across the world every weekend. And we rarely see prices like that anywhere else in a club. Solomun and Pacha are cashing in / taking advantage. Time wil tell if he has longevity, no one knows the answer to that. Solomun and Pacha aren't the first and won't be the last.

To say most clubbers are doing narcotics in most Ibizan club everytime they go out is absolutely nonsense. Sure, a lot do. But many more don't. Its pretty easy to tell. And many of those doing class A's are drinking alcohol too.

Drinks prices are based around a cartel. Thats why its a minimum of 8 euro for a tiny bottle of water that costs less than 20 cents to buy from a wholesaler. The margins are such that the cost of employing staff is negligible in comparison to the mark up on a 330ml bottle of San Miguel. Of course there is a business plan, the plan is to get as much mark up out of the product as possible till they reach breaking point. Of course its a 5 month visible business, the rest of the year is spent planning, reviewing and rebuilding - clubs are very much a 12 month operation that cash in over a 5 month period, in most cases. The big ibizan clubs run more big door tax, big drink price nights in a 5 month window than most clubs elsewhere in the world do in two years and none of them are charging even in the vicinity of the Ibizan clubs.

The club's business plan is based on short termism - short term nights, short term customers, short term loyalty from the customers to the Island. It always has been. Most popular nights are done within ten years, there are very, very few Cocoon's around. Club popularity varies and they go in and out of fashion - Space wasnt always rammed, Privi wasnt always empty and there was a time when Es Paradis was one of the most popular clubs around and had nights that enabled that to happen. Most Ibizan club goers are similarly gone within that ten year period and in reality probably half that time or certainly become less prolific in terms of attendance. The clubbers and nights and in some cases the clubs do a few years, get rinsed out and and the cycle starts again. Thats why the clubs get away with their pricing policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
good points LBS

worth perhaps adding that a lot of parties now don't even play drug music anyway eg craig david, rich bitch, flower power, children of 80s - so I'm not sure if the 'everyone's on sweeties instead' argument still stacks up

You will pay upwards of £10 for a drink in some hotels in London. Likewise in Nice, Paris, Rome and pretty much every major city in Europe. So the idea that it's only Ibiza that rip you off on drinks just isn't true.

It's not being institutionalised, or swallowing the propaganda, it's just understanding that if you want a drink in a club in Ibiza, it will cost silly money.

You will pay upwards of £10 for a drink in some hotels in London. Likewise in Nice, Paris, Rome and pretty much every major city in Europe. So the idea that it's only Ibiza that rip you off on drinks just isn't true.

It's not being institutionalised, or swallowing the propaganda, it's just understanding that if you want a drink in a club in Ibiza, it will cost silly money.
Yes. £5 cheaper than a bottle of San Miguel in most clubs. And these hotel overheads are considerably more than those of a nightclub. You just proved the point.

You absolutely are swallowing the propoganda! Absolutely blinded by it. There is no reason to charge £15 for 330ml bottle of San Miguel anywhere.

Ps. Would I do the same as a club owner? Based on the short termist business planning........damn right, if i could get away with it!

Agree with this, its basically just what you are used to. Living in New york city, if i were to go out to a manhattan club or really even Output for example in Brooklyn which is pretty much "the club" people now know in new york, a mixed drink will cost around $13-15, so going to Ibiza it doesnt really phase me all that much. If i wanted i can go to Malta and get that same drink for 2-3 euro but its not going to be same scene. All that said i do think its overpriced but I guess when you're used to it, you dont think anything of it sadly enough.

Agree with this, its basically just what you are used to. Living in New york city, if i were to go out to a manhattan club or really even Output for example in Brooklyn which is pretty much "the club" people now know in new york, a mixed drink will cost around $13-15, so going to Ibiza it doesnt really phase me all that much. If i wanted i can go to Malta and get that same drink for 2-3 euro but its not going to be same scene. All that said i do think its overpriced but I guess when you're used to it, you dont think anything of it sadly enough.
Thats about cost and standard of living. Ibiza does not have the same cost and standard of living you refer to. You might get used to it, it doesnt mean that you arent getting abused and many here have become accepting of that abuse while the rest tolerate it or don't go.

Ibiza's clubbing charging policy is predacated on short termism. They don't need to maintain the same loyal customer base en masse for life that many other businesses do.

There is every reason for to sell a drink for £15, if you run a club and want to make a lot of money.

And there is a reason to buy a £15 drink, if you decide you want one, and you are in a club run by the guy I mentioned above.

But of course, you could just not go to that club, or go and not buy a drink. It's entirely your choice.

I can assure you the 'propaganda' doesn't make me think it's cheap, or that it's right. But it is what it is.

Back