Why the poppy music isnt so bad...

You have to remember a basis of my argument was the fact that i grew up in America and had virtually no access or exposure to real dance music as a teenager. In 2008 you couldnt even find EDM on the radio. Unless you were friends with someone who drug you into the scene, which i wasnt. You are never exposed to it. We dont have BBC Radio 1 where Pete tong at least plays some cheesy music followed by good music so you can get a taste of what everythings like. All we have is for profit radio where the same 10 songs are played and thats it. The point is how

The title of the thread is why the poppy music isn't so bad. My argument is that if I said 'I'd never heard of (insert talented male singer here) but I listened to Justin Bieber so I travelled to America and then I discovered (talented male singer) therefore justin Bieber is a good thing.' You would say Justin Bieber can never be a good thing and that is my thought on EDM.

If you are ashamed of something you liked in the past then you didn't really like it. You probably liked it just because somebody or everybody else did - social learning, branding, marketing - not good music. I'm not hating you for liking it I'm just saying anything that spreads in this way is not good it is bad, it's about money not music.

@Pablo Montez Junior I remember judge Jules playing house lol I remember him announcing on radio 1 around 97/98 his switch to trance! Haha
I f***ing loved The Smiths, had a cardigan, quiff and everything.

Was I embarrassed about this years later. f***ing yes.

Particularly during my later Homeboy phase, :lol:

The fact you said you had the quiff and everything just proves my point even more - why did you have a quiff and a cardigan? Just by coincidence you liked that fashion the same time as your then favourite band? (Not having a dig at you just your comment so neatly fits what I'm saying!)

You don't know if you genuinely loved something or if you were sucked in by the hype until years later when you feel stupid. Tastes change because as we get older social acceptance means less than personal taste. Some people never follow social trends. I mean if you are going to David Guetta gigs on your own in your emo gear then fair play to you.

You have to remember a basis of my argument was the fact that i grew up in America and had virtually no access or exposure to real dance music as a teenager. In 2008 you couldnt even find EDM on the radio. Unless you were friends with someone who drug you into the scene, which i wasnt. You are never exposed to it. We dont have BBC Radio 1 where Pete tong at least plays some cheesy music followed by good music so you can get a taste of what everythings like. All we have is for profit radio where the same 10 songs are played and thats it. The point is how

The title of the thread is why the poppy music isn't so bad. My argument is that if I said 'I'd never heard of (insert talented male singer here) but I listened to Justin Bieber so I travelled to America and then I discovered (talented male singer) therefore justin Bieber is a good thing.' You would say Justin Bieber can never be a good thing and that is my thought on EDM.

If you are ashamed of something you liked in the past then you didn't really like it. You probably liked it just because somebody or everybody else did - social learning, branding, marketing - not good music. I'm not hating you for liking it I'm just saying anything that spreads in this way is not good it is bad, it's about money not music.

@Pablo Montez Junior I remember judge Jules playing house lol I remember him announcing on radio 1 around 97/98 his switch to trance! Haha
I f***ing loved The Smiths, had a cardigan, quiff and everything.

Was I embarrassed about this years later. f***ing yes.

Particularly during my later Homeboy phase, :lol:

The fact you said you had the quiff and everything just proves my point even more - why did you have a quiff and a cardigan? Just by coincidence you liked that fashion the same time as your then favourite band? (Not having a dig at you just your comment so neatly fits what I'm saying!)

You don't know if you genuinely loved something or if you were sucked in by the hype until years later when you feel stupid. Tastes change because as we get older social acceptance means less than personal taste. Some people never follow social trends. I mean if you are going to David Guetta gigs on your own in your emo gear then fair play to you.

And when you say what we class as good music might be different to what others believe to be good I think your missing the point. There's a difference between people having different taste in music and people liking good or bad versions of a particular genre. I believe there is good music in every genre. Even if I don't like a genre I know there will be good examples of that genre. The sh1te EDM in the charts and all over everything is an extremely bad example of dance music. No we can't make it go away but I will voice my opinion. I'm not a people pleaser. It will likely fizzle out when the powers that be decide to make some other rubbish popular - which says it all.

Last edited:
Do we really need Guetta, Avicci et al. to introduce us???

I can't remember how old I was (very young in primary school) late 80's there were songs like Steve Silk Hurley - Jack your body, Royal House - Can you feel it on Top of the Pops, loads of Acid house tunes on the news during coverage of 'the evil acid house scene'. Inner City - Good life, that was popular dance music in the charts back then.

Avicci etc are not needed in this world as a stepping stone. That's just an excuse for liking absolute garbage if you ask me! If the EDM scene did one already, the world would be a better place. Only purpose of Guetta is containing idiots inside a club that I won't be in. Everyone has different taste, and some people have no taste, but don't justify this culture which is spreading like genital warts. Maybe it's just me but I don't hope all the EDM fans develop a fondness for underground techno.
like i said though, tiesto got me into dance music, he was back then the equivalent of what avicii and guetta are now!

Tiesto was at one point one of the best Dj's in the world. I would never put him in the category of a similar style and substance as Guetta and Aviici.

Yes he had that whole olympics thing but still notnas commercial as them. much more hard earned dj credentials.

Tiesto was at one point one of the best Dj's in the world. I would never put him in the category of a similar style and substance as Guetta and Aviici.

Yes he had that whole olympics thing but still notnas commercial as them. much more hard earned dj credentials.

Tiesto is just as big a sell out as Guetta is these days. I saw Guetta years ago before he started hammering the commercial crap and he is a very good DJ and had excellent track selection.
Eric Prydz released 'Call on Me' which is as charty / EDM as they come, no body slates him now due to the way his music has been over the years. Who's to say Aviici won't go down that route?
The country music elements of his album show his not producing purely EDM.

like i said though, tiesto got me into dance music, he was back then the equivalent of what avicii and guetta are now!

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen or doesn't happen, all I'm saying is that it isn't needed as a stepping stone as there is plenty of half decent music in the charts, internet, TV etc and there are enough people into that EDM garbage now, it's everywhere. We don't need the people who have never liked/are past it all (have evolved) to be justifying its existence with positivity. No need to be a people pleaser and be like 'aww bless em bless Avicci he's only doing what he loves can't help he's popular the kids will get educated eventually'

Tiesto is just as big a sell out as Guetta is these days. I saw Guetta years ago before he started hammering the commercial crap and he is a very good DJ and had excellent track selection.
Eric Prydz released 'Call on Me' which is as charty / EDM as they come, no body slates him now due to the way his music has been over the years. Who's to say Aviici won't go down that route?
The country music elements of his album show his not producing purely EDM.

Call on me may be cheesey but it's better than anything Avicci has ever done and I would rather listen to it 100 times in a row than listen to 'hey brother' once!

Call on me may be cheesey but it's better than anything Avicci has ever done and I would rather listen to it 100 times in a row than listen to 'hey brother' once!
can i ask what you like musically? Acts/DJ's/style etc......i'm just curious.

can i ask what you like musically? Acts/DJ's/style etc......i'm just curious.

Hard question to answer without writing an essay but if I go out I think it's quite obvious it will be to a house or techno night. Dj's I've seen this year are Mike Dehnert, Paul Woolford and Midland. Acts - I will give Kink a shout love him :)

That's just my answer in terms of clubbing though.. Not what I listen at home or in the car.

Why curious about me in particular? Lol

I think you have to be careful using Tiesto as an example. For my money, as a DJ he was never technically that good. (Even aside from the fact that it is alleged he used ghost producers as well.) His undoubtedly huge DJing reputation came off the back of pushing a really unique and innovative brand of trance in his sets, a series of pretty infamous large scale events and some pretty smart marketing.

But at least you could say the music he was pushing was 'proper club music'. So I'm not quite sure the old Tiesto was quite the Guetta and Aviici of today. I think someone getting into Tiesto 6-10 years ago would have been much more likely to fully explore the world of club/dance music than someone listening to Guetta today would.

There's no doubt though that Tiesto's shift in style makes him part of that EDM crowd, just as much as Aviici or Guetta.

And when you say what we class as good music might be different to what others believe to be good I think your missing the point. There's a difference between people having different taste in music and people liking good or bad versions of a particular genre. I believe there is good music in every genre. Even if I don't like a genre I know there will be good examples of that genre. The sh1te EDM in the charts and all over everything is an extremely bad example of dance music. No we can't make it go away but I will voice my opinion. I'm not a people pleaser. It will likely fizzle out when the powers that be decide to make some other rubbish popular - which says it all.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but I don't think it applies as neatly as you would like in all cases.

I loved the music, it was pretentious adolescent dirge with good guitars. I was a pretentious adolescent, so it was natural that it appealed to me. That fact isn't diminished because I cringe at that phase when I look back.

And being influenced by and wanting to mimic the style of those you idolise goes hand in hand with the above. It's about learning to express yourself (and trying to pull girls) which I guess is the embarrassing bit in retrospect.

Mind you my later attempt (as a skinny northern white guy) at a Lenny Kravitz phase takes embarrassment to another level!

Also see my, Public Enemy homeboy phase and my corduroy and velvet enhanced Brand New Heavies phase, to name a few.

I agree with the evolution theory. When I started listing to electronic music as a child I started with Scooter and Brooklyn Bounce. Later it evolved, I started clubbing in Germany with ATB, Kai Tracid. Then friends took me to Berlin to Paul van Dyk and later to Tiesto and I loved it. Then I went to various big festivals like Nature One, Sensation, Mayday and of course Ibiza to see Paul van Dyk and Tiesto (who was way better in the early 2000th). On these events I was confronted with new DJs like Carl Cox, Sasha, Eric Morillo, etc.
I don't see why this should not happen to people that come to Ibiza to see Guetta or Avici.

I think you have to be careful using Tiesto as an example. For my money, as a DJ he was never technically that good. (Even aside from the fact that it is alleged he used ghost producers as well.) His undoubtedly huge DJing reputation came off the back of pushing a really unique and innovative brand of trance in his sets, a series of pretty infamous large scale events and some pretty smart marketing.

But at least you could say the music he was pushing was 'proper club music'. So I'm not quite sure the old Tiesto was quite the Guetta and Aviici of today. I think someone getting into Tiesto 6-10 years ago would have been much more likely to fully explore the world of club/dance music than someone listening to Guetta today would.

There's no doubt though that Tiesto's shift in style makes him part of that EDM crowd, just as much as Aviici or Guetta.

They all use ghost producers, and probably a team of neuroscientists and neuro-linguistic programming experts
I understand the point you are trying to make, but I don't think it applies as neatly as you would like in all cases.

I loved the music, it was pretentious adolescent dirge with good guitars. I was a pretentious adolescent, so it was natural that it appealed to me. That fact isn't diminished because I cringe at that phase when I look back.

And being influenced by and wanting to mimic the style of those you idolise goes hand in hand with the above. It's about learning to express yourself (and trying to pull girls) which I guess is the embarrassing bit in retrospect.

Mind you my later attempt (as a skinny northern white guy) at a Lenny Kravitz phase takes embarrassment to another level!

Also see my, Public Enemy homeboy phase and my corduroy and velvet enhanced Brand New Heavies phase, to name a few.

Well yeah it does prove my point because you were finding yourself through copying others (fashion wise). We evolve because we eventually do find ourselves and realise what is important. I think you had good taste in music anyway, I still like everyone you have mentioned :) and also whether people agree or not, nobody can argue that the artists you mentioned are not quality acts that put heart and soul into music. What I am talking about is purely this rubbish that's out now it has no depth it's just junk and it's overpowering everything and doesn't need people to say ah it has it's place - it could do one and still people would find themselves eventually!

I used to be embarrassed about my '1992-93 Dr Alban phase' but then I later realised it was a necessary milestone in my evolution before those little tablets changed the game forever. I'm glad i got the cheese out of my system first. It's tragic reading about people in small towns who used to love music and now have nowhere to go but the local meat exchange.

I used to be embarrassed about my '1992-93 Dr Alban phase' but then I later realised it was a necessary milestone in my evolution before those little tablets changed the game forever. I'm glad i got the cheese out of my system first. It's tragic reading about people in small towns who used to love music and now have nowhere to go but the local meat exchange.

Its your life, take it or leave it!

Back