Why the poppy music isnt so bad...

Oh Folks, hopefully there is something like evolution.
Likes like Avicii or Guetta will soon be burried under a veil of secrecy.

When was the last time you saw Judge Jules? He's an EDM DJ through and through now. He's not relevant to the trance scene anymore that's for sure, not even as a gateway DJ like he used to be.

Why? Playing devils advocate here, but if they aren't musicians, then why should Bryan Kearney's tracks be music, or Mark Knight? It's just as much noise as Avicii's.

Some people like McDonalds, regardless of the fact that it's unhealthy. Some people love the taste. They love the smell.

They are musicians in the same way that McDonalds is a restaurant and the people who make the recipes are chefs. Loving the taste and smell of McDonalds is a socially learned preference.. The same way as we are not born with an aversion to the smell of sh1t. Funny, I read on another website that when Avicci first dropped his country and Western rubbish in his set it went down like a sh1t sandwich. Guaranteed most of those same people love it now.

You know the main point of this thread is don't slate EDM it provides a good stepping stone, and my point is that it most certainly isn't needed as a stepping stone when house music has been around for as long as I have. It doesn't need to be everywhere with almost every style of music now tainted with EDM. And as for the earlier comment 'DJs don't come to my town' yeah they do they just aren't big enough or famous enough.

House music may have been around forever but how would one come across it from an early age?
I can't imagine many people would randomly stumble across proper house music.

there seems to be alot of banging on around the main point here. with everybody afraid to say it.

All this EDM style of music sucks and should stay in clubs that cater for that style in music. Thank the lord for 2 dj that really haven't changed their act that much over the years Carl Cox and Judge Jules and have stayed relevant.

Paris Hilton Dj in Ibiza clubs makes me sick. Guetta charging 80 euros for the privelage of seeing him fist pumping in the air like aaagghhhh

I'm not sure you can use Cox and Jules in the same sentence! Jules was barely ever relevant and certainly isn't now.

House music may have been around forever but how would one come across it from an early age?
I can't imagine many people would randomly stumble across proper house music.

As I said there is decent house music in the charts. Look at Ben Pearce - what I might do, used in mainstream advertising. And even more exposure now with internet, DAB radio. Fashion retailers regularly play house. I'm sure Pete Tong plays a decent house track at least once on his radio show. Plenty of other similar tunes. Making excuses for, and justifying this tsunami of EDM as serving a purpose as a stepping stone is just ridiculous. The small minority of people for whom EDM was a stepping stone to good music would have found it anyway at some point or another, then some will jump on the band wagon just because, and the others will do one when the next trend comes along. If the EDM craze was gone the world would be a better place for it.

Interesting seeing the MacDonalds analogy being used here. It's one I've used myself in the past.

I actually agree that it's very rare these days that these kind of commercial artists lead to people getting into 'dance music proper' (for want of a better phrase). This comes down to being spoon-fed at the end of the day, and unless you have the kind of mind that wants to learn and broaden horizons, you will carry on being spoon-fed. In the UK, this is the Radio 1 generation. Just looking for the latest fad, fashion or celebrity endorsement.

You have to remember a basis of my argument was the fact that i grew up in America and had virtually no access or exposure to real dance music as a teenager. In 2008 you couldnt even find EDM on the radio. Unless you were friends with someone who drug you into the scene, which i wasnt. You are never exposed to it. We dont have BBC Radio 1 where Pete tong at least plays some cheesy music followed by good music so you can get a taste of what everythings like. All we have is for profit radio where the same 10 songs are played and thats it. The point is how are you supposed to discover something like that if you have no access? None of my friends listened to anything but rock and rap, and the weird ones country :X.

And I should clarify: Although i talked about how i went to ibiza for FMIF and other shitty stuff when i was younger, I meant the role poppy music is playing outside of ibiza isnt so bad. I didnt mean to say that it belongs on the island and its a good thing :)

quote="onemore, post: 800056, member: 646"]i really cant see him straying too far away from 'credible' music. Certainly no EDM anyway. But maybe more on the housey side of his spectrum of tunes...[/quote]
The only Cox I want to see if I go to vegas is mine being sucked by a hooker :spank:

The point is how are you supposed to discover something like that if you have no access?

The internet helps with this big time these days. I'm listening to all kinds of stuff that I have had absolutely no exposure to through mainstream channels whatsoever. Seek and ye shall find.

Last edited:
When Mr Cox himself is effectively promoting the EDM brand, who is really to blame for it's rising?

Attachments

• cc-50-2012.jpg
    cc-50-2012.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 15
Judge Jules played proper house in the very early days and his radio shows were ok on kiss before he just went totally darkside. I still listen to his 'havin' it classics' cd from 96 :) carl cox = someone else who was last relevant in the days when we communicated via phoneboxes. The whole edm debate i've done to death really. It's obv dogturd but maybe America needs to go through this as part of its late-in-the-day induction. Now I loved trance during the whole platipus/noom/eye q era but, like most, I just grew up/old/out of it. It'll doubtless happen to most of the pups on here. You just want an energy rush at the start and then later on you start to value quality more. That is the natural trajectory: commercial > trance > prog > house and by the time you hit late 40s you'll only be able to cope with beatless aphex twin ambience...

That is the natural trajectory: commercial > trance > prog > house and by the time you hit late 40s you'll only be able to cope with beatless aphex twin ambience...

I'm nowhere near my late 40s and I can more than cope with Aphex Twin's ambient work.:)

I agree there is often a trajectory of that ilk. Less so quality and more to do with depth/subtly - although some would equate the two.

You have to remember a basis of my argument was the fact that i grew up in America and had virtually no access or exposure to real dance music as a teenager. In 2008 you couldnt even find EDM on the radio. Unless you were friends with someone who drug you into the scene, which i wasnt. You are never exposed to it. We dont have BBC Radio 1 where Pete tong at least plays some cheesy music followed by good music so you can get a taste of what everythings like. All we have is for profit radio where the same 10 songs are played and thats it. The point is how

The title of the thread is why the poppy music isn't so bad. My argument is that if I said 'I'd never heard of (insert talented male singer here) but I listened to Justin Bieber so I travelled to America and then I discovered (talented male singer) therefore justin Bieber is a good thing.' You would say Justin Bieber can never be a good thing and that is my thought on EDM.

If you are ashamed of something you liked in the past then you didn't really like it. You probably liked it just because somebody or everybody else did - social learning, branding, marketing - not good music. I'm not hating you for liking it I'm just saying anything that spreads in this way is not good it is bad, it's about money not music.

@Pablo Montez Junior I remember judge Jules playing house lol I remember him announcing on radio 1 around 97/98 his switch to trance! Haha

You have to remember a basis of my argument was the fact that i grew up in America and had virtually no access or exposure to real dance music as a teenager. In 2008 you couldnt even find EDM on the radio. Unless you were friends with someone who drug you into the scene, which i wasnt. You are never exposed to it. We dont have BBC Radio 1 where Pete tong at least plays some cheesy music followed by good music so you can get a taste of what everythings like. All we have is for profit radio where the same 10 songs are played and thats it. The point is how

The title of the thread is why the poppy music isn't so bad. My argument is that if I said 'I'd never heard of (insert talented male singer here) but I listened to Justin Bieber so I travelled to America and then I discovered (talented male singer) therefore justin Bieber is a good thing.' You would say Justin Bieber can never be a good thing and that is my thought on EDM.

If you are ashamed of something you liked in the past then you didn't really like it. You probably liked it just because somebody or everybody else did - social learning, branding, marketing - not good music. I'm not hating you for liking it I'm just saying anything that spreads in this way is not good it is bad, it's about money not music.

@Pablo Montez Junior I remember judge Jules playing house lol I remember him announcing on radio 1 around 97/98 his switch to trance! Haha

Carl Cox: As relevant now as he has ever been. True dance music enthusiast will know that. Did you go to any of his revolution parties. Completely full again last season, you could hardly move in Space.

He has nothing to do with the EDM movement. House, Techno and Funk is his thing.

If you are ashamed of something you liked in the past then you didn't really like it. You probably liked it just because somebody or everybody else did - social learning, branding, marketing - not good music.

I get your other points, but I disagree with this completely. Personal taste is constantly evolving, I don't think you can say because you can't stand something 15-20 years later that you didn't really ever like it - do you have to like something for eternity for you to say you liked it? What about music that you used to not have any time for, but now like? Was this bad music before, but is now good music?

And thats just it as well isn't it, personal taste? Who is the arbiter of 'good music'?

We most likely agree on what good music is, but plenty others would disagree.

I just don't let EDM bother me like it used to. Let them get on with it if thats what they want to do. You can't ban music in the same way you can't ban literature or free speech.

I f***ing loved The Smiths, had a cardigan, quiff and everything.

Was I embarrassed about this years later. f***ing yes.

Particularly during my later Homeboy phase, :lol:

I get your other points, but I disagree with this completely. Personal taste is constantly evolving,

I agree here. But it's more that your taste probably should be constantly evolving rather than it doing it by default. And it should be evolving naturally alongside your experiences, personality and outlook and not just arbitrarily based on the latest trend or image that is in fashion.

There is too much bandwagon jumping across the board these days. That's what I find uneasy about this "EDM craze". It is nothing more than an extension of latest fashion trends and will die as soon as everyone decides what the next big thing is.

Paying 80 Euros to see David Guetta at Pacha is less about music, much more about image.

Last edited:
Back