Why the poppy music isnt so bad...

paulhinrichsen

I joined Ibiza Spotlight back in early 2012 and was posting a bit, after reading this forum almost daily for the two years prior to this. As an American who has grown up in the "EDM Explosion" and been partying all over the world during it, I find it incredibly interesting how my preference in music has adapted over the years. I took a break from Ibiza Spotlight after my trip in 2012 (My third) and kind of only focused on the party calendar to see updates when thinking ahead to my trip in 2013, but I return today missing the day to day discussion about this island. I think the one thing I wanted to point out to everyone is that, as annoying as most of you all find the poppier music (Avicii/Guetta/CalvinH) it does open up a lot of people to electronic music. Without the aforementioned producers, i probably never would have ended up coming to Ibiza every year for the last four years straight, and it certainly guided me to find the exact musical preference I have. So while I started out in this scene, and on this island, listening to the "pop EDM bullshit" i can certainly say it has served a bridge for people to discover new music as well. Certainly for those of us that grew up in America (I'm 25 now, so I finished university just as it caught on) there were virtually no DJs coming to cities besides NYC/Miami/Chitown/Cali so this was the only electronic music we were exposed to. 4 Years after my first trip to Ibiza, I can laugh at how my first trip highlights included seeing David Guetta, Avicii and SHM as I buy my club tickets to Diynamic's Label Party (Run by Solomun), Crosstown Rebel's All day party, and Paradise (JJones, Lee Foss etc.) for WMC in Miami this year while I laugh at the people paying $80 to see Zedd for 90 minutes :)

I'm into what I would call electronic or disco dancing music for the same reason. My influences were Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk and Gary Numan, etc......

But at 42, some would say I still have grown up:( even though i am listening to "Dad disco" music by the likes of Greg Wilson and Alkalino.

I am please that you have seen the light, but it wont stop the ass shafting of EDM that the media give me everytime i switch on the radio or TV.

Always amazes me how mainstream america (unlike london, manchester, ibiza in 87/88) seems so unaware of the rich musical heritage in new york, detroit, chicago - Perhaps it was all just too black or gay for the mass market to handle, which speaks volumes really... Perhaps the poster above is right and that guetta & co have inadvertently opened a few younger minds, which would be great but i reckon it's a passing fad for the majority of those kids, until they get back into emo again

It is certainly a passing fad for most of the kids, but the people that are just stuck in the fad, those are the people you dont want to come to ibiza/the scene anyway. But when the fad does end you will still be left with a large amount of Americans from 18-26 currently, that have joined the scene for the right reasons, and learned the history.

I definitely agree with a lot of what you say ... guess it's just that some of us would rather the kids go filter through the EDM net somewhere else (like Ayia Napa, Cancun, Thailand, etc) and come to Ibiza when they're suitably "educated" musically. It's a more 'mature' island anyway in terms of prices and scene generally.

The thing is, though, as Paris Hilton has so convincingly demonstrated, those with the most money to splash seem to have the worst taste in electronic music (St Tropez ... ahem ...) and so I suspect that these "overgrown kids" will ensure that the "EDM" scene sticks around in Ibiza for the simple reason that there are those on the island who are very happy to bring in that stuff to help bring in those punters - along with their bulging wallets and Amex Black cards, as the dulcet tones of Calvin Harris & David Guetta issue forth from their private yachts from Marina Botafoch to San Antoni.

God that sounded arrogant, didn't it ? :D :rolleyes:

I've always argued this, that such artists have their place, and if it drags a few extra people into a tent at a festival/or at Space whatever - who end up having their minds blown by something far superior, then fine. I've had plenty of my own cringey moments - off the top of my head I lost my mind to Bob Sinclar once, a long time after it was acceptable to lose your mind to Bob Sinclar. The issue for me has always been with Djs thinking they are Jesus, or people like Paris Hilton, as much DJing talent as there is in the rancid Tesco sandwich I'm munching on right now, paying thousands so she can pretend to be a DJ and sell handbags etc. in Amnesia - I find all that kinda behaviour totally repulsive. But those folk that recognise this recognise this and stay well away - and I'm done with being bathered about the ones who don't get it and rarely encounter anybody that actually winds me up about it (it being EDM etc.) when I'm not actually on the internet going out of my way to get angry about it, so I just don't anymore.

I definitely agree with a lot of what you say ... guess it's just that some of us would rather the kids go filter through the EDM net somewhere else (like Ayia Napa, Cancun, Thailand, etc) and come to Ibiza when they're suitably "educated" musically. It's a more 'mature' island anyway in terms of prices and scene generally.

The thing is, though, as Paris Hilton has so convincingly demonstrated, those with the most money to splash seem to have the worst taste in electronic music (St Tropez ... ahem ...) and so I suspect that these "overgrown kids" will ensure that the "EDM" scene sticks around in Ibiza for the simple reason that there are those on the island who are very happy to bring in that stuff to help bring in those punters - along with their bulging wallets and Amex Black cards, as the dulcet tones of Calvin Harris & David Guetta issue forth from their private yachts from Marina Botafoch to San Antoni.

I definitely agree with everything you said, trust me i wish the same things. But it is fairly easy to avoid these nights, while paying Paris Hilton to DJ, or press play, is probably crossing every moral line in music on the island, i dont really mind pacha booking guetta or amnesia booking calvin harris for a night. Noone makes you attend those nights. There is still plenty of awesome parties everyday on the island with great music. On a side note, ibiza struggled financially in the years right before the edm explosion if i remember? (2007-2010), in a way the EDM explosion probably has a lot to do with the growth of the island (adding Ushuaia, Ocean Beach Club, Sankeys, Boom! etc.) Correct me if im wrong :)

On a side note, ibiza struggled financially in the years right before the edm explosion if i remember? (2007-2010), in a way the EDM explosion probably has a lot to do with the growth of the island (adding Ushuaia, Ocean Beach Club, Sankeys, Boom! etc.) Correct me if im wrong :)

Mehh

I should add, thats mehh just to what that comment makes me feel personally, most folk would probably agree with you. Its not a mehh to the thread in general.

On a side note, ibiza struggled financially in the years right before the edm explosion if i remember? (2007-2010), in a way the EDM explosion probably has a lot to do with the growth of the island (adding Ushuaia, Ocean Beach Club, Sankeys, Boom! etc.) Correct me if im wrong :)

I think the greedy Barons maybe did - as to the general Ibiza population as a whole, I seriously doubt it, seeing as I understand most of the additional jobs created are seasonal and taken up by migrant workers from elsewhere ... and many of those partaking of said "EDM delights" are buying drugs of Brits, spending a fortune in Big Clubs and staying in AI hotels under non-island ownership. Certainly not spreading their holiday Euros widely amongst local shops and restaurants.

So do I care about magnates facing a bit of a squeeze now and again, or some drug dealers facing a demand constraint ? I think not ... if anyone can live without excessive profits it is those very same people !

Sorry no one forced you to read my post. Dont know why you had to add that to the conversation.

Any particular reason why you've assumed he is being sarcastic (which I suspect he is not) ? Bit of a slap in the face for a long standing forum member to get a response like this to a seemingly complimentary comment about a post, isn't it ?

^^ haha that was my comment I think ! I've totally forgiven M[witheld for privacy]a as it was a simple language thing where a "saying" got lost in translation. There were a few fireworks first tho' lol.

Back