Why Don't Remixers - - -

NakedAge

Allright guys. I buy a lot of remixes right. Now, I listen to remixes made years ago, and they keep the best parts of the song in tack. Ie: The best part of the song, the chorus and melody etc is in there with more OOOMPH and kick and hat and energy (For the most part)

Now lately, the remixes I been buying I've noticed they don't do that anymore.

It's similar to like, that hard trance method back in 2004 where you'd hear a massive build up then just a kick, bass and synth. But with the remixes now (House ones etc) its like you hear this really catchy melody of a old song, then it builds up, then when it kicks in again, they'll take it out and just have like, remnants of it.

Does anyone else here think that ruins a remix or, am I just being fussy?

To be honest for me the best remixes are totaly different to the original. Surely its all about making a totaly new tune just using elements from another track? It wouldnt be hard to essentially make the same track but add abit more white noise on the build up and some extra "dagadagadaga" as Dubfire seems to do all the time (i like some of it tho)

See that's where I take the opposite view I think. Personally I think the purpose of a remix is to either, make the original into a new genre, Ie: A dance remix of a rock song, OR, to ADD upon the original and make it better.

I don't think a remix should be unrecognisable from the original because then it's a new song, which, is great in its own right because original work always is, but isn't exactly a remix.

My qualm is that the recognisable elements of the original aren't so much being lost, but not being used to their full potential and I'd even go so far as to say, not used wrong but maybe just, poorly. As if sometimes the remixer is doing the OPPOSITE of what is expected and known to work as a method for a great remix, only to be original and in the process losing quality in the remix.

More for 'arts' sake than 'quality' sake, and of course when everyone starts doing it, we're faced with a tonne of bad remixes of great songs.

A good example of a remix thats better than the original (in my opinion) and very similar is La Roux - `in for the Kill ,Skream remix. Basically taken the vocal and put it over fairly simple dubstep beat but it just feels more natural/better than the original

I don't think you can generalise too much about remixes. Depends on the original track, depends on the remixer. Some tracks need improving a lot, some just need a fresh spin putting on them.

Although, I tend to prefer a broad selection of styles in any remix package. More versatility for the DJ.

why are people bothering to talk music with this buffoon?

you might as well discuss literature with a cat..

Allright guys. I buy a lot of remixes right. Now, I listen to remixes made years ago, and they keep the best parts of the song in tack. Ie: The best part of the song, the chorus and melody etc is in there with more OOOMPH and kick and hat and energy (For the most part)

Now lately, the remixes I been buying I've noticed they don't do that anymore.

Does anyone else here think that ruins a remix or, am I just being fussy?

BECAUSE THEY CAN.

If you think you can do better have a go.

You profess to love house music and then complain about it not being good enough????

It's really not that difficult to get in a studio and crack on rather than complain about what other people are doing, why don't you show us all the error of our ways.

... .. Oh yeah cos I have studios falling out of my ass man. .. Like yesterday I went to the toilet to unload a stink missle and low and behold I ****ted a studio..

I don't do remixes. I'm not saying its EASY, I'm just saying I think they were better when they didn't leave the best bits out. Sometimes you hear them and you can just tell "that would be so good if only they left that part in at this part and had this other part over the top at the same time" .. Its as if they almost ruin it on purpose I think sometimes. As a teaser.

And for your information I've tried my hand at producing and I suck at that as well. :)

But I did try it. ... ... And half the remixes I play are more, a live concoction.

Right then so you have no interest in actually remixing then... ????

In which case shut the **** up about how people do it. Seriously I'm all for people having opinions but unless you actually try to do something about it I suggest a healthy course of silence.

a
You two shouldnt even be here because you are anti anything that sounds like it might have a hint of music in it. You two are just about poorly assembled boring sounds aren't you? And how intelligent they are because they are poorly assembled? You know? Like art house **** where you get a black dot and call it a masterpeice when in reality its just a black dot? MWAH! Love your work kids. Its THAAAAAAAAAAAbulous.

NUMBER1: you seriously make me cringe that i live in the same city as you dood......:spank:
NUMBER2: you have NO IDEA what music i like, play or am associated with but just judge me because i wont conform to your bull**** "yeah let's just play what they wanna hear cause i cant get a gig in this city where i can play what i want"
NUMBER3: you talk ****e on here like you're ****ing luke chable, sean quinn, kasey taylor or boogs which YOU CLEARLY AINT.....
NUMBER4: why am i wasting my time.....??
NUMBER5: ohhhhh because i can,,.,,,,, ;) & you annoy me quite frankly........
shhhhussh litttle one...... keep pumping out your bull**** commercial ****e & keep trying to prove to everyone on here that you some frikking superstar melbourne dj..... (HINT: NO1 GIVE A **** ABOUT MELBOURNE..... NO2 NO1 CARES in general about the dribble you CONSTANTLY force on us,,,,,,
NUMBER6: you're like a broken record...... over & over & over again.....

sssshhhhhuuuuussssshhhhhh,,,,,,,, please, por favour.......P/L/E/A/S/E//?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh disco you are internet hardcore. You take no **** from no one.

Disco. I don't even know who you are, and I don't care. You take no **** from no one, but if your gonna give it to me, I'm gonna throw it back in your face cos remember that first part I said about how I don't care who you are?

And, I don't care that you don't know who I am. You don't have to know, this forum doesn't have to know, and more importantly, MELBOURNE doesn't have to know.
Djing isn't a popularity contest for me.

Seriously, I'm here to discuss ****. I don't want to talk about MYSELF. So ****en, stop making everything about me and I won't come across as such an attention seeking ****.
If you REALLY don't care, then do us all a favour and shut your fingers the **** up so we can talk about the topic in hand instead of how much of a cronic masturbator I am.

I don't WANT your attention. You just thrust it upon me so people here read your **** and think your cool for your pathetic put downs.

Matt Collins: I do try to do something about it. I play the remixes that are good and leave the **** ones to every other dickhead whose only playing it because it's assosciated with some over hyped big shots name.

I know I can't MAKE a remix. I'm not THAT talented. I know my limitations. But I can try and perform my own take on one when I hear a song that I think would sound good in a different format.

Last time I tried to enter a remix competition, I heard the vocals they provided and backed out because the format was pretty much allready pre-determined.

I make music when I can because, I feel like it. I feel like hearing and making something new so I make it. I try and bring a new track to every gig I host, but, I think an original is a sacred thing and if you can't make it better, leave it alone.

Ask the people in the audience. I think they'll agree when they hear a sample of a great rock song in the middle of a set, and they get ready for the great part of it, and then it never comes, it's annoying. If every song now builds up the hype, but then doesn't unleash it, you have a ANTI - CLIMAX. If you have a whole night of anti climaxes on a dance floor people leave saying "THE NIGHT WAS A ANTI CLIMAX", because they wanetd it to get there, but it didn't. Thats why, you have to choose VERY carefully WHICH remix you play.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah cool.

Just to stay on topic.. I made myself a ring tone, which is a remix of a michael jackson song I did today :D .. I remixed like a few seconds of it just so I could have it as a ring tone and it sounds really good now.

See that's where I take the opposite view I think. Personally I think the purpose of a remix is to either, make the original into a new genre, Ie: A dance remix of a rock song, OR, to ADD upon the original and make it better.

I don't think a remix should be unrecognisable from the original because then it's a new song, which, is great in its own right because original work always is, but isn't exactly a remix.

A remix is completely new idea for a track, keeping 1, 2 or however many elements but it's gotta be different from the original to be a remix. Like your idea of turning a rock song into a dance track is a remix.

If you do as you wish would happen and just add to the original then it's really just an edit of that track. No-one's gonna want to release an EP with 3 or 4 tracks that sound the same. The concept of a remix is to put a new edge to a track that perhaps opens it up to different genre's, parties, crowds etc....

Well yes thats right. Thats how I use remixes, to bring various songs from outside genres to people in audiences who wouldn't normally hear songs in that format, but also, people often know the original. Like, theres songs EVERYBODY knows. Thats why they get excited to hear it in a new way. I agree making it different, but, I just think the GOOD bits of that song, the elements of that song that made the original a success, should be highlighted because its like, going to a restaraunt and ordering a chefs interpretation of a traditional food you know well, but he puts so much of a twist on it that its either A- unrecognisable as that dish or B- has none of the flavours that have made you enjoy it your whole life.

To me, a remixes are, my life blood as a dj. They bridge the gap of so many parties. They make the night so much enjoyable for everyone there. A good remix can REALLY change the atmosphere of a party.

There is so much wrong here that you really should get a grip on yourself.

You play other peoples records, all this involves is knowing whether A is going faster or slower than B. It's not rocket science and your not performing brain surgery.

There is no great skill involved in DJing anymore, anyone can learn to do it in a couple of afternoons nowadays. Quicker if they're using computer software.

Back