Why Don't Remixers - - -

as for remixes here's 10 of my faves EVER - examples of how a remix can add extra magic to already established tunes, and become a classic in its own right

st etienne - only love will break your heart - andy weatherall
sueno latino - sueno latino - derrick may
hercules & love affair - blind - frankie knuckles
mr v - jus dance - quentin harris
golden girls - kinetic - david morley
cesaria evora - angola - carl craig
energy 52 - cafe del mar - kid paul
moloko - forever more - francois k
lindstrom - another station - todd terje
de la soul - a rollerskating jam named saturday - david morales

This is a bit more like it, discussion on some actual tunes rather than some bizarre rant trying to generally discuss a subject with millions of examples. Tough!

Above list made me think of a couple:

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody (Frankie Knuckles Hallucinogenic Dub) - first dance at my wedding recently
Happy Mondays - Wrote for Luck (Think About the Future Mix)

I don't actually understand what this thread is about at all.

You get good original tunes and you get bad original tunes.
You get good remixes and you get bad remixes.
You get good edits and you get bad edits.

if we're name checking great remixes, what about joakim's remix of antena's camino del sol?

an epic bang up to date (when released) tune that more than doffed its cap to a balearic classic

Hot Chip - No Fit State - Audion Mix
Depeche Mode - Sinner In Me - Ricardo Villalobos Mix

Personal favourites in my collection

Cajmere - U got me up (the danny T one, those pianos still get me)
Dajae - Brighter Days (louis vega)
Kiko Navarro - Mama Calling (simon grey)
Tom Wilson - Technocat (perplexer)
Massive Attack - Unfinished (oakenfold)
C J Bolland - Sugar is sweeter (AVH)

Anything that Surkin remixes DVNO by Justice and Lucky Girl by DJ Mehdi in particular I love..

Also there is a minimal mix of Adagio for Strings don't know who the heck did it but would love to find out it was on a podcast I got from itunes probably the best podcast that was ever on there and is now unavailable

An oldie one I love is what you need _ dunno who buy remixed by Luvdup twins

Of course, Naked Age takes the bait like a mouse to cheese.

Come on, if you read the whole thing you'd of seen I can play Cotton Eye Joe remixes and make it work, as if I'm not going to take the cheese ;)

The remixes I was reffering to tho, are songs OUTSIDE of dance music. Ie: Rock songs and so forth. I think a remix of a Techno song, is still going to sound like a Techno song, yeah it might be better but chances are you can play any and either at a gig and if its specifically a dance music gig (Ie: A rave.) they will recognise it, but outside of dance music nobody knows it.

Think OUTSIDE the crate.

Ie: A **** remix of Billy Jean, or a great remix of Billy Jean. On the Michael Jackson tip, to perfectly explain what I'm on about, theres two remixes of Thriller out there, one 'gets there' and one doesn't. I forgotten whose remixed them but if you heard them you'd know exactly what I mean

The remixes I was reffering to tho, are songs OUTSIDE of dance music. Ie: Rock songs and so forth. I think a remix of a Techno song, is still going to sound like a Techno song, yeah it might be better but chances are you can play any and either at a gig and if its specifically a dance music gig (Ie: A rave.) they will recognise it, but outside of dance music nobody knows it.

so my examples of great remixes such as 'polaroid' & 'skunk anansie' are both examples of what you wanted then or not???

it just seems really weird 2me that you say "rock songs" but then use COTTON EYE JOE & (now) MICHEAL JACKSON as examples of ROCK????? wtf dood?????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

....... Ok.. Listen carefully.

I use the term 'Rock songs' as reference to one specific genre that is NOT dance music.
Or, ELECTRONIC dance music to be more specific.

When I say "Remixes of songs that aren't in dance music, such as rock remixes", it could also be jazz songs or love songs or classical/opera songs. Theres fantastic remixes of Britney Spears and the Pussy Cat Dolls also have some fantastic tribal/progish remixes of their stuff out. Black Eyed Peas etc.

Hip-Hop/RnB, Rock/Pop, Opera/Classical, Love songs, Jazz etc etc etc, all these things can be made into great dance music remixes. THOSE remixes interest me most. .. Don't get me wrong, a great remix of a dance song, I'll play that to, but I like to be able to find dance remixes of songs outside of dance music to be able to play both a dance music crowd and a crowd that doesn't like dance music or doesn't know it, preferably at the same time. I have alot of respect for the people who do those remixes because I KNOW it's hard to do, all I'm saying is, when you make a remix for that kind of a category, wouldn't the logical thing be to keep the elements which made the original love song or opera song or rock song or RnB song a success rather than just add a dance beat and repeat 2 notes from the chorus and 3 words from it? Sometimes even that sounds good, but I can't stand seeing a title of a remix of a song thats not dance music, then before I buy it I go to listen and its so far removed from the original that, yeah it could work in a house sett or what ever, but it won't get the same or better reaction as the original radio version.

....... Ok.. Listen carefully.

(:)roll::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:))

I use the term 'Rock songs' as reference to one specific genre that is NOT dance music.
Or, ELECTRONIC dance music to be more specific.

When I say "Remixes of songs that aren't in dance music, such as rock remixes", it could also be jazz songs or love songs or classical/opera songs. Theres fantastic remixes of Britney Spears and the Pussy Cat Dolls also have some fantastic tribal/progish remixes of their stuff out. Black Eyed Peas etc.

Hip-Hop/RnB, Rock/Pop, Opera/Classical, Love songs, Jazz etc etc etc, all these things can be made into great dance music remixes. THOSE remixes interest me most. .. Don't get me wrong, a great remix of a dance song, I'll play that to, but I like to be able to find dance remixes of songs outside of dance music to be able to play both a dance music crowd and a crowd that doesn't like dance music or doesn't know it, preferably at the same time. I have alot of respect for the people who do those remixes because I KNOW it's hard to do, all I'm saying is, when you make a remix for that kind of a category, wouldn't the logical thing be to keep the elements which made the original love song or opera song or rock song or RnB song a success rather than just add a dance beat and repeat 2 notes from the chorus and 3 words from it? Sometimes even that sounds good, but I can't stand seeing a title of a remix of a song thats not dance music, then before I buy it I go to listen and its so far removed from the original that, yeah it could work in a house sett or what ever, but it won't get the same or better reaction as the original radio version.

u know what? i was (almost) going to comment but its like talking to a brickwall....
i have NO IDEA wtf you are on about.... & i dont care..... i think you just like typing on a computer for the sake of 'hearin' yourself in text???
whatev's.... in going skiing! 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Right so we're now, for the most part talking about bootlegs.

Maybe it isn't possible for the whole somg to be transposed into a 4/4 128 format, have you thought about that? Maybe it doesn't sound right going at that speed???? Maybe it just doesn't sit right....

There are PLENTY of tracks I know that would fit into that catergory that would tear **** up if it was possible (lindsey buckingham - holiday road being my prime example as I've tried to do it but it's about 150/160 so just doesn't fit)

There's also the possibly that maybe said remixer/bootlegger doesn't like the same bits of the record as you. (taste issues aside, you really did yourself no favours with your 'enlightened' playing of arguably the worst record of the past 20 years) So they don't use them.

I could go on but without examples from your good self it's pointless.

See, your not trying to discuss this, your trying to make me look like a dickhead.
But ok, lets call them 'bootlegs', though, bare in mind, bootlegs, mash ups, remixes, to someone on the outside its all the same thing, now, from the perspective of that person on the outside. If you were hearing a song as a dance remix, (or bootleg or what ever.) wouldn't you be pissed off the song was so far removed from what you know that ok, it fits well in dance music, but is un recognisable as a rock song, or pop song etc?

Have you ever played a song, WITH OUT mixing it? Have you ever stopped the music, for a momment, and played an old song from its opening riff that everyone knows, loves and enjoys?

I understand it's a matter of taste, but I don't understand the logic of leaving what is the best part, the part that made the original such a success out of the bootleg or remix.
Its like I said earlier, it's like a chef making his own interpretation of a meal, but leaving out all the main ingrediants.

Not only that, electronic music, anything is possible. In Djing, anything is possible.

Remember, all it is is organising sounds. All you have to do is look at how their organised and re organise them. Like a rubix cube.

My opinion on what you are talking about is if the song is great, then why bother playing a remix, re edit, bootleg?

Take Billie Jean for example. its an amazing tune so play the original and leave it be.

Have you ever played a song, WITH OUT mixing it? Have you ever stopped the music, for a momment, and played an old song from its opening riff that everyone knows, loves and enjoys?

Yep, moreso than you probably realise, FFS don't insult my intelligence, you are but a pup. DJ for 20 years and then we'll talk. (By that point of course I'll have been doing it for 31 and will still bat you away.)

The point of leaving out a part of a song is that you don't like it or it doesn't work or maybe they just don't want to use it. There are also sampling issues maybe they have to pay through the nose to use the bit that is so obvious. Maybe they just want to REmix it. In which case there is no reason to use the elements of the original

If you dont give examples the discussion is pointless.

Matthew B's Billie Jean remix for example doesn't play the best bit of the song till the final 2 minutes. But it's all about the build and getting there IF the dj so wishes to let the crowd have that bit.

Back