Why Don't Remixers - - -

Well ****, I been doing it for 9 years and still can't get it right :)

Look, I used to be all like "its what you play" as opposed to how you play, but truth is, you ARE correct. ANYONE can mix now days, how ever if all it is to you is one song after another, you will mix as well as the next bloke doing the last 32 or 16 beats or what ever.
Same token, if you can't mix it up between genres and stuff, your only as good as every other bedroom house/trance dj.
Mixing is easy, Track selection is easy...... ... Doing it in a way no one has done yet is whats hard.

In relation to the remix topic, I don't just play other peoples music, I make my own. (Tho for the most part am too scared to play it out.) I don't have a studio or anything, I have DJ mixer that I use in studio situations sometimes. Ie: When a vocalist wants to do some work. .. Its a bedroom thing, now, I don't remix songs because, I don't feel its my place.

I think remixes are great and I enjoy them and incoorporate them even more so than AlOT of Dj's, but, when I make a song its an expression of that moment of creativity.

People have heard me play MIXES of songs. (Not remixes) and asked for the name and title of the REMIX. When they realise its not even 1 song, they're even more in shock, (Be it for good or bad). Thats how I try and bring justice to the art of remixing. Because I beleive a good song is a good song. You can make a remix of a **** song, might make it sound better, but then everyone will say "well the original was ****" and they'll treat it as a gimmic. .. And thats perfectly fine. .. I played remixes of Cotton Eye Joe years ago, and the comical value in that acheived the exact goal I was wanting it to and it created a special atmosphere.

A remix is a powerful tool, but, if a tool is made by a **** tool maker, it won't do its job. If a **** crafts man then weilds that tool, he will make a **** product. If a product is ****, people wont enjoy it.

Sorry but I wouldnt find it amusing 'Cotton Eye Joe' ...and I think I have a great sense of humour... but I think at that point I may have thrown a bottle at you..

Sorry but I wouldnt find it amusing 'Cotton Eye Joe' ...and I think I have a great sense of humour... but I think at that point I may have thrown a bottle at you..

Can we have a link to this "cotton eye joe" remix, im curious now :lol:

I do think some of you are going over board with nakedage, all he said was he didnt like some of new remixes he's been listening to recently. Even if he's a crap remixer he has a right to say he doesnt like them.

Bit like a rubbish referee, I have a right to slag him off even if I know he'll always be 1000 times better than me at it.

are we expected to take an argument seriously in which some joker cites cotton eyed joe as a vindication of his case? Wading through that forest of hogwash, it's the only track I think you've actually name-checked in your entire incomprehensible diatribe...

quite frankly, amazing..

I do think some of you are going over board with nakedage, all he said was he didnt like some of new remixes he's been listening to recently. Even if he's a crap remixer he has a right to say he doesnt like them

Maybe but with his opinion I'm afraid he's an easy target. Now he's saying he plays Cotton Eye Jo FFS. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

(everyone knows it was a poor mans version of grid - swamp thing)

So how can his opinion on crap remixes possibly be valid now???

To an extent I do know what he means but the simple fact is not to buy them surely????

are we expected to take an argument seriously in which some joker cites cotton eyed joe as a vindication of his case? Wading through that forest of hogwash, it's the only track I think you've actually name-checked in your entire incomprehensible diatribe...

quite frankly, amazing..

Olly, Matt, you talk as if the music you like is better than what everyone else likes simply because YOU as a people, like it. Not everyone likes what you like. In the context of the atmosphere, the remix of Cotton Eye Joe worked. It wasn't a remix I made by the way.

I think Ferd is right. Its like giving **** to a rubbish referee, but knowing you can't be better.

Perhaps you two are just pissed off that I could play such a bad song and make it work? Maybe THATS a sign of talent? You know what, I played YMCA at a rave man. And I pulled that off to. I pull it off cos I don't take clubbing and raves and **** seriously because they're not supposed to be. They're surposed to be FUN, and so I make them FUN. I make them fun by tapping into a communal sense of humor via music. .. Now, hey it might mean I embarass myself, but, who am I? I'm nobody, Idon't care if people laugh at me. .. The point is, they laugh. Be it with me or at me, they laugh.. If they're laughing they're having a good time and thats all I set out to do.

Its DIFFERENT.. I feel alot of Djs here have a problem grasping that term.

Your not a big kid bloke. Your the one taking shots at me. Don't have a cry because someone isn't taking your **** on a internet forum. You might be used to making 'the little' guy feel like piss. .. That's only cos your so far up your own ass you don't know who they are.

But remember this. When I came here, you knew who I was. I still don't know who you are, so, get the **** over yourself and stop trying to paint me down as something your better than because trust me. I might not be much but from the way you pathetically try to keep me down so no one see's YOU as a complete **** up, I've allready established that if I'm not allready more than you'll ever be, then I'm certainly half way there. So take a back seat for a change and leave me the **** alone if your not here to discuss what I want to talk about in this thread.

Its not about you, so stop making it about me. Go have a cup of tea and act like a smart ass somewhere where I'm not.

OK Naked Age, maybe you know more about DJing than I do. Maybe you're a better DJ than I will ever be.

Oh and for the record, I never knew who you were before you came here but take it from me, if you have a reputation it travels faster than you ever will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its DIFFERENT.. I feel alot of Djs here have a problem grasping that term.

Oh and for the record, its not different, I could hear that **** anytime I wanted. I just decide NOT to go to my local funpub and listen to the grease/abba megamix. Maybe you have found your niche. Come to Britain and get a job at the local Ritzys dance emporium.

Oh and for the record, its not different, I could hear that **** anytime I wanted. I just decide NOT to go to my local funpub and listen to the grease/abba megamix. Maybe you have found your niche. Come to Britain and get a job at the local Ritzys dance emporium.

He would smash it in Dukes Chelmsford :lol:

when I was 17, when I lived in Richmond, we used to go to ritzy's and options in kingston and the hammersmith palais (later le palais, get it right!) all smart, in shiny silk shirts and smart chinos and kickers, all super-proud because we routinely managed to dupe security about our age! Maybe have a dance with a bird if we could pluck up the courage. The music was all commercial-rave-hardcore so robin s and liquid and rozalla were on permanent rotation - pretty innocent times really. Then I went back to the palais one time, on leave from uni, and it had all changed, a lot of aggro, stuff getting thrown around, a friend of mine getting picked on... I realised that I cdn't handle those places anymore - when I had been exposed to acid jazz and early prog and cleveland city stuff at friendly student dance clubs - there was no return...

You respond to remarks made to Olly? What are you two soul mates or something? Share the love in the bum?

Maybe I DO know more than you do, and if I do, maybe I KNOW whats different?

Maybe I'm onto something you can't comprehend, and maybe it frightens you a little bit?

Maybe I WILL come to Britain, and maybe playing Grease Mega Mix at that place you mentioned will launch me further ahead in Djing than any of you ever imagined? Maybe the world NEEDS a Dj who can play those things and get away with it? The rest of the world doesn't care if what they enjoy is catagorised as "EDM" or any of the un-necissary sub genres that stupid **** head self proclaimed geniuses have seperated it into.

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, all I care about today, and yesterday, and the time I spend on here, is indulging in INTELLIGENT conversation about topics I find interesting, and not having to do battle for every opinion I have, just because it's different to those of a bunch of ****ing elite dance music clowns who think they are the bee's ****ing knees.

All I am is all I need to be fellas, so, bring on your smuggest remarks to anything I say. Insult me as much as you like. Let my reputation preceed me. Let the world of Dance music see me as a massive loser, I don't care because, if it's going to be full of ****ers like you, I don't want to be a part of it. I'll go do my own thing.. And if thats Grease Mega Mix, and it makes people happy, and it makes them dance like nobodies watching then thats more than good enough for me. .. Now stick to the ****ing topic and leave me alone.. If I'm so un important to you, pretend I don't exist. Don't read what I write, don't respond. Thats all you have to do. You attack, at you get attacked back. Its pittyful, its meaningless, it gets nobody anywhere.

Start acting like the over mature ****heads you pretend you are and do the smart thing and leave me the **** alone.

Not, really. But, it's important to me to play what THEY like, not what I like. And I don't feel ashamed to do it. I just enjoy watching people dance and if a song I don't like makes them dance and makes their night that little bit extra special, well, ****, is it so much to ask to make someone happy by playing a song if you can?

I understand that my personal tastes are my own. Just like an opinion, its my own, but others have the right to have theres, just like people have the right to enjoy what ever music they choose.

Now, who am I to say whats good and whats bad? What appeals to me might not appeal to everyone else. Which is true in a lot of cases, whilst what appeals to everyone else, a lot of the time doesn't appeal to me.

To me, music is organised sound. If it sounds poorly organised, I will say its a bad song, but only in my personal opinion. How ever I won't knock it because others might like it. If they do like it, then as a person at a party, they have the right to hear it, and enjoy it, and not get ****ted on for liking it. As a Dj, I have a responsibility to play it for them if it means they will leave having had a good time.

Whilst not all people like all songs, it is also I feel, my duty to try and do something for every individual in the venue, that may mean incorporating a **** song into the night, if so required, I'd like to think I can incorporate it in a way that not only makes the person who enjoys that song enjoy it MORE, but can also make the people who DON'T enjoy that song either enjoy the work I've done to it (In HOW I'm playing it) or at the very least respect that someone else will enjoy it, but preferably, enjoy it themselves, even have a laugh to it.

Its all about good times and good music.

Maybe its time for you to realize that everytime you spout your drivel people will react. Ffs get over yourself.

Maybe I DO know more than you do, and if I do, maybe I KNOW whats different?

Maybe I'm onto something you can't comprehend, and maybe it frightens you a little bit?

Maybe I WILL come to Britain, and maybe playing Grease Mega Mix at that place you mentioned will launch me further ahead in Djing than any of you ever imagined? Maybe the world NEEDS a Dj who can play those things and get away with it? The rest of the world doesn't care if what they enjoy is catagorised as "EDM" or any of the un-necissary sub genres that stupid **** head self proclaimed geniuses have seperated it into.

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, all I care about today, and yesterday, and the time I spend on here, is indulging in INTELLIGENT conversation about topics I find interesting, and not having to do battle for every opinion I have, just because it's different to those of a bunch of ****ing elite dance music clowns who think they are the bee's ****ing knees.

All I am is all I need to be fellas, so, bring on your smuggest remarks to anything I say. Insult me as much as you like. Let my reputation preceed me. Let the world of Dance music see me as a massive loser, I don't care because, if it's going to be full of ****ers like you, I don't want to be a part of it. I'll go do my own thing.. And if thats Grease Mega Mix, and it makes people happy, and it makes them dance like nobodies watching then thats more than good enough for me. .. Now stick to the ****ing topic and leave me alone.. If I'm so un important to you, pretend I don't exist. Don't read what I write, don't respond. Thats all you have to do. You attack, at you get attacked back. Its pittyful, its meaningless, it gets nobody anywhere.

Start acting like the over mature ****heads you pretend you are and do the smart thing and leave me the **** alone.

Back