Why Don't Remixers - - -

Hola

Can you please use the personal messages to resolve your personal issues, please? I feel really really disturbed to get in any post and find another heated debate (to say something) between the same people saying the same things and getting extremly personal all the time. It's not fun. It's not interesting.

Thank you

Oh get over it dick heads. ****, YOU choose to read and respond.. I choose to try and envoke conversation, thats all. You dumb ****s bring it down by crapping on about drivel and how stupid my opinions are and everything just because they're not the same as your own, then accuse me of doing the same when I openly encourage difference of opinion.

I don't need to get overmyself, you clowns need to get over me.

Can we have a link to this "cotton eye joe" remix, im curious now :lol:

I do think some of you are going over board with nakedage, all he said was he didnt like some of new remixes he's been listening to recently. Even if he's a crap remixer he has a right to say he doesnt like them.

Bit like a rubbish referee, I have a right to slag him off even if I know he'll always be 1000 times better than me at it.
I'm with Ferd, Russ and Silvia on this one. Dear god, people, get a hold on yourselves :lol:

In my opinion, Naked Age made a perfectly interesting statement for discussion and then everyone went overboard on him from the start. Next time, maybe try discussing the merits of his statement, as Minimarc did, rather than inciting him.

Of course, Naked Age takes the bait like a mouse to cheese.

If I understand the original argument, I actually agree with him to some degree (Cotton-Eyed Joe aside, of course). I prefer remixes that keep enough of the original to keep it recognizable. Otherwise, it's more a re-imagining than a remix.

Not that there aren't total remixes that I don't like... as someone said, sometimes you can improve on the original. But as a general rule, I prefer remixers try to work with the melodies at hand and still come up with something interesting.

And no, I haven't really tried remixing myself (other than my own songs, and that was ages ago). But I don't think that disqualifies me from offering an opinion!

NakedAge, with out getting personal there is 2 types of nightclub / Dj in the Uk. There are what I shall call Discos where people go dressed up in there finery to get as drunk as possable and pull a lady or 2. The Music played is the kinda music you discribe, Grease Megamixes and what ever chart music is popular that week. The Dj tends to be a faceless resident who will probably only ever play in that club.

The other sort is a "Club" where the majority of people go to hear music they cant hear anywhere else and dance the night away with their mates. This is where all the bigger name Dj's will play / have residencys.

Im sure that the patrons of both establishments have a great time. Hell I have had fun in both over the years. Just for me I have more Fun in Clubs where I can hear music that expands my horizons in some way. If I want to hear Lady Ga Ga I can turn on the radio.

As for playing what people like if that works for you then go for it. I just feel that a great Dj is, for want of a better expression, a taste maker. One who plays tracks I know to get me interested then will play some great music I dont to get me searching for it online the next day.

If you havent read it, try to get hold of "Last Night A DJ Save my life" it is a history of the Dj, it explains what im saying a lot better.

his "argument" was redundant from the start because he didn't namecheck ONE SINGLE TUNE - it was just a load of hot air, like everything else that steams off his keyboard

If you going to have a serious discussion about remixes/re-edits etc then you need to GIVE EXAMPLES and if the only examples you can provide are two of the worst ever records known to man, then you probably don't know what you're talking about.

I can't be bothered to play nice with time-wasters

The Music played is the kinda music you discribe, Grease Megamixes and what ever chart music is popular that week. ...If I want to hear Lady Ga Ga I can turn on the radio.
But this debate can go beyond the radio song remixes you hear at Discos. It applies to remix treatments of Club tracks as well, or even remixes of traditional electronic acts like Depeche, Royksopp, Moby, etc. that often end up on Club dancefloors.

Right then in answer to his question.

There have always been **** remixes it's not something new. The answer is simple if you don't like it don't buy it. There are plenty of ways around not playing tracks to an expectant club, "I ran out of time" being the obvious line to take but there are others which I won't impart because they are special to me.

So I don't really see this as a discussion topic as the answer is fairly obvious...

My answer of getting in a studio himself and putting his money where his mouth is, is also valid. Bring it on.

Maybe I can be a little short with some people but trust me I've been a lot more venomous in my responses to people in the past. I've also heard this type of diatribe from up and coming DJs more than a few hundred times, we've all been there before and I was probably the same, (you can take the probably out and re-read that last bit if you want) but it gets you nowhere, believe me. The quicker he learns that fact the better if he wants to progress. (that bit of advice is free) :lol::lol::lol:

PS there are PLENTY of great remixes around at the moment 2005-2006 was a barren spell but the same can hardly be said of now

i used to cain my white remix of polaroid's 'so damn beautiful' once upon a time in a far, far, far away place..... it still ****ing rocks! (shut up olly....! ;)
* a remix needs 2 @ least attempt 2b better &/or be of the same quality as the original.... my 2cents....:rolleyes:

i used to cain my white remix of polaroid's 'so damn beautiful' once upon a time in a far, far, far away place..... it still ****ing rocks! (shut up olly....! ;)
* a remix needs 2 @ least attempt 2b better &/or be of the same quality as the original.... my 2cents....:rolleyes:

did you find your ski boots?

hehehe like the way you "quote" me then ask about ski boots olly! hehehe... answer is: NO!!!!! FRIK!!! im going to my old place to have a squizz 2moro b4 we leave... if not, i will have to hire some... how gross! :cry:

as for remixes here's 10 of my faves EVER - examples of how a remix can add extra magic to already established tunes, and become a classic in its own right

st etienne - only love will break your heart - andy weatherall
sueno latino - sueno latino - derrick may
hercules & love affair - blind - frankie knuckles
mr v - jus dance - quentin harris
golden girls - kinetic - david morley
cesaria evora - angola - carl craig
energy 52 - cafe del mar - kid paul
moloko - forever more - francois k
lindstrom - another station - todd terje
de la soul - a rollerskating jam named saturday - david morales

moloko - forever more - francois k

CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONAGE!!!!!
i got that on white too & CAINED the **** out of it....
STILL LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT REMIX!

another one of my favourites was skunk anansie's 'twisted'
also got a top notch remix of 'love cats' on some igloo promo years ago that i still play when ive got a house gig.....
there's also this keoki 'caterpillar' remix that STILL drive me crazy crazy.....
cant remember the mixes etc... too mayb fun times have made my brain sloooooowwww.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back