Who is the Secret DJ?

Having only ready the odd bit on Faceache, I'd wager Tim Sheridan, but I'm sure he's denied it before?

At least he has an interesting plan:

There’s going to be a series of immersive theatre events. The DJ will be secret. It might be me, might be one of my ‘name’ DJ mates. It will be pitch-black, like a ghost train. It will be very easy for me to be secret if I’m not there
We have to recreate what raves were originally like by stealth: you knew nothing, couldn’t see much, music was everything, didn’t even know where the DJ was, never mind who

http://mixmag.net/feature/the-secret-dj-on-ibiza-f***-all-that-heritage-nonsense/

Last edited:
Was that ever true though? I can't remember ever not knowing who the DJ was. I didn't and still don't give a shit of where they are or what they look like or even what format they usezzzzzz but if we didn't know we could end up listening to any old shite :)

The secret DJ feature was absent in this latest issue (i think? stand to be corrected), although Tim Sheridan has a credited column...

Was that ever true though? I can't remember ever not knowing who the DJ was. I didn't and still don't give a shit of where they are or what they look like or even what format they usezzzzzz but if we didn't know we could end up listening to any old shite :)
I think he's referring to the illegal warehouse raves back in the day. You never really knew who the DJ was unless you managed to bump into them at a club somewhere. It was only in the cities where the DJ's were really known.

Is this book any good?

I must admit, my experience of the dance music industry is that it's surprisingly tame. I'd personally love to write a book on it, but most people would be astoundingly bored by it. I mean, I personally love it, but it's not the wild-ride people make it out to be.

about not knowing who the DJ was - undeniably true until around 95/96 - at my student union it was usually some crustie stuck in a crow's nest who could easily have passed for a roadie

Sheridan is a very good writer (well worth reading his exposes of behind-the-scenes Cream, Home and Space) but he sure likes the sound of his own typeface... nevertheless, the fact that this stunt has to happen at all speaks volumes about how desperately shit the dance music industry currently is....

I'd never seen that Kate Moss/Elliot thing before - did The Mirror just rip his indiscreet Faith posts, or did he actually talk to them?

I like Tim, having a had a very brief involvement with him years ago - also good company, and sincere in his views and behaviours.

Not sure if he definitely wrote the book, but it seems the weight of suspicion almost confirms

I'd never seen that Kate Moss/Elliot thing before - did The Mirror just rip his indiscreet Faith posts, or did he actually talk to them?

From what i recall of the forum fallout after it, they basically ripped it and said to him we are gonna run with the story anyway and paint you in a bad light, or you can take this bit of cash and go on the record.

oh yeah 'grass gate' - they 'crucified' him on there for a long time after

I've never met EE though we have mutual associates - he projects this really intimidating persona online but I think it's all keyboard ninja stuff really

oh yeah 'grass gate' - they 'crucified' him on there for a long time after

I've never met EE though we have mutual associates - he projects this really intimidating persona online but I think it's all keyboard ninja stuff really

I've exchanged pleasantries online with him previous and thought he seemed sound. Can't tally that with getting in be with tabloids though, unless they were properly blackmailing him and it just doesn't seem they'd bother for that

Back