When you have a moment in a club

thank you olly, i'm sure it was none of the mods. yes we love our forums and care about our reputation. also, when i deleted the tags i didn't see who had put them.

OK then,

first off, let me say that i have never met luciano personally nor do I have a poster hanging of him in my bedroom, but yes, I do appreciate him as a DJ. I have followed him over the past few years and some things in this thread appear just so completely wrong to me and therefore I feel the need to explain my own and personal opinion.

So why is Luci a good DJ?

Music / DJ Skills / Productions
Well, basically I just like the stuff he plays. Yes it's true, he doesn't play the same underground stuff nowadays as he did a few years ago and yes, I was really sceptical when he started his residency at pacha last year. But hearing him now at timewarp has proven me he still rocks the house and plays great house music, be it underground or a bit less underground. Everyone loved it, me included. Then someone wrote in this thread that his beatmachting is apparently sh!t. I'm sorry, but that's just utter crap. I can't remember how many of his sets I enjoyed live or recorded, but I have never ever heard any trainwreck produced by him. IMO his technical skills are impeccable. Then I also think he's innovative in his way, back in the DC10-days he was the one who began playing all these latin vocals over existing tracks and within little time, many others followed. Also, when everyone suddenly played “The Age of Love” again, it was Luciano who I personally heard it playing it first (I'm not saying it was him who started doing it, but it was the first one I heard playing it again before EVERYONE else started airing it). His track selection is always really fine IMO. I do not bother when he plays “Free” at the end of a night. Nor did I when he and RV played Bolero at Cocoon closing 2007. when he still had his residency at circoloco, he was mostly the one to close the terrace, simply because he played great music and had the crowd eating out of his palms with the stuff he played, fact. Last but not least, I also like his productions. Artamis is an already dated beauty which gets still aired every now and then by various DJs. His remix of argy's love dose was huge back in 2004. same goes for father, which he produced with Thomas Melchior. And I also like his latest album.

Behaviour in the DJ booth
Seeing Luciano having fun in the booth is no news. He's always been like that. I personally don't care at all what exactly DJs are doing behind the decks as long as they play well. And in a way I really don't understand the fuss about it. Do you hear any of it (whatever they are doing) while you dance? No, not at all. So does it matter if the DJ stands still like a rock/appears bored or tired/is having a party? No! it does not affect the sound you get at all. I agree that, if you look at the DJ all the time, it may affect your mood. But IMO if you look at the DJ all the time then your party company is just not interesting. I personally often dance with closed eyes or then am interacting with the group I am with. And every now and then, I have a look at the booth to see what happens. But it just doesn't affect me personally. I am also astounded that luciano gets such a bad feedback just for that while other DJs apparently can do everything in the booth and no one cares…I mean, come on, in fact A LOT of the Spanish/south American DJs hug each other and everyone else in the booth while playing – have a look at the booth at dc10 next time you're there. Also, many other dj's always get funny…sven väth sometimes is really hilarious, even the so-focussed Richie hawtin on rare occasions – does anyone remember when Richie and sven were kissing behind the decks at Miami WMC a few years ago? Or marco carola, who got his shirt ripped apart at amnesia closing 2009? Villalobos is no better. And again, I just don't care what they do as long as they keep up the good work. Yes, it's true that obviously luciano and carl craig are completely different when it gets to “how to behave behind decks”. CC the focussed, introverted DJ, luciano unleashed. And I agree that it looks weird if you compare them, but I'm convinced CC would have left the boat long ago if he'd really have a problem with that...

does that count as a valid reason to like luciano then?
i know that only what olly approves is officially cool ;)

1. I don't consider myself remotely cool. There's only one cool cat on this forum and he's in New Jersey.

2. you still haven't explained why, given the choice, I should go to a Luciano gig over say a Move D party for a fraction of the entrance fee and probably 10x more depth

3. why would I want to listen to 'age of love' for the 5768th time in my life?

4. in your heart, do you genuinely believe that the airkissers will be remembered in 20/30 years time like Humphries and Hardy are? I strongly doubt it. When it comes to house music: Black America 5 South America 0

but I guess there's nowhere really left to go on this thread - we clearly ain't gonna agree :)

did we ever get to the bottom of who tagged it???
J'accuse Ikoda! Only reason being that I saw his Dj equipment thread has been tagged (for all the right reasons).
Step fourth and claim your innocents or admit your guilt!!!!!

innocents...innocence...in a sense (sorry marc)

it's tagged again !!

edit:and now it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know I could tag an existing thread until hauskitten (i think) explained how!
Nor am I that childish ;)

I remember only dipping infrequently into the forums at the time this thread was raging. I was too afraid to comment!

exactly. tune selection is absolutely critical.

i was sat in the long grass at bestival 2005 lying down in the sun with a reefer, eyes shut or eyeballing the heron circling above and gathering the remnants of my shellshocked senses together after a heavy night in the bollywood tent. It was coming up to noon and the ambient shoegazer known also as Ulrich Schnauss was playing some lovely chilled out stuff which suited the mellow mood perfectly. Then WHACK :!: out of nowhere the guilty pleasures team appeared on the stage and played VAN HALEN 'JUMP' :eek: I wrote quite an angry email to rob da bank about it saying that that was the single most disturbing incident I had ever experienced at a festival and to his credit, he did write back and apologise.

:lol: How did I miss this? Essential Olly!

Back