When are you too old?

I don't find recovery time that bad, but then again I'm usually home by dawn now. What makes me feel old is actually still giving a shit about music as something you emotionally connect with. it feels like most people now don't have the first f*cking clue what they're talking about. (damning bloodstained evidence all over this forum - examples on request) People too young to understand the history, the roots, the reason any of this exists. I go on the metro and there's kids flicking through urban music streams maybe getting bored after 10 seconds. Where's the value in that? What point are they trying to make? Another thing that makes me feel old is actually looking for charm and eccentricity in things, now they've almost become dirty words with insecure people who have no personality who have to hang around in massive groups, totally blind to the beauty around them. So I just opt out. I hate the internet in many ways but it's been a lifesaver in others. Probably a major reason why so many events for the 40/50+ still happen, when in the past you would have long stopped reading fanzines or collecting flyers.
Yeah, examples would be good.

Amazing there's people on here who STILL don't get where I'm coming from. I've only gone on about it to death for the last X years.
“ it feels like most people now don't have the first f*cking clue what they're talking about. (damning bloodstained evidence all over this forum - examples on request)”

“ it feels like most people now don't have the first f*cking clue what they're talking about. (damning bloodstained evidence all over this forum - examples on request)”

I know you're shit stirring but if we must...

'I love that melodic techno style'
'they're big on the socials'
'the production is important'
'what's Nina done?'
'amazing lineup'
'Solomun's the best in the world'

Now how is this all relevant to the thread? Well, the fact people are now more interested in hype and marketing than actual music speaks volumes. People have sadly been suckered by the machine. And it wasn't always like that. This is why I'm much more interested in the Ibiza 'balearic network', the smaller bar scene where the richer music is.

Last edited:
Excellent. Look forward to hearing your reviews and reports when you arrive. What parties you have planned?
So far I just booked "F*** ME I'M FAMOUS!" at Ushaia. I really do not know about which parties to book, I just want to experience everything. I think I am more of a day party person, but I guess I want to experience a little of everything. I think I will also check out a pool party at Ibiza Rocks or Ocean Beach.

So far I just booked "F*** ME I'M FAMOUS!" at Ushaia. I really do not know about which parties to book, I just want to experience everything. I think I am more of a day party person, but I guess I want to experience a little of everything. I think I will also check out a pool party at Ibiza Rocks or Ocean Beach.

What dates are you on the island?

I know you're shit stirring but if we must...

'I love that melodic techno style'
'they're big on the socials'
'the production is important'
'what's Nina done?'
'amazing lineup'
'Solomun's the best in the world'

Now how is this all relevant to the thread? Well, the fact people are now more interested in hype and marketing than actual music speaks volumes. People have sadly been suckered by the machine. And it wasn't always like that. This is why I'm much more interested in the Ibiza 'balearic network', the smaller bar scene where the richer music is.
Thanks. Now following Ibiza Balearic Network on Twitter. Not used Twitter for years but a perfect reason to use it now.

I reckon once people get here, even if they are suckered in by marketing but truly do love the music their eyes will open and experience moments and meet people that will change their lives forever. I have been 3 times over 9 years, am 38 and I have found some of the best nights are when I didn't know any of the DJs. I love hearing music I have never heard before. Never too old.

Last edited:
I reckon once people get here, even if they are suckered in by marketing but truly do loce the music their eyes will open and experience moments and meet people that will change their lives forever. I have been 3 times over 9 years, am 38 and I have found some of the best nights are when I didn't know any of the DJs. I love hearing music I have never heard before. Never too old.

Welcome to the forum BTW! Yeah, I agree on some of the best nights being when you do not know the DJ - or the less known ones you enjoy the most. I still think Circo Loco is a bit like that on a Monday to be honest. The best times I have had there have been with some of the newer talent coming through.

I haven't been to Ibiza since Sep/Oct 2015 but for reasons not connected to my age (work, other destinations, birth of child in '18, pandemic)

Big clubbing nights out at home have been limited for similar reasons. Also, my current crowd is more into standing around bars and what I do feel too old for is going clubbing solo. When I have gone out, stamina or recovery haven't been issues though. I am invincible...

Planning a return to Ibiza this year with my mates to mark 3 of us reaching the big 5-0. :)
(initially thought July but a stupid war and resulting need to get our affairs in order and prepare to relocate pushed it back to likely September)
please let me know when you're coming mate !! been too long x

I am in the 50s, never been to Ibiza, going for the first time. You only live once, got to experience everything in life.
amazing to hear this!! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I've lived and worked in ibiza for 20 years, running events at all the big clubs. send me a DM and I'd love to help you out with some events. access, vip, etc.

all the best <3

All depends on your ethos..

If you went clubbing for the narcotics you will more than likely grow out of it.

If you went clubbing for hitting you may well now be settled.

If you went clubbing to dress up/smart/trendy your tastes for that will change.

If you went clubbing for a late night you may well now appreciate what the daytime holds instead.

I personally went for the music and in my opinion if you like music you will always like music and you will never be too old for that in whatever format you wish to take that in.
100% the same. and amen to that.

Honestly this is the secret to everything. If you only enjoy the music you first loved or enjoyed when younger, you're always going to feel like nothing compares. It really really upsets me and confuses me when people who love music so much can't understand why another type of music could mean the same to someone else.

The biggest "you know when you're getting too old" is for sure, when you actually think this type of music is bad, despite millions of others loving it and having the time of their life. Sure, you might never feel it like your own personal preference, but it's not worse.

I know I definitely don't still like the same DJs I did 20 years ago or got stuck in a time capsule, in fact, often I find the newer the better.

Other signs you're too old:

- when you think it's too loud when you walk into a club
- when you get to the club before it's open
- when you leave before the end to make sure you can get a taxi

lol

Honestly this is the secret to everything. If you only enjoy the music you first loved or enjoyed when younger, you're always going to feel like nothing compares. It really really upsets me and confuses me when people who love music so much can't understand why another type of music could mean the same to someone else.

The biggest "you know when you're getting too old" is for sure, when you actually think this type of music is bad, despite millions of others loving it and having the time of their life. Sure, you might never feel it like your own personal preference, but it's not worse.

I know I definitely don't still like the same DJs I did 20 years ago or got stuck in a time capsule, in fact, often I find the newer the better.

lol
Was definitely guilty of the third one this time round 😂 but it was only half an hour so I think I did well!

lol
Totally agree with you on not liking the same DJs as you did years ago. I won't name any names (!) But 100% feel the same. But, maybe, it's also because some of these DJs have changed their style too. Or is this also another sign of getting too old?! 😉

Back