What's going to happen to SPACE after 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutsy

Thought I'd start a discussion on the possible future of space nightclub , once it's lease runs out next year ! Is it staying? Is it moving? Is It ending ? What do we think will happen or what do we know will possibly happen ? Or are we not supposed to talk about it on here , seems like it does not get mentioned as much as it should be, considering how important this place is to ibiza .
Be good to hear people's views.

we can certainly talk about it. there might be details people have to hold back, but since everyone knows that their lease does run out, I can't see a reason why we shouldn't talk about it.

so what's everyone's guesses then? :)

I know golf has been rumoured, so if that was the master plan would space club be no more . Now that space is a world wide brand rather than just a club could it move to a new venue like privilege and would it work ? I was hoping they would have followed the hotel route like pacha destino , that could of at least captured the vibe of the past raving during the day . Stayed at destino this year and thought the place was great had a good vibe was very chilled and not to pretentious . Could easily see a similar space hotel working IMO .

Space must be a good earner, and the water park, so maybe they will allow it to carry on without Pepe? (or extend the lease)
Space "IS" PDB imo.

of course ! But if it was run by the land owners would music/nights change and be like its neighbour across the road and go all commercial / edm ?

until about 3 years ago I would have agreed with you. now I can't disagree more I'm afraid.
while I love space to bits, I don't think it reflects what PdB is nowadays...not at all.
Suppose im living the past a little?

Possibly a supermarket / shopping mall, I'd heard.

Certainly hope not anyway.

no, the planned mall (which I'm not sure is ever going to happen) would have been behind space and the water park.

my view is: it's going to continue as a club, but probably not as space. also, roselló only has to give the land back so theoretically he could bring a bulldozer and destroy the building. matutes group either take over the building or simply the land.

what I'm personally more curious about is what is space is going to do once their pdb time is over. there are various rumours around and that's where I have to remain quiet for now I'm afraid.

I heard the Ushuaia guys are gonna take over, leave it as Space, and build some sort of tunnel/bridge directly from Ushuaia.

I heard the Ushuaia guys are gonna take over, leave it as Space, and build some sort of tunnel/bridge directly from Ushuaia.

That would be just lovely, so it would be carry on parties for the likes of Hardwell, defunct Swedish House Mafia, and Armin parties from Ushuaia, major thumbs down.

Very unlikely they would kick out Carl Cox and Hawtin, I think El Row is a very strong brand too.....but yea, if that did happen I would expect a more mainstream weekly schedule. This is of course just hearsay from a worker in PDB.....I don't even really understand what's going on with Space. Honestly, the weekly Space lineup could use help from Ushuaia....cheesy or not. As we know, the island is currently overloaded with "underground" parties...

If there won't be any last minute solution to continue with Space as known today, history will end with the 2016 season. And very simple, thats it.

I hope that Rosello owns all rights to the 'Space' name, and equally I hope no offer however big will make him part ways with those rights. Assuming the building or the land continues to operate as a music venue in some incarnation it would be a shame to tarnish the Space name. It should wipe the slate clean and build its own legacy, good or bad.

If the current team feel they can do a job at Privilege and return it to former glories, then great. If they can hold onto their current roster of talent/brands and give Privilege an overhaul - maybe divide the main room up into smaller spaces - then I think they have potential to make it work.

Again, please don't rename it Space. If they must rename it, fine. Just not Space.

Sadly great clubs come-and-go. Space is arguably the best ever. So if it ceases to exist let it's legacy live on untarnished. Don't let it become a shadow of it's former self. (cue lots of old timers saying it already is!!! :lol:)

Heard they are going to dismantle it brick by brick and rebuild it where the football stadium is in San Antonio? Could just be a rumour.

So here is my probably off the mark say on what should happen. I think Space (the brand) should merge with Privilege (the location) in some form. Look at what you get with Privilege. You have a location with history, the space to expand and re-model the venue in a way that a brand like Space could invest in.

The Vista Room is an amazing area, and could serve along the line of the Terraza at Space, the Main Privilege room, while not open every night would let Space have a permanent "Flight Area".... Could be used for big events, opening, closing and maybe even they try and get a weekly EDM act that can the place with 10,000 people!

They probably need to build/create a mid size room like Discoteca, but all is possible with some imagination and investment. Just imagine what that venue could achieve with a Global Brand like Space and the line-ups they have! Elrow / Luciano / Carl Cox / Richie/ENTER etc.

I think something like this would create a massive buzz on the island.

Back to what Stivi is saying above too. Playa D'en Bossa (PDB) grew up around space but it's now standing out in PDB. PDB will continue to go up its own arse until the EDM bubble pops and you are left with some 40 year old couples dancing to 80s songs at Hard Rock!

Quite frankly Space is now too damn cool for PDB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back