what some of the locals think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attracting solely older tourists works well in the short term, they are better behaved and generally more wealthy. But the big issue is they die! or at least becoming too frail to travel. You need a new batch of younger tourists each year to keep the numbers up.

And as has been discussed on here before, there's an argument that most catch the Ibiza bug when they are young and keep coming back. If you dont catch em early they might never visit Ibiza at all.

I recently visited the Costa Del Sol and admittedly it was out of season but it was the oldest set of people i've ever seen in a resort and I wondered what will happen in 5/10 years when these guests aren't there.

Totally agree mukka, that’s how it happened for me. Have been a few places around the med for my summer holidays, but Ibiza is the one I keep coming back to.

Probably the same as a lot of people on here.

I think if the younger crowd are there it keeps the place vibrant.

you could equally argue though that people naturally gravitate to 'older' destinations as they themselves get older. Perspectives, experiences, energy levels change. you embrace things you would have despised 10, 20 years before. you worry about 'getting back' or start finding Sofia Loren really attractive etc. however some things are permanent, everybody loves sea, sunshine, hierbas and being surrounded by people they can relate to. I don't see what IBZ would actually lose by purging the youth. every single business (except perhaps a few drink till you drop holiday reps) could easily tailor to a new market.

it's not science. as ever, it comes down to class - all the people in that article want middle class visitors and the more mature/wealthier the better. that is where the money is (along with fewer general headaches) - the question is how vested business interests adapt and how long the process will take to effectively socially-cleanse traditional resorts - that seems to be the inevitable course, like it or not..

that division could also be applied to practically every town in britain, couldn't it?

^^^

Young adults thinking they're invincible and behaving recklessly whilst having little disposal income, and older people acting reservedly with money to burn. Hardly groundbreaking analysis going on here!

I think we'd all like exclusively "adult" places from time to time (aeroplanes, supermarkets, restaurants... clubs?) But this just isn't reality.

WIC i would vote for you in an election. family section on planes would be superb. i can say with 100% honesty that my kid has never kicked the back of the seat in front of him.

if the kn0b who sat behind me last month on the plane with kn0b junior is reading this, my offer still stands

I'm cutting a long story short, but my flight home (or part of the way at least), we were travelling with our cat in the cabin. We were led to believe we would be allocated a special type of seat for those travelling with pets, but it transpired this was not the case. We were seated in the middle of a very large, three generation group of French nationals.
Now, I don't like to make sweeping generalisations, but if the French have mastered two* things, than it it these:
1) dithering - specifically in the aisle before, during and after the flight
2) the whole "modern parent" allow your children to express themselves however they wish style of upbringing

Sorry to our French brothers @jimmiz & @FallenangelGparsons and anybody else - I'm only half serious, and I'm the first to the acknowledge my own nation's shortcomings! :lol:

*you're also pretty good at gastronomy, the fine arts and protesting, so swings and roundabouts

the problem with this debate is that it has raged for years and people naturally go "yeah, yeah, heard it all before" but I dunno, I just got different vibes this year, with the authorities really meaning business, and we've started to see that with the noise controls and changing closing times - it all feels like the start of a long process of social engineering

I'm cutting a long story short, but my flight home (or part of the way at least), we were travelling with our cat in the cabin. We were led to believe we would be allocated a special type of seat for those travelling with pets, but it transpired this was not the case. We were seated in the middle of a very large, three generation group of French nationals.
Now, I don't like to make sweeping generalisations, but if the French have mastered two* things, than it it these:
1) dithering - specifically in the aisle before, during and after the flight
2) the whole "modern parent" allow your children to express themselves however they wish style of upbringing

Sorry to our French brothers @jimmiz & @FallenangelGparsons and anybody else - I'm only half serious, and I'm the first to the acknowledge my own nation's shortcomings! :lol:

*you're also pretty good at gastronomy, the fine arts and protesting, so swings and roundabouts

:lol:

Before relaunching the Hundred Years War with you, could you please explain me the word "dithering"? :lol:

meanwhile... (I reckon her campaign is doomed though tbh)

Samir Ibiza
5 hrs

Dear resident friends of the island.

In the forthcoming election my good friend Marta de la Mata is campaigning for us to have a much more liberal Ibiza again after the looney government have put a stop to practically everything over the last few years without any real consideration!!
If you are in Ibiza today please head down to Nassau beach and become the movement to make the change ...together we can make a difference!
As you know the situation in Ibiza is critical and if we don’t do anything about it we are destined to years of misery. There are almost 27.000 residents in the island that have the right to vote and choose the politicians that they would like to be represented by. We will talk about that later but now the most important thing is that you activate your right to vote. I am going to forward you some information in Spanish now, feel free to ask her if you have any questions.

The moment is now, and it is our responsibility to make change!

IBIZA NEEDS YOU ❤

See you at:
NASSAU BEACH CLUB
Today Thursday november 8th from 6 pm to 9 pn

Queridos amigos residentes de la isla. Como saben, la situación en Ibiza es crítica y si no hacemos nada al respecto, estamos destinados a años de miseria. Hay casi 27,000 residentes en la isla que tienen el derecho de votar y elegir a los políticos por los que les gustaría ser representados. Hablaremos de eso más adelante, pero ahora lo más importante es que active su derecho de voto. No duden en preguntarme si tiene alguna pregunta.

¡El momento es ahora, y es nuestra responsabilidad hacer que las cosas cambien!

IBIZA TE NECESITA ❤

Reunion en:
NASSAU BEACH CLUB
Hoy jueves 8 de noviembre de 6 a 9 pn.

main takeaway from this thread for me and @craig72 is taking your animals on a flight.

the days of the rowdy ibiza flight are over people, because if my akita says you should sit quietly, and you like your hands attached to your arms....

Hang on hang on talk us through the cat thing...you took your kitty to Ibiza and back? Or you picked up a cat on your spiritual journey through the season?

Adopted a stray. Found him under a car being harassed by dogs, about 6-weeks old. No sign of the mother or rest of the litter. This was 23:00 at night and we were getting ready to go out. So the decision was made to keep it overnight and deal with it in the morning...
Found him a rescue home and everything. But of course the missus had grown attached by this point. So, she convinced me she'd done her research and it was easy enough getting him home so long as was fully vaccinated. So fives trips to the vets and several hundred €s later he's good to go.
Only the UK & Ireland are the only places in the EU that don't allow pets to arrive in the cabin. Plus, Spanish carriers only allow registered companies to book animals into the hold, the public can't. Long and short of it, was the getting a ferry back to the UK was the only option.
Flight to Paris > overnight in a pet friendly hotel > cab across the city to Gare du Nord > 2 train to Calais > collected by brother at the port and ferry back to Dover > drive home.
Another €300 down the pan.
So, Yeah, got a cat now. A bloody immigrant cat at that.
"What the maddest thing you did in Ibiza?"
A. Adopted a cat.
My advice: don't adopt a cat abroad. Don't get attached. Don't even pet them in the street. More agg than it's worth.
And don't believe your missus when she says "it'll be easy"

Lovely cat though. Getting his balls done next week.

Adopted a stray. Found him under a car being harassed by dogs, about 6-weeks old. No sign of the mother or rest of the litter. This was 23:00 at night and we were getting ready to go out. So the decision was made to keep it overnight and deal with it in the morning...
Found him a rescue home and everything. But of course the missus had grown attached by this point. So, she convinced me she'd done her research and it was easy enough getting him home so long as was fully vaccinated. So fives trips to the vets and several hundred €s later he's good to go.
Only the UK & Ireland are the only places in the EU that don't allow pets to arrive in the cabin. Plus, Spanish carriers only allow registered companies to book animals into the hold, the public can't. Long and short of it, was the getting a ferry back to the UK was the only option.
Flight to Paris > overnight in a pet friendly hotel > cab across the city to Gare du Nord > 2 train to Calais > collected by brother at the port and ferry back to Dover > drive home.
Another €300 down the pan.
So, Yeah, got a cat now. A bloody immigrant cat at that.
"What the maddest thing you did in Ibiza?"
A. Adopted a cat.
My advice: don't adopt a cat abroad. Don't get attached. Don't even pet them in the street. More agg than it's worth.
And don't believe your missus when she says "it'll be easy"

Lovely cat though. Getting his balls done next week.

Oh my! Fantastic story that mate, but feel your pain! Not like you had anything better to spend that money on eh?!

Has it dawned on your poor cat yet that the streets of Maidstone are far tougher than anything he’s come across yet?

What’s the cat’s name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back