what some of the locals think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are the next round of elections in Ibiza? The current lot are putting forward some bold plans, so interested to see how long they have got before re-election time.
If the upmarket mega rich are moving out and at the same time lower income tourists are getting priced out then the island really will struggle.

next election is already in may 2019!

When are the next round of elections in Ibiza? The current lot are putting forward some bold plans, so interested to see how long they have got before re-election time.

If the upmarket mega rich are moving out and at the same time lower income tourists are getting priced out then the island really will struggle.

Not sure about that.
Who actually benefits from 2000 euro table service and 1000 dollar a day yachts.
More than half of them in ibiza town were empty this year (again my source..) and when the likes of carl cox is openly declaring ibizas prices obscene the something needs addressing.

I don't know much about politics etc but I had a really nice taxi driver to Km5 and she said every year more and more bad people are coming to the island and theft and break ins and getting more and more common

The villas have always been targeted for breakins.
Back in the mid 90s it was well known that teams from the uk and mainland spain were actively targeting the wealthy villas. We had a lot of security in the place this year , cameras , alarms , and we were told that if we saw anyone near the propert then activate the alarm.
Never saw anyone but the days of leaving the doors and windows open at sleeptime have long gone.

the stark contrast between how younger Brits in IBZ and older Brits in Form are perceived by locals

https://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuses-balears/2018/11/08/in-love-guiris/1026694.html

Struggling to translate that at the minute, bloody phone. Does it some days, other days it doesn't want to know!

Is it still banging on about balconies? Be surprised if they don't ban British people from booking rooms with balconies from 2019 onwards.

Or is it pushing the preference at attracting older tourists, that don't get legless or off their boxes every night?

Both fine by me, as I never really jump off balconies and I'm racing through my 30s at an alarmingly fast pace.

i'll paraphrase it for those unable to translate:

it says the Brits who go to Formentera only make up about 4% of visitors there but are generally enthusiastic about local food & drink, culture, nordic walking and birdwatching, average age: pushing 50 (often with family in tow)

obvious contrast with SA although tourism chief José Antonio Ferragut is not entirely negative. he wants to diversify the kinds of visitors the resort attracts eg welcoming people there for events like Multideporte. Changing the model of tourism will take years but with hotel upgrades he wants to see more 007 Martini drinkers and fewer classic borrachos (beer boys)

Santa Eularia meanwhile seem happy enough with their tourists "Absolutamente in love" "They keep coming back year after year! So loyal!" beamed mayor Vincent Mari. The town is also seeing a growing market of more discreet Brits who stay there but party elsewhere.

Overall, Gloria Corral, head of tourism at the Ibiza town Ayuntamiento has mixed views on the Brits - essentially a 2 tier market completely divided by age, geography and mentality (which I'm guessing is nothing new..)

Struggling to translate that at the minute, bloody phone. Does it some days, other days it doesn't want to know!

Is it still banging on about balconies? Be surprised if they don't ban British people from booking rooms with balconies from 2019 onwards.

Or is it pushing the preference at attracting older tourists, that don't get legless or off their boxes every night?

Both fine by me, as I never really jump off balconies and I'm racing through my 30s at an alarmingly fast pace.

Attracting solely older tourists works well in the short term, they are better behaved and generally more wealthy. But the big issue is they die! or at least becoming too frail to travel. You need a new batch of younger tourists each year to keep the numbers up.

And as has been discussed on here before, there's an argument that most catch the Ibiza bug when they are young and keep coming back. If you dont catch em early they might never visit Ibiza at all.

I recently visited the Costa Del Sol and admittedly it was out of season but it was the oldest set of people i've ever seen in a resort and I wondered what will happen in 5/10 years when these guests aren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back