We're Up All Night To Get Lucky?

I wonder if you say the same about any producer/artist that started making music decades ago as well?

Not at all, but very few artists/musicians can keep the same quality of output over decades. The only musicians I like as much, possibly more, than I did a few decades ago are Radiohead (always pushing boundaries and going off in new directions) and Damon Albarn (Gorillaz > Blur :p). I'm also giving the new Primal Scream album a go, hoping it comes close to the brilliance of their 90s releases and not the post-XTRMNTR stuff, but it's asking a lot. ;) The Daft Punk single just sounds like generic dance/pop - could be anyone really.

Not at all, but very few artists/musicians can keep the same quality of output over decades. The only musicians I like as much, possibly more, than I did a few decades ago are Radiohead (always pushing boundaries and going off in new directions) and Damon Albarn (Gorillaz > Blur :p). I'm also giving the new Primal Scream album a go, hoping it comes close to the brilliance of their 90s releases and not the post-XTRMNTR stuff, but it's asking a lot. ;) The Daft Punk single just sounds like generic dance/pop - could be anyone really.

It couldn't be anyone else! If you listen to 30 random seconds from any track on the album it screams "Daft Punk"

its a very very different album to Homework & Discovery

not as "club" orientated -which would explain the apparent remix album coming as well

its good, more of a grower
but if you expect to hear an album like the first two you;ll be disappointed
if you listen to it just on its own merits its a good album

Great album imo. Way off trackfrom prev stuff but listening to their interviews and the build up promo its to be expected.

Pure summer funk stuff. Moroder is an excellent tune amd lose yourself to dance ia tremendous.

Looking forward to hearing them remixing themselves. As someone says loads of sample opportunity.

Anyone expecting da funk is stuck in the 90s

My boyfriend split up with me on Monday so this weekend I aim to listen to this song before going out and staying up all night in the hope of getting lucky! It's been good for my motivation and it's definitely catchy but already ridiculously overplayed on the commercial stations we listen to at work!

Anyone expecting da funk is stuck in the 90s

I don't think anyone's expecting (or wanting) Da Funk, though ironically, despite being almost 20 years old, it feels fresher and more vital than Get Lucky. My interest in electronic music is that generally it's fast moving, exciting, possibly cutting edge. Get Lucky is the sort of thing that could draw granny on to the dancefloor; they seem to be targetting the masses in the way boring, clunky bands like Coldplay do. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed Daft Punk (mainly Homework and live album), but holding them up as the most important/best electronic dance act in the world is frankly bizarre. Just my opinion. I'll give the album a chance but the over-hype and the over-playing of Get Lucky is already grating! Maybe I'll eat my words when I actually hear it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I still cant find a streaming version! I just want to give it a once over!

Minimarc if u open iTunes on a computer or iPad then go on daft punks page, click in the album you should then come to the RAM page. On the album icon it will say play now. If your iTunes is slow (as it was on mine) you might need to just leave it open a while before the play option appears. Listen to it from start to finish as some tracks are dynamic in themselves, particularly Giorgio. I've seen people saying they skipped through and hated it - for those who skip through their opinion is invalid. I think it has far more thought and composition put into it than any other album. It's very chilled out ... I absolutely love it :)

At JohnnyV whilst its not cutting edge in the way Da Funk was, Get Lucky sticks out like a sore thumb. The other track with Pharrel on is less cheesey. You get people who say they were rubbish after Homework - they will probably not like it. Those who liked Discovery should like it as it has most similarities to that album.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah ive looked on itunes i get no 'play now' option. however long i leave it

I had to try leaving their page and going back a few times. It won't work on iPhone though. Maybe it's gone? When I open my computer in a bit ill let you know if its still there :)

I had to try leaving their page and going back a few times. It won't work on iPhone though. Maybe it's gone? When I open my computer in a bit ill let you know if its still there :)

I can still listen on my computer.. it took a while of leaving the page and going back etc to get it to work but I was willing to work for it :) I guess it depends how much you want to listen or if you would just wait and buy it? I don't think you'd be able to tell from the short itunes previews what it's like in all its greatness! Of course that is my opinion. It didn't sound great when I flicked through at first but then I listened to it all and I was mesmerized. It's very chilled out, more beach hut than night club :)

And the last few minutes has left me feeling there might be some unfinished business (which might be fulfilled by a remix album? who knows!)

The album is complex and a bit abrasive but catchy at the same time. I find the songs sticking in my head different ones at different times. Some if not most songs have short parts which are not repeated and are just played once. So listen closely if your in to sampling cause there's gold in them da hills.

Very well thought out and truly a wonderful composition of music. Can't wait to here some Remixes sped up for the dance floor.

i promise I will soon stop repeating myself :-$

Back