Weekend shenanigans

^^^ no work tomorrow I hope? Or if do I salute you!!! Fuse is a 20min walk from my house but never made it down since moving here

Didn't hit Fuse. Went home and did the sensible thing. Kind of wish I had though. Jaded was top drawer however! First time I've been since Cable. Love Corsica Studios, and Alan Fitzpatrick was quality. Might be ready to shift my Afterhours allegiance from Dawn to Jaded off the back of that.

Winter Olympics!

I had an amazing 4 days in Sochi. Got back early Wednesday morning.

All the b.s. press about what's going on down there really riled me up. In reality, it was all extremely well organized. Lots of traveling to get to/from the mountain venues but there is free transport everywhere. The 6 seaside venues (curling, hockey, skating) all very compact in the Olympic Park. Friendly people everywhere. Great Caucasus region food to be had. And of course, the sports - I saw men's Super G, men's 2-man bobsleigh, USA v Sweden in the women's hockey semifinal, one of the round-robin men's curling sessions, women's giant slalom, Nordic combined ski jumping, and one of the best hockey matches ever - USA v Russia men's group match.

Sochi has been a PR disaster for Russia - struggling to think of a major sporting event so derided around the world, even Atlanta 96 didn't get such bad press.

Yes, the Western press take great glee in bashing everything it can where Russia is concerned.

The story you're not getting is that, in reality, it's going on very well down there. I had an amazing time. I met other spectators from around Russia and as far away as Arizona who were thoroughly enjoying themselves. The sports facilities and transport infrastructure are really top notch.

Must admit it looks fine to me. Great opening ceremony, good location and a load of happy folk around enjoying it all. The fact the odd athlete gets locked in a cubicle and some participator toilets have spectator seats doesn't make a Winter Olympics a disaster ! Nor do the politics of the sponsoring state in terms of matters relating to sexual orientation. Still no major security issues either. There's a lot about Putin I don't like but he seems to have put on a great Winter Olympics.

It's bs to suggest there's some kind of western agenda against russia. That's just putin propaganda. It suits him to play victim to keep his people on side (whilst quietly approving the slaughter of ukraine's pro-democracy movement) The human rights thing can't be ignored and it's something that's sadly going to come up again at the next world cup.

It's bs to suggest there's some kind of western agenda against russia. That's just putin propaganda. It suits him to play victim to keep his people on side (whilst quietly approving the slaughter of ukraine's pro-democracy movement) The human rights thing can't be ignored and it's something that's sadly going to come up again at the next world cup.
Let's not get into politics here. You've drunk the cool-aid on Ukraine (Ukraine pro-democracy movement? A majority elected the current president in fair elections. They just don't like him now, and rightfully so after protesters were killed. But it's an anti-Yanukovich coalition, not "pro-democracy") I'm American so I'm immune to Putin propaganda. But I'm also here so I see reality not what you all are spoon-fed by your media.

Last edited:
Young people are being SHOT DEAD right now!!! I'm reading harrowing reports from ordinary people on social media, unless you're suggesting they're all made up. If you think that's a democracy, then god help us all...

Young people are being SHOT DEAD right now!!! I'm reading harrowing reports from ordinary people on social media, unless you're suggesting they're all made up. If you think that's a democracy, then god help us all...
You're a little bit tone deaf. That's not what I said (there are snipers working on both sides of the battles in Kiev right now, by the way, but obviously the government has gone too far).

But as I said above and as Wednesday23 rightly pointed out, this is not the forum and particularly not the thread for this talk so let's end it now and move on.

So this weekend I'm reading political debates on Ibiza Spotlight...
And I shall be trying to extricate myself from a useless political debate :lol:

Tonight, I shall be down at the pub watching the US v Canada Olympic hockey semifinal.
Tomorrow, aside from watching football, I have a housewarming party to attend and hope to make it to Arma17 for Ricardo Villalobos
Sunday I'm meeting up with some people to watch the hockey final and closing ceremony.

Back