Weekend Plans

I loved Turin 30 years back but never made it to the stadium though. Only a few years after Heysel, made sense to stay well clear. Fond memories of venice on that tour too. They did the right thing banning cruises imo but was it too late?

i’m boarding a plane tmrw for first time in 2 years! only a domestic one but feels symbolic

The student/bar street is fab and generally full of life.

Also some great agritourismi in the surrounding area. We sytayed at one about an hour and a half outside of the city, near Parma, and had the best meal of our lives- we were the only guests, the chef asked if we wanted to choose from the menu, or just let him cook for us, we obviously said go for it, and it was absolutely incredible, mind blowing, deliciousness

EDIT: Just found the place, it was HERE

Sparkling red Lambrusco wine too- sounds weird, but blimey, it was nice
that looks nectar!

Went to the shops, watched the rugby. Off to see the dam tomorrow for belated Xmas gift giving. Then Monday is España for a week with work. Lovely jubbly

Lively weekend in Madrid, packed it all in. I like the city a lot, esp the Malasaña area, the San Miguel food market and Café Berlin for live music (saw some decent flamenco, the real deal not tourist cheese). Stayed at some chesp hotel near Ópera. Must've walked miles. Prev unaware of local tradition that you get free tapas with every drink. The Ave train is a v good service too. 3hrs to BCN. On downside we found out my gf could get deported in 90 days time for not having the correct residency paperwork, so mega stress incoming.. damn you brexshit 🤦

Lively weekend in Madrid, packed it all in. I like the city a lot, esp the Malasaña area, the San Miguel food market and Café Berlin for live music (saw some decent flamenco, the real deal not tourist cheese). Stayed at some chesp hotel near Ópera. Must've walked miles. Prev unaware of local tradition that you get free tapas with every drink. The Ave train is a v good service too. 3hrs to BCN. On downside we found out my gf could get deported in 90 days time for not having the correct residency paperwork, so mega stress incoming.. damn you brexshit 🤦
I am thinking about a trip to Madrid, what are the current Covid rules and the adherence thereof? I cannot be bothered if there are a lot of restrictions.

I am thinking about a trip to Madrid, what are the current Covid rules and the adherence thereof? I cannot be bothered if there are a lot of restrictions.
Not many restrictions in Madrid , all is open ( club included) juste need to wear a mask inside the shops , museum ect but nothing more ( Madrid is the only city in Spain where the restrictions were always lighter than the rest of Spain , except at the beginning of course )
Barcelona getting better as well 🙂

anecdotally Madrid didn't feel that different to BCN in that regard tbh. The regional president Ayuso had given the impression it was some libertarian utopia (probably to woo visitors) but most people I saw were still masked up in public. Obv it is only time now before they come off. At the music venue I went to, people were dancing normally. Spain has been more cautious than other countries but my guess is 99% normal by the summer.

I’m just getting home, been a long January working away. January appears to have about 400 days in it.

Straight into a rather unusual weekend:

•Thursday: Fathers funeral
•Friday: Brothers wedding
•Saturday: Bare knuckle fight

Apologies, I may have reeled you in there with a couple of these. I’ll explain….

Funeral: my biological father died early January. I never really knew him, he bailed on me when I was about 3 years old. I always assumed he had another family and all that. Turns out he didn’t. Died alone. A team of solicitors tracked me down as I’m his only living relative and legal NOK.

I’ve had to organise a funeral and all the other stuff like coroners and death registry for a person I don’t even know. Such a weird situation. There will be more to come. I’ve been totally thrown into the deep end here.

Wedding: my younger brother (half brother if you’ve read above) had a bit of a mare with the lockdown in 2020. Totally ballsed up his wedding. I told him it was a sign from god lol. Anyway they were forced to relegate their big day to a registry office, with a plan to have a proper wedding style bash when things open up. So this Friday it will be, with a massive turn out expected. Him and his missus are a cracking couple and are well thought off, should be a good party.

Bare knuckle fight: not me, I must add. My brother in law has a school friend that is apparently pretty decent at it. He got me a ticket for his next bout at a leisure centre in Walker. All legal and official apparently. I’m kind of half excited and half worried as to what to expect. Only downside to this is it’s an early afternoon start. I’ll have to drag myself out of a drunken comatose state to make it on time. My brother in law says he’ll have a pint waiting for me in the battle cruiser before we go.

There is a wedding ‘after party’ planned for Saturday night too, just in case we haven’t drank enough the night before.

Prediction for the days following with be a 5 day hangover as I begin my decking project in the back garden.

I hope you’re all keeping well :D

Just going to catch up with all the threads on here and start allowing myself to get excited at the prospect of actually getting out to Ibiza this summer!!!

😜

Friday to Monday - escaping to Gibraltar with three friends.
We went last September and it's safe as houses plus in the Mediterranean sun.

Lots of walking and exploring up the rock is planned, then on Sunday have a table booked to watch England on a 30ft wide screen in the marina.

72hrs away the sh*t storm here! :cool:

we had this mad idea about hiring an apartment there in May for visa reasons as missus has to be out of Spain but doesn't want to rtn to UK. Is there much to see/do, other than feed the monkeys?

we had this mad idea about hiring an apartment there in May for visa reasons as missus has to be out of Spain but doesn't want to rtn to UK. Is there much to see/do, other than feed the monkeys?
It's definitely worth a visit for it's simplicity. Obviously English speaking, and English money accepted e.t.c
Lots of historical sights and the top of the rock is well worth it for the views, and being started on by the monkeys! Along with a wide range of cuisines and decent bars too. I always thought it would be sunburnt Brits in the sun but there's a real mix of people and locals are fiercely loyal to Gibraltar, which is always an interesting chat.

I'm back out there early June over the Queens Jubilee weekend and staying on the Sunborn yacht hotel 👍👍

Back