Weekend Plans

Strange about Sunday. I know they struggled to shift tickets for Sunday. Did it seem less busier?? That might've affected the sound.

:eek: Pics?! :twisted:

Sunday wasn't that busy, if Prydz was 10,000 then maybe 6k tops. Very young crowd as expected, but to be fair the atmosphere was bouncing and pretty good. Apart from Sister Bliss all the sets seemed louder. I don't think it related to less people so not sure what was going on. I rate Prydz highly but normally only manage to see him at the SW4 after-parties but this year looks like I'll see him at Wild Life & Tomorrowland too so hopefully some opportunities to make up for Saturday with a good old fashioned DJ set.

To be honest I didn't notice her, my mate said it was her, then some girls started trying to take photos of her but she was with a big group of blokes who kind of just surrounded her and danced around her. Looked like she was on it though!

Brief We Are FSTVL (Sunday) Review - Part 2

My friends wanted to go to Paradise at the Terminal 1 main stage. I wasn't that fussed to be completely honest but headed over there with them in any case. Lawler had just jumped on and started on this peach from his own label:

It looked like he was playing B2B with somebody else - but I didn't recognise who. Younger, taller DJ with short fair hair. In previous years We Are haven't published set-times but have had them listed outside each arena (unless you wanted to recklessly part with silly money for a laminated lanyard!) This year they didn't even do that!

I didn't stay long in Paradise. It was busy and crowd was fairly ghastly. Next I spent some time over in the DT arena catching up with those guys before heading back to Cocoon for the finale.

As some of you will know from my Time Warp review, I didn't really get a fair crack of the whip with Sven on that occasion. And, actually, that is a fairly reoccurring theme. It seems I am the only Sven fan amongst my close-knit group. Although I've caught part of his sets at Cocoon closing, Winter Social & Time Warp, the last time I've seen him play a full set was SW4 2015. My friends had bailed by this point to attend a private function at Ministry, so I was riding solo and I was gonna use the opportunity to do want I wanted to do!

First hour of Sven was okay. Some good track selection, but it didn't blow me away. My earlier beer hadn't even touched the sides and I'd been drinking water for the past few hours. I was yearning for some kind of substance to help loosen me up and elope with the music! But weary that I had to drive home in a few hours I stayed sensible. 22:00 hit, and almost on the hour to the dot Sven moved into 5th gear. His last hour was truly breathtaking. Incredible music and energy. For the next 60-mins he moved me and the rest of the arena, and i forgot i was stone-cold sober. Just a few of the tracks I picked out:

He ended on this, and it was perfection:

Papa was rightfully applauded off. I'm so glad I stuck it out. I stand-by my thoughts that Sven is really a DJ you need to stick with for the long haul and go with. You can't duck in and out and expect to be feelin' it within a few minutes.

As I posted earlier in this thread, my friend was due to close this arena. But after Sven had finished the production crew turned off the amps and brought the lights up. I didn't know what was happening, but people took it as the end of the night and started to leave in their droves. There was probably a few hundred people left milling around. I felt bad for my friend as he was looking forward to this a lot and I knew how nervous he was. I could imagine him screwing. 1 of the security at the front started shouting "THERE'S ONE MORE SET! ONE MORE SET!"

(I later learned that this was deliberate and political. Basically, We Are hadn't told Sven that an unknown was closing his stage!! :spank: So they had to wait until he had left the vicinity)

The music came back on about 23:15. Fortunately the crowds swarmed back inside and the arena filled again.

I only stayed for a couple of tracks and then I made my way to the exit and back to the car. Leaving the site wasn't as hellish as I'd anticipated and the roads were relatively clear. On the way home I witnessed the spectacular lightning storm.

Although I remained sober, this was probably my favourite We Are experience to date. The music in Cocoon was top notch. My favourite sets read like my itinerary and I can't remember the last time that happened - normally you peak before the end I find:

1st. Sven Vath
2nd. Solomun
3rd. Ilario Alicante
4th. Paravana DJs

My overall opinion on We Are has not changed. It is ridiculously overpriced - both tickets and drinks once inside. If you're the kind of person who wants merch/memorabilia and all that shebang then expect to get rinsed even further. It's also really badly organised. They haven't addressed this issue at all the 5 years they've been running. If you compare it to Creamfields - which I think is on par in terms of music selection, type of crowd and even size nowadays - then Creamfields is by far-and-away the superior option.

Okay, they have 20 years of experience. But at least they have reasonably priced cash bars, empty their cesspits (truly disgusting scenes on Sunday - several inches of piss and mud inside and around the urinals & portaloo facilities) and keep queues flowing. We Are are stealing a living. I don't expect them to address these issue as they have no incentive too - they sell out regardless.

That said, in all likelihood I will go again next year. It is the curtain raiser to the festival season and it's so close to my doorstep it'd feel rude not to. It's become ritual. But with those prices I will drive again for sure.

I'd far rather they cut their unnecessarily huuuuge line-up in half, reduce their own costs in the process and pass these savings onto their customers. But will that happen? Or course not.

Nice review ... we went for two days and whilst the queuing to get in was a bit of a pain it didn't ruin things ... we were lucky with the weather and avoided the downpour you mentioned by getting into the Clockwork Orange tent just before it hammered down .... you are right about the drinks prices but it was even worse for us as for some stupid reason we bought £100 worth up front for both days and only spent about £130 and couldn't be bothered to queue for the refunds ... as I mentioned elsewhere we spent most of Saturday in Diynamic tent which was mostly empty even for Solomun and Adriatique there was only a handful of people but they played probably better than Solomun ... Sunday we were a bit jaded but Clockwork Orange was fun if a little cheesy at times before we headed to the Cocoon tent for Solomun ... we caught twenty minutes of Ilario Alicante before Solomun came on and this was clearly an entirely different crowd / set to Saturday ... probably a bit too hard for the wife's liking but I enjoyed it and the crowd really seemed to enjoy it ... I am now a bit gutted we didn't stay for Sven (as I love that L.Garnier track) but she had had enough techno so we finished up back at Clockwork Orange with Tall Paul and a couple of others which actually was great fun with room to dance right up the front on the metal barriers ... although the bars started to run out of water and can't believe it was Fosters or Desperados only ! We headed back to Space in ththe VIP at 10.30 to meet some people we shared a lift from the hotel with at 11 to head back ... our first festival and my first big "rave" since Universe in 1993 and despite the ridiculous costs (I think it would have been cheaper to go to IBiza) I really enjoyed it and actually thought the organisation and crowds were okay but not so sure if the weather had not been great !

Nice review ... we went for two days and whilst the queuing to get in was a bit of a pain it didn't ruin things ... we were lucky with the weather and avoided the downpour you mentioned by getting into the Clockwork Orange tent just before it hammered down .... you are right about the drinks prices but it was even worse for us as for some stupid reason we bought £100 worth up front for both days and only spent about £130 and couldn't be bothered to queue for the refunds ... as I mentioned elsewhere we spent most of Saturday in Diynamic tent which was mostly empty even for Solomun and Adriatique there was only a handful of people but they played probably better than Solomun ... Sunday we were a bit jaded but Clockwork Orange was fun if a little cheesy at times before we headed to the Cocoon tent for Solomun ... we caught twenty minutes of Ilario Alicante before Solomun came on and this was clearly an entirely different crowd / set to Saturday ... probably a bit too hard for the wife's liking but I enjoyed it and the crowd really seemed to enjoy it ... I am now a bit gutted we didn't stay for Sven (as I love that L.Garnier track) but she had had enough techno so we finished up back at Clockwork Orange with Tall Paul and a couple of others which actually was great fun with room to dance right up the front on the metal barriers ... although the bars started to run out of water and can't believe it was Fosters or Desperados only ! We headed back to Space in ththe VIP at 10.30 to meet some people we shared a lift from the hotel with at 11 to head back ... our first festival and my first big "rave" since Universe in 1993 and despite the ridiculous costs (I think it would have been cheaper to go to IBiza) I really enjoyed it and actually thought the organisation and crowds were okay but not so sure if the weather had not been great !
We did Saturday and was there for the Solomun set. I thought he was good, but I've seen him better. The numbers situation in that tent was a bit odd and like you say had completely thinned out for Adriatique. We left shortly after they came on, but headed back around 11 when it was really low numbers wise, yet for me they played the best music I heard all day.

Pre-Solomun we were at Circoloco which was pretty decent.

On the whole we had a good day. We didn't have any hassle getting in, but this was probably because we were there early. Negatives were, no set times, the ridiculous beer situation and the rudeness of a number of the people working there. At the end we were trying to find our mate who had driven over to pick us up and was parked in one of the fields there and on two occasions we were bellowed at by stewards. Totally unnecessary!! There was a group of girls near us who happened to say something along the lines of that they hadn't understood, to be shouted at 'is it because I'm Scottish???' Knob!

We did Saturday and was there for the Solomun set. I thought he was good, but I've seen him better. The numbers situation in that tent was a bit odd and like you say had completely thinned out for Adriatique. We left shortly after they came on, but headed back around 11 when it was really low numbers wise, yet for me they played the best music I heard all day.

Pre-Solomun we were at Circoloco which was pretty decent.

On the whole we had a good day. We didn't have any hassle getting in, but this was probably because we were there early. Negatives were, no set times, the ridiculous beer situation and the rudeness of a number of the people working there. At the end we were trying to find our mate who had driven over to pick us up and was parked in one of the fields there and on two occasions we were bellowed at by stewards. Totally unnecessary!! There was a group of girls near us who happened to say something along the lines of that they hadn't understood, to be shouted at 'is it because I'm Scottish???' Knob!

Actually totally forgot we had a nightmare leaving on Saturday night ... we were getting a shuttle bus back to Brentwood (hoping to be dropped at hotel as it went past the door but they refused). Basically got on bus at about 12.15 and it got stuck in gridlock due to an accident or something ended up getting back to the hotel at 1.45 !

Don't suppose you (Hired Goon) was one of the people I spoke to? Blue polo shirt / blond hair I think ... you mentioned having kids and going to Solomun at Pacha ? I was in black tshirt and a shit hat ... this now sounds like one of those "saw you on the tube" things from the Metro ...

Actually totally forgot we had a nightmare leaving on Saturday night ... we were getting a shuttle bus back to Brentwood (hoping to be dropped at hotel as it went past the door but they refused). Basically got on bus at about 12.15 and it got stuck in gridlock due to an accident or something ended up getting back to the hotel at 1.45 !

Don't suppose you (Hired Goon) was one of the people I spoke to? Blue polo shirt / blond hair I think ... you mentioned having kids and going to Solomun at Pacha ? I was in black tshirt and a shit hat ... this now sounds like one of those "saw you on the tube" things from the Metro ...
Ha ha. That description you've given there, sounds very much like my mate. Was he wearing blue glasses? We were on the right side, facing the stage.

Ha ha. That description you've given there, sounds very much like my mate. Was he wearing blue glasses? We were on the right side, facing the stage.

Yes right hand side of the stage ... you started talking to my wife about Pikes Hotel and she introduced you to an Aussie girl who also goes to Pikes regularly ... we were talking about how amazing it was so few people at Solomun and that I'm off to Ibiza next week for first of three trips this year ... I was pretty wasted so not sure how much made sense ... we really enjoyed the friendly vibe at the Diynamic tent ... amazing to meet a Spotlighter randomly like that

Yes right hand side of the stage ... you started talking to my wife about Pikes Hotel and she introduced you to an Aussie girl who also goes to Pikes regularly ... we were talking about how amazing it was so few people at Solomun and that I'm off to Ibiza next week for first of three trips this year ... I was pretty wasted so not sure how much made sense ... we really enjoyed the friendly vibe at the Diynamic tent ... amazing to meet a Spotlighter randomly like that
That was us - ha ha. Small world :)

Brief We Are FSTVL (Sunday) Review - Part 2

My friends wanted to go to Paradise at the Terminal 1 main stage. I wasn't that fussed to be completely honest but headed over there with them in any case. Lawler had just jumped on and started on this peach from his own label:

It looked like he was playing B2B with somebody else - but I didn't recognise who. Younger, taller DJ with short fair hair. In previous years We Are haven't published set-times but have had them listed outside each arena (unless you wanted to recklessly part with silly money for a laminated lanyard!) This year they didn't even do that!

I didn't stay long in Paradise. It was busy and crowd was fairly ghastly. Next I spent some time over in the DT arena catching up with those guys before heading back to Cocoon for the finale.

As some of you will know from my Time Warp review, I didn't really get a fair crack of the whip with Sven on that occasion. And, actually, that is a fairly reoccurring theme. It seems I am the only Sven fan amongst my close-knit group. Although I've caught part of his sets at Cocoon closing, Winter Social & Time Warp, the last time I've seen him play a full set was SW4 2015. My friends had bailed by this point to attend a private function at Ministry, so I was riding solo and I was gonna use the opportunity to do want I wanted to do!

First hour of Sven was okay. Some good track selection, but it didn't blow me away. My earlier beer hadn't even touched the sides and I'd been drinking water for the past few hours. I was yearning for some kind of substance to help loosen me up and elope with the music! But weary that I had to drive home in a few hours I stayed sensible. 22:00 hit, and almost on the hour to the dot Sven moved into 5th gear. His last hour was truly breathtaking. Incredible music and energy. For the next 60-mins he moved me and the rest of the arena, and i forgot i was stone-cold sober. Just a few of the tracks I picked out:

He ended on this, and it was perfection:

Papa was rightfully applauded off. I'm so glad I stuck it out. I stand-by my thoughts that Sven is really a DJ you need to stick with for the long haul and go with. You can't duck in and out and expect to be feelin' it within a few minutes.

As I posted earlier in this thread, my friend was due to close this arena. But after Sven had finished the production crew turned off the amps and brought the lights up. I didn't know what was happening, but people took it as the end of the night and started to leave in their droves. There was probably a few hundred people left milling around. I felt bad for my friend as he was looking forward to this a lot and I knew how nervous he was. I could imagine him screwing. 1 of the security at the front started shouting "THERE'S ONE MORE SET! ONE MORE SET!"

(I later learned that this was deliberate and political. Basically, We Are hadn't told Sven that an unknown was closing his stage!! :spank: So they had to wait until he had left the vicinity)

The music came back on about 23:15. Fortunately the crowds swarmed back inside and the arena filled again.

I only stayed for a couple of tracks and then I made my way to the exit and back to the car. Leaving the site wasn't as hellish as I'd anticipated and the roads were relatively clear. On the way home I witnessed the spectacular lightning storm.

Although I remained sober, this was probably my favourite We Are experience to date. The music in Cocoon was top notch. My favourite sets read like my itinerary and I can't remember the last time that happened - normally you peak before the end I find:

1st. Sven Vath
2nd. Solomun
3rd. Ilario Alicante
4th. Paravana DJs

My overall opinion on We Are has not changed. It is ridiculously overpriced - both tickets and drinks once inside. If you're the kind of person who wants merch/memorabilia and all that shebang then expect to get rinsed even further. It's also really badly organised. They haven't addressed this issue at all the 5 years they've been running. If you compare it to Creamfields - which I think is on par in terms of music selection, type of crowd and even size nowadays - then Creamfields is by far-and-away the superior option.

Okay, they have 20 years of experience. But at least they have reasonably priced cash bars, empty their cesspits (truly disgusting scenes on Sunday - several inches of piss and mud inside and around the urinals & portaloo facilities) and keep queues flowing. We Are are stealing a living. I don't expect them to address these issue as they have no incentive too - they sell out regardless.

That said, in all likelihood I will go again next year. It is the curtain raiser to the festival season and it's so close to my doorstep it'd feel rude not to. It's become ritual. But with those prices I will drive again for sure.

I'd far rather they cut their unnecessarily huuuuge line-up in half, reduce their own costs in the process and pass these savings onto their customers. But will that happen? Or course not.

I live 5 minutes away, could hear it all weekend. Went to the first one and thought the toilet and bar situation was a joke, and they doubled the price from year 1 to year 2 so I never went back.

Haha. @TheHiredGoon and @Zapclub93 meet on the off-chance, and me & @Ikoda would miss each other in a 2-man tent! :lol::lol::lol:
Three times no less :lol: :lol:

Just realised that you mentioned Sven played an Above & Beyond track. :O
Rod-Hor is a beast as well. :)

Saturday, for me, will likely be spent in a club, somewhere in London, celebrating my mate finishing a finance exam that he's dedicated most of this year to. I expect a hangover.
Likely something more off the cuff than a dance music, like an indie or cheese night.

Last edited:
I'm off to Center Parcs for my sister's 30th. Quite a departure from the usual antics!! Gonna be weird starting next week feeling refreshed and energized :lol:

Still, got the niece and nephews to entertain, so maybe ill be more shattered than I'm anticipating.

Junction 2 next weekend though :D Also taking consideration of a cheeky afters at Solomun all night long. Seems rude not to!

I'm off to Center Parcs for my sister's 30th. Quite a departure from the usual antics!! Gonna be weird starting next week feeling refreshed and energized :lol:

Still, got the niece and nephews to entertain, so maybe ill be more shattered than I'm anticipating.

Junction 2 next weekend though :D Also taking consideration of a cheeky afters at Solomun all night long. Seems rude not to!

Fourth time lucky? Hopefully will see you there :lol:
Need to sort my Jct2 ticket out, annoyingly, the one I bought on ticket swap was a fake.

Fourth time lucky? Hopefully will see you there :lol:
Need to sort my Jct2 ticket out, annoyingly, the one I bought on ticket swap was a fake.

Ahh shit man. How did you find out?? At least you found out before you got there. I still need to sort some tickets out for friends. I was hoping they were gonna do an end of month payday deal as they normally do, but typically...

Ahh shit man. How did you find out?? At least you found out before you got there. I still need to sort some tickets out for friends. I was hoping they were gonna do an end of month payday deal as they normally do, but typically...

Got it through TicketSwap. They sent out an email that about 20 people who had been selling tickets were all fake - Clever scam too if you ask me.
But at least they are refunding it.

Got it through TicketSwap. They sent out an email that about 20 people who had been selling tickets were all fake - Clever scam too if you ask me.
But at least they are refunding it.
Exactly the same happened to me! was fuming when I saw the email!

Exactly the same happened to me! was fuming when I saw the email!

At least they've refunded us, and there was due diligence to check. Better than turning up, with a fake ticket, on the day.

However, as final release is £60, it's a sudden jump up in cost. -_-

Back