Top tip: Watch out for pickpockets at all times

I'm alone a lot...

I can picture someone doing a documentary on these thieving scumbags and as much as I hate em it would be a fascinating watch

I be alone a lot myself got pickpocket once in 2012 and have been really alert in certain areas since I'd have had nothing since fingers crossed it stays that way. Seen a documentary once of pickpockets in Prague and even when they were caught they were just waiting to be released to start doing it again no remorse from them! Need one made for Ibiza!

@John Essex that's really shitty, and I'm sorry to hear.

May I ask, what type of shorts/trousers were u wearing?

I only ask because I nearly always go out in skinny-fit jeans and keep my valuables in my front pockets. To this day I've never personally had an issue (even though I've been with a group who've been targeted by pickpockets).

A few times I've intended to go out wearing looser fit beach-like shorts with more open pockets. But ended up vetoing it simply because I felt it would be too easy for pickpockets.

maybe I'm prejudiced but I just felt instinctively on edge every time I entered the west end - maybe more due to wariness of yobs than thieves or whores but either way, I only really relax when I'm outside that zone. I've no idea what PDB is like these days but virtually nobody on this site ever really sings its praises, which is pretty telling. Psychologically I feel so much more at ease elsewhere on the island, even though I guess opportunists are everywhere. All that said, I'm not sure IBZ is any worse than elsewhere in Spain. Bag snatching has been a problem in BCN for centuries!

Nearly got robbed at Space Closing last year... Went to the left-hand side bar in the discoteca at around 10am or so and there was a Spanish coupe there... The girl was asking where i was from etc... I ordered my drink and the bar staff set my card down in front of me on the bar... I think i must have turned round for a second to see the C02 cannons going off or something, but when i turned back round to get my card, it had gone... Because i was kicking up so much of a fuss, the bar woman started to assume that the Spanish couple had it... I looked down and saw half the card sticking out from under the girls foot... Caught them right in the act!! Tramps!!! I picked it up, told her to fcuk off, ruffled my afro and headed back down to the scenes on the floor...

Nearly got robbed at Space Closing last year... Went to the left-hand side bar in the discoteca at around 10am or so and there was a Spanish coupe there... The girl was asking where i was from etc... I ordered my drink and the bar staff set my card down in front of me on the bar... I think i must have turned round for a second to see the C02 cannons going off or something, but when i turned back round to get my card, it had gone... Because i was kicking up so much of a fuss, the bar woman started to assume that the Spanish couple had it... I looked down and saw half the card sticking out from under the girls foot... Caught them right in the act!! Tramps!!! I picked it up, told her to fcuk off, ruffled my afro and headed back down to the scenes on the floor...
Had my wallet stolen at the exact same bar at space closing last year! completely ruined my high spirits and good mood!

Rested my feet for a minute at the ferry terminal in Ibiza town. A Spanish guy approached with a bag filled with British £1 pound coins. He said he just returned from England on holiday and he couldn't get the coins exchanged back into euros and wanted to sell them to me. Dawned on me afterwards they were probably fake coins. According to metro news £1 in every 30 is a fake. Wonder if there is a black market in the Med for trading fake coins to British tourists.

thing is if you talk to any strangers like a best friends then you are an easy target.

do you do this at back home? no!

i walked around san A and bossa on my own many times. i dont drink so never drunk. there were some dodgy people greeting to me like they have not seen me for 10 years and acting like best friends. i simple look away and no eye contact. walk away. never got robbed.

i'm going to ibiza in 2 weeks time, will be 15th time, going back there again in this aug for the 16th time! i love the place.

just be more aware and cautious with people around you and you'll be fine.

@John Essex that's really shitty, and I'm sorry to hear.

May I ask, what type of shorts/trousers were u wearing?

I only ask because I nearly always go out in skinny-fit jeans and keep my valuables in my front pockets. To this day I've never personally had an issue (even though I've been with a group who've been targeted by pickpockets).

A few times I've intended to go out wearing looser fit beach-like shorts with more open pockets. But ended up vetoing it simply because I felt it would be too easy for pickpockets.

To be honest I had quite baggy Levi cargo shorts on with quite a few pockets but I always put the phone in the buttoned pocket but looking at them a decent pickpocket who is small and unnoticeable standing next to me while i'm ordering a drink could unbutton it and steal it while i'm drunk. I'm 6.3 too so it probably puts my shorts at a nice height for a female pickpocket to put her hand in. If you're the same height as the pickpocketer it would be easier to notice them but when you're a lot taller you would definitely be an easier target.
I think the girl in Murphys who had her hand near my pocket when I was about to order a drink was definitely trying to pickpocket me, she dropped something on the floor when I looked down and saw her hand there, maybe this was to pretend she was chucking rubbish on the floor. I think as soon I was more distracted or speaking to the barman she would of tried to pickpocket me.

Lesson learnt this time though, If I ever go back to Ibiza I will never bring my phone out at night ever again.

Last edited:
For all the reasons above on holiday and at a festival are the only time I will wear a 'manbag', can put everything in and close it. Most of my shorts don't have suitable pockets for a phone and wallet and are definitely easy to pickpocket so for peace of mind I prefer everything in a bag

I know they don't look great and I know lots of people do take the piss out of them but tbh if I can have my phone, wallet, goodies and others bits all zipped up in one bag that is over my shoulder and across my body I can enjoy my night an awful lot more than having to keep checking I have everything.

If I don't have the bag I'm constantly holding my phone and on edge someone may try to take it or wallet so personally I'm happy to looking abit of a knob if it means I keep all my things and enjoy my night

One of the fat ones managed to get a bracelet on me once. I was a bit slow that day for some reason. Lucky for me a couple of police turned up on mopeds and they all scattered and I just wondered off. Bracelet in the first bin I came to so people wouldn't see what a mug I was.

Another time I was surrounded in the street by a gang of girls being 'friendly'. Difficult to keep your hands in your pockets when that happens. After I got away, noticed a 50 euro note missing from my pocket. Still had some cash in another pocket though so was able to carry on with my night for a bit. Was thankful I never take a phone or wallet when I go out and split money between pockets.

Wish jeans had inside pockets. That would solve a lot of problems too many people have experienced. Every time you go to the toilet you could just take another couple of notes out and keep the rest safe.

I nearly got caught with the bracelet woman last week went to shake my hand say hello where are from etc she had the bracelet on my wrist about to tighten it when I grabbed it and threw it at her and told her to f**k off. The same woman tried the same method two nights in a row but I just walked straight past them nights, then shouts at you why you not shake my hand. Nothing worse than to save up your hard earned money all year to go to Ibiza for some thieving c*** to leave you out of pocket maybe leaving you broke or short of money for the rest of your holiday! I usually only take out enough money for that night and leave the rest in the hotel safe

I almost got stung by the wristband bitches a few years ago... They had it on my wrist and then asked for 5e for it, so i took it off again and walked off!! The next day she tried it again, but i told her to fcuk off and have never had bother since!! I'm the kind of person who is easy enough to recognise and i genuinely believe that they've remembered me all this time and just stay away now...

Seeing as i didn't end up getting ripped off, can anyone tell me how they actually rob you?? Is it just that they charge you for the wristband or does someone rob you when you too busy looking at this amazing wristband?!?! :confused:

I almost got stung by the wristband bitches a few years ago... They had it on my wrist and then asked for 5e for it, so i took it off again and walked off!! The next day she tried it again, but i told her to fcuk off and have never had bother since!! I'm the kind of person who is easy enough to recognise and i genuinely believe that they've remembered me all this time and just stay away now...

Seeing as i didn't end up getting ripped off, can anyone tell me how they actually rob you?? Is it just that they charge you for the wristband or does someone rob you when you too busy looking at this amazing wristband?!?! :confused:
I've not had it done but I presume they just hassle you, increasing it to mild aggression before you give in. I think most went to the School of Rat Nest Mithering.
There was a program on last night on itv about holiday scams which I caught the tale end of. Showed pick pockets and the bracelet.

Back