This years music

I disagree - there is nothing wrong with the standard of tunage out there - there's plenty around - perhaps it is the standard of djs that are picking these crap crowdpleaser tunes!

2 rite JoG! Some of these Dj's choose to play these overplayed tunes i think b/c they think that is what the crowd wants to hear. Take David Guetta, he's always been a fave of mine, but now I'm not so sure. I keep thinking to myself "Gawd David, play some tunes we DON'T know for god's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!". I feel like he's completely sold out. But again, they'll always be a crowd/market for that. :rolleyes:

Not impressed here either - Monza closing was a shadow of the opening - just pure boring doomfulness.

*yawn*

Space rocked as ever but it always does because of the sheer variety on offer (Guetta excluded of course tho it was amusing).

DC10 was just amazing...Music was all over the place - they even went a bit housey for a while and it was just sublime - stuff I've never heard before - can only guess they were obscure b sides from 92 archives or something. Very clever stuff.

Basically - anyone who comes on here ranting about DC10 being rubbish is a freak. :lol:

Nothing more to say on the subject.

agree totally about the lack of originality at the moment. For me the house scene is on its arse at the moment, its shocking. Anyone who cannot see this is kidding themselves.

Minimal is the in thing right now, and to put it bluntly, its ****ing dire! its boring, its easy to produce and make and the person who mentioned music going digital is 100% correct in that being the reason why it is flooding the scene at the moment.

Ive never been to Ibiza before and not remembered a single track that was even remotely good, let alone top notch or to be described as an "anthem"

what happened to the classics? The producers are still out there making them, but all we are hearing are remixes from the axwells of this world of old tunes. They've even remixed DJ Gregory's classic "Elle" now and appear to be trying to make it electro!
It was deep house for ****s sake! leave it alone!

Did anyone else come away this year feeling just a tiny bit uninspired by the music?

Every electro track is using one of about 5 different sounds.

7 hours of minimal is not a party - its like everyone is dancing with headphones on.

The "Big" tune this year had an accordion, and 3 tubs of marmite, in it for pete's sake?!

Jorgensen was my top track of the year i guess.

One hopes that someone will roll up this winter, smash minimal into electro and produce some deep, terrific thing which sounds like a bunch of machines making love and war whilst drinking a vodka limon.

Hopefully a deep house maestro will do us all proud. Come on Ralph Lawson, it's yours for the taking mate.

have you checked out dc10's romanian residents?

what happened to the classics? The producers are still out there making them, but all we are hearing are remixes from the axwells of this world of old tunes. They've even remixed DJ Gregory's classic "Elle" now and appear to be trying to make it electro!

i agree there has been little in the way of cheesy anthems, the kind i don't normally admit to liking but enjoy dancing to at bora bora etc. This is kinda the reason why i didnt even go down once. All i could hear through my open window (spitting distance from the front door at Bora Bora) was Samim, RHCP remixes and some GOD AWFUL rework of Bob Sinclar's Feel For You).

While I've been steadily going off Ame's productions of late, I dont think you could accuse them of trying to make Elle electro. I think they would be deeply insulted to read that!

As for all this minimal-bashing. The majority of people bashing minimal arent giving the djs and venues bracketed into this a chance. Its not just pots and pans being banged together. House, in a deep/bleepy/techy kinda way is in great shape just now. Check out Luciano, Pedro/Raresh/Rhadoo if you haven't done so already.

While the commercial anthemic side of things might be a tad flat this year, it certainly has not been a bad year for house music at all.

agree totally about the lack of originality at the moment. For me the house scene is on its arse at the moment, its shocking. Anyone who cannot see this is kidding themselves.

Minimal is the in thing right now, and to put it bluntly, its ****ing dire! its boring, its easy to produce and make and the person who mentioned music going digital is 100% correct in that being the reason why it is flooding the scene at the moment.

Ive never been to Ibiza before and not remembered a single track that was even remotely good, let alone top notch or to be described as an "anthem"

Personally agree and disagree

When I listen to minimal I dont listen for an individual tune that I recognise but listen to a minimal set as 2hour piece hopefully taking you on some sort of journey with a conclusion. Having said that I can understand that too much minimal can get boring and not sure if this is the right comparison to make but maybe its going the way of the Prog scene a few yrs back and getting a tad self indulgent.

Away from minimal etc im a sucker for some cheesy anthems which were definatley lacking this year and contributed to Borra Borra being a little flatter than usual (along with no dancing on tables and Spiderman losing his mojo)

So whilst I think dance music is still in rude health there are elements that make me think that 05/06 may have been a bit of a peak but then again Richie Hawtin at cocoon was the best set ive ever heard and the electro played at la troya should be the type of music that played out in clubs more regularly - didnt recognise a single tune but was simply awesome!

blimey, opened a right can of worms here.

Just thought that across the board there was an absence of quality tracks, the ones that are anthems (not in the sing-song, played on the radio sense) because they are very very good examples of this music we cherish.

body language? rej?

blimey, opened a right can of worms here.

Just thought that across the board there was an absence of quality tracks, the ones that are anthems (not in the sing-song, played on the radio sense) because they are very very good examples of this music we cherish.

body language? rej?

yeah i agreed with you!

all im saying is, to say its been a poor year for music as some have, is a tad short sighted.

Well said Toms - in a nutshell 8)

Minimal has its place... but not all the time!!! I like some minimal, but it is everywhere. i hope people get bored.. I need something with a dark, tough beat..:twisted:

It was so nice to hear some 'proper' techno from Varela this year at Carl cox... so nice. I thought i'd never hear it again. i never remember the names of tracks, so I probably wouldn't remember any of them anyway.

I agree with people who say it's not been as good as other years.
Not too many tracks i think they'll play in years to come.

I've actually uncovered some gems since I've been back from recordings I made on my phone. Look aout for them in my review 8)

Did anyone else come away this year feeling just a tiny bit uninspired by the music?

One hopes that someone will roll up this winter, smash minimal into electro and produce some deep, terrific thing which sounds like a bunch of machines making love and war whilst drinking a vodka limon.

You need to jump on the Psy Trance stuff mate. Has really got me going again after the boredom of the last few years. Very twisted, hard in places and comical in others. Most of all it's a change from the old routine.

Minimal has its place... but not all the time!!! I like some minimal, but it is everywhere. i hope people get bored.. I need something with a dark, tough beat..:twisted:

You should listen to the Psy Trance stuff also. Don't be put off by the name

was at the Glade festival which has a massive psy trance lineup , had never heard it before but to me it sounded like prog/deep house

was at the Glade festival which has a massive psy trance lineup , had never heard it before but to me it sounded like prog/deep house

I think most people stick to what they know and don't give other genre's a chance.

Not sure about the prog/deep thing as my mix is a fair bit faster. Glade seems to embrace all electronic music.

Heres a mix I made a few weeks back.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LCEYRZ8M (instant download)

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I went twice this year and found music for my tastes; both times with tunes I had never heard before. The DJ/crowd makes the difference for me when everyone is feeling the music and going for it all you can do is smile and feel the vibe.

Back