Thierry (Disgrace) Henri

In the overall contex of the qualifing group.......Yes.

In the Playoff with France ......No. Ireland left their chance in Dublin and although the better team in Paris it was too much to claw back an away goal and not scoring at home.

No Midfield.

Only 2 strikers (Keane and Doyle)

The only world class players are Given, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane at a push.

And play in a style not to loose....... It would have been the usual story watching them grind out a draw or 1-0 victory untill they were knocked out in the last 16.

France are a better team and although I would love to have seen Ireland at a world cup tournament, this was not their time. France are recent World Cup Champions and deserve a lucky break.

Trapatoni has done a great job and Euro 2012 is a more realistic objective.

In the Playoff with France ......No. Ireland left their chance in Dublin and although the better team in Paris it was too much to claw back an away goal and not scoring at home.

No Midfield.

The only world class players are Given, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane at a push.

And play in a style not to loose....... It would have been the usual story watching them grind out a draw or 1-0 victory untill they were knocked out in the last 16.

France are a better team and although I would love to have seen Ireland at a world cup tournament, this was not their time. France are recent World Cup Champions and deserve a lucky break.

You can't imagine for us,french football fans, what is to have Domenech like manager.Our team is playing shiit sice 4 years now...Honestly without Lloris,our great goalkepper,Ireland would be in South Africa with or without Henry'hand.
I'm happy to see my team in world cup again,but i'm not proud of the way we go.For sure ,if we'll play in south africa like we did at the last euro,we will be ridiculous again.

Lloris was outstanding in both legs.Gallas and Anelka played well also.

I know the French feel bad about it especially the way Ireland played with guts and passion, but thats Football.

Ireland wanted it more but they lacked a midfield, Doyle was off form and poor Duff cant finish anymore. His runs down the wings were magic and his cross to old friend Robbie Keane to create the goal was great football.

Maybe the French will grant a Replay???

Henry Calls For Replay

Maybe the guy isnt that bad afterall.

Thierry Henry says Replay would be the "Fairest Solution"

Henry admits replay would be fair

_46756856_thierryhenry282.jpg
Henry prevented the ball going out of play with his hand

Under-fire France striker Thierry Henry believes a replay of the World Cup play-off with the Republic of Ireland would "be the fairest solution".
The Republic appealed to have the match replayed after an Henry handball helped France to a 2-1 aggregate victory.
But their plea was rejected by Fifa, while the French Football Federation (FFF) will not advocate a rematch.
Henry said: "Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control."
Irish skipper Robbie Keane welcomed Henry's comments and called on the FFF to agree to a rematch.
Keane said: "On behalf of the Republic of Ireland players, I would like to thank Thierry Henry for his statement this afternoon that in his opinion a replay would be the fairest option.
"As captain of the French team, to make such a statement took courage and honour, and all of us recognise that.
"As captain of the Republic of Ireland team, I would also be happy for a replay to happen in the interest of fair play so that whichever team qualifies, can do so with their heads held high.

"We can only hope that the French Football Federation might accept the wishes of both captains in the best interests of the game."
With the tie finely poised at 1-1 in the first half of extra-time, Barcelona striker Henry twice handled a long ball into the area before squaring for William Gallas to bundle home the eventual winner.
The incident has attracted mass news coverage across Europe, but Henry - who admitted the handball immediately after the match - waited until Friday before releasing a statement.
"Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa," said the 32-year-old.
"There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalising goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish."

Lineker: 'Henry tainted like Maradona'

And the former Arsenal forward insisted he was not a "cheat", claiming his handling of the ball was "instinctive".
"I have said at the time and I will say again that yes I handled the ball. I am not a cheat and never have been. It was an instinctive reaction to a ball that was coming extremely fast in a crowded penalty area," he said.
"As a footballer you do not have the luxury of the television to slow the pace of the ball down 100 times to be able to make a conscious decision. People are viewing a slow motion version of what happened and not what I or any other footballer faces in the game.
"If people look at it in full speed you will see that it was an instinctive reaction.

"It is impossible to be anything other than that. I have never denied that the ball was controlled with my hand. I told the Irish players, the referee and the media this after the game."
Henry's former manager Arsene Wenger echoed the frontman's thoughts, adding that the incident furthered the case for video technology to be used in future.
"Football accepts that a billion people see it, one guy doesn't see it, and yet it is the one who prevails. It cannot work," said the Gunners boss.
"At the game, I saw the referee giving a goal knowing that something was wrong and that is really sad.

"In the end, he gave a goal already knowing that it wasn't a goal. We cannot accept that in our sport and you have to do something about it. The referee didn't see it, I can understand that, the linesman didn't see it, but they couldn't get any help.
"For the sense of justice it is quite embarrassing to see. I think even France is embarrassed. We didn't play well at all and we won the game and won the qualification with a goal that was not a goal."
And Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson also advocated the use of video technology to resolve such issues.
o.gif

"The stance is that Fifa prefers human decision-making rather than technology decision-making and until they change their mind there is nothing you can do about it - you have to convince them, nobody else," said the Scot.
"It is not a matter of asking every player and manager in the world their opinion because they will all share the same one, as I do myself, that technology can play a part and can help referees in a situation like the other night."

No Midfield.

You bring up some good points about us playing at home, but I do think that over the two legs, we were the better team. At home we were unlikely with the deflected OG... call me bias, but Anelka's shot was by no means heading for the back of the net.

France, although they are a great side, have been very poor recently in my opinion (no offense intended at all) and thats why I think we should be in South Africa.

A quote from Henry: "Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa."

Credit due to him... took a lot of balls to say what he did about a replay. I just hope FIFA don't ignore.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
You bring up some good points about us playing at home, but I do think that over the two legs, we were the better team. At home we were unlikely with the deflected OG... call me bias, but Anelka's shot was by no means heading for the back of the net.

France, although they are a great side, have been very poor recently in my opinion (no offense intended at all) and thats why I think we should be in South Africa.

A quote from Henry: "Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa."

Credit due to him... took a lot of balls to say what he did about a replay. I just hope FIFA don't ignore.

J

Yes it was a fluke goal by Anelka.

But Ireland sat too deep in that match and let France come at them. Plus a great save by the French Goalkeeper at the end.

They were the better team in Paris when they attacked.

The French are a proud people and they do not want to win like this. You have to admire them for that. This is what is keeping the idea of a replay "alive".

Pressure continues to grow but the money men and big business will not want a replay and they usually always get their way.

The French are a proud people and they do not want to win like this. You have to admire them for that. This is what is keeping the idea of a replay "alive".

Pressure continues to grow but the money men and big business will not want a replay and they usually always get their way.

I agree with you. Personally and obviously I would love a replay... I think it is the only way to make this fair, BUT, the chances of this actually happening are slim to none.

FIFA really do love to put their foot down and what they say goes. I find it complete hypocrisy though with all of this fair play bollocks that they talk about and here is a example of unfairness that they are turning a blind eye to.

Personally I find them the real cheats.

J

No chance of a replay unless France would agree which was never going to happen.

You can take the boy out of Arsenal........

Not fussed anyway taken plenty stick from my Irish lot about the hand of god so swings and roundabouts.

Video technology would ruin football. It would give us nothing to moan about after every game. Football is simple and leave it that way.

The way to stop cheating is to ban the offenders. Ban old Terry Henry from the actual world cup that would soon put a stop to others doing it. It may not help the Irish but at least FIFA would be seen to be something.

Anyway get your money on Terry Henry to win golden boot now next summer.

J
of course he waited until FIFA came out with their statement before saying that...

I think Henry can't do anymore. The speed things move at that level, it might well have been instinctive. Is he expected to turn round and ask the ref to disallow it and be hated in his own country? If he endorses a replay before FIFA declare it's not happening and France that game, he'd be slated at home forever.

In the unlikely event FIFA allowed a replay, there'd be a million games needing replaying.

I think Henry can't do anymore. The speed things move at that level, it might well have been instinctive. Is he expected to turn round and ask the ref to disallow it and be hated in his own country? If he endorses a replay before FIFA declare it's not happening and France that game, he'd be slated at home forever.

In the unlikely event FIFA allowed a replay, there'd be a million games needing replaying.

What Buckers said.

Fifa will never interfere, and I don't think they should. It would set a precendent which could never be maintained.

I'm just wondering what sort of suspension they will mete out on the players who have screamed fix????

2-3 match ban with 1-2 suspended is the going rate is it not

Just watched the interview with Keano , absolutely classic! When the reporters phone goes off , hahahahahaha!:):):):):) No sympathy frm hm at all , propper lays into Ireland almost as if he hates his own football team! Brilliant!

Just watched the interview with Keano , absolutely classic! When the reporters phone goes off , hahahahahaha!:):):):):) No sympathy frm hm at all , propper lays into Ireland almost as if he hates his own football team! Brilliant!

He hates the FAI the incompetent amateurs that run Irish football. Thats why he walked out in Saipan.

Not the team

He hates the FAI the incompetent amateurs that run Irish football. Thats why he walked out in Saipan.

Not the team
Seems to be a running theme. Stephen Ireland also slammed the FAI recently. Shame for them because he's a good player.

foul

I think a ban should be given for the hand ball. IMO yellow cards should be given for diving, hand balls and simulation. That would clean up the game, cheating is cheating.

Well at least Henry will never be allowed to visit America :lol:

Justice served!

I wonder how Jonny68 has been coping with the outrage?

Back