The Passion of Christ

Buckley said:
Dr Mick said:
Faith is beautiful.

Care to elaborate good Doc?

I grew up in a very religious household but Christianity never grabbed me in those formative years when girls and drinking held a lot more appeal.

But then one day quite recently it just clicked that there's something very pure about belief. When you feel you know something you just do, like you know the sun rises in the morning and sets at night.

For some reason that translates well to aesthetic appreciation - churches, mosques, synagogues, temples of evey description. IMO, obviously.

For a long time all art in the western tradition was religious art.

Dr Mick said:
I grew up in a very religious household but Christianity never grabbed me in those formative years when girls and drinking held a lot more appeal.

But then one day quite recently it just clicked that there's something very pure about belief. When you feel you know something you just do, like you know the sun rises in the morning and sets at night.

For some reason that translates well to aesthetic appreciation - churches, mosques, synagogues, temples of evey description. IMO, obviously.

For a long time all art in the western tradition was religious art.

So true! I liked that lots! ;) 8) :D

It always makes me smile when i read threads like this. I am an RC and am perfectly happy for people to believe what ever they like. But one thing that annoys me is that catholicism seems to be an easy target for everyone to have a go at, especially the press. If the same things that have been said in the recent past about catholicism had been said about islam or the jewish faith then there would have been a public outcry.

One things for sure, any time a "non-believer" is facing a crisis or is caught up in the middle of a disaster u can be sure they'll be praying to someone.
As Billy Connolly said " Im a catholic when the lights go out".

Marts said:
It always makes me smile when i read threads like this. I am an RC and am perfectly happy for people to believe what ever they like. But one thing that annoys me is that catholicism seems to be an easy target for everyone to have a go at, especially the press. If the same things that have been said in the recent past about catholicism had been said about islam or the jewish faith then there would have been a public outcry.
Not true.. it's like when blacks call each other ni**ers. You're allowed to bash your own religion, but other people aren't. :lol:

i watched that last nite....it was horrid...i dt particularly belive made me cry thou!at the end wen hes beaten n nailed to the cross shockin stuff

grego said:
sil you are exactly correct but unfortunately many christians (catholics especially) do not realise this. to them the word of god is as written in the bible and is on a rational level - for them Jesus existed and performed these miracles and the evidence is the bible.

i agree with you that religion is something beyond the rational and consequently this makes it a matter of opinions. No one can prove if God exists or not. No one can prove whether Jesus was resurrected on the third day. Therefore, I respect it when people have their own belief in this truth (??) but sadly, most believers are incapable of respecting the opinions of other non-believers (mainly as their task is always to try and seek converts to the religion).

interestingly, most believers do not attempt to convert people who believe in other religions. for example, most Christians, Jews and Muslims (3 abrahamic religions) for the most part respect that their faith/religion is different and leave it as that, like "this is what i believe, that is what you believe - fine". this is problematic because all those 3 religions directly contradict each other and in fact supersede each other.

Grego, when I talk about the religion thing I mean the real faith, not the faith of those ones who grew up in a catholic environoment and never asked themselves why they belive.

I don't belive at all, my family is catholic and I went to a catholic school, but I don't really mind coming from that background, my parents and that school were quite progressist and it was fine. I've seen people who really have faith surviving big tragedies thanks to faith (my aunt when my cousin died, for example) and we don't have to forget the hundreds and hundreds of people working in social help cos their faith.

I don't share but I do respect them, I don't try to understand why do they belive, as I hope nobody triest to understand my very intimate and personal reasons to not belive, and actually at some point I think you are lucky if you belive, cos there's some questions that are solved automatically :D

There's just as much probability that God does exist as there is that "he" doesn't.

Until it starts affecting me, or I have any sort of control over it, I really couldn't give a f*ck.

x-amount said:
There's just as much probability that God does exist as there is that "he" doesn't.

Until it starts affecting me, or I have any sort of control over it, I really couldn't give a f*ck.

Wise philosophy ;)

Marts said:
One things for sure, any time a "non-believer" is facing a crisis or is caught up in the middle of a disaster u can be sure they'll be praying to someone.

Not me sir. They may or may not be a creator but if there is I can't know if he's benevolent.

I'm really not having a go. I'm very interested though. I'm a non-believer in as much as I don't see any reason to believe any of the 'truths' available. I'm not an expert in any religion, despite being brought up as a Catholic, but I little I know suggests that most of them involve faith in something that cannot be proven, and that they contradict each other.

The 'logic' most people use to explain their belief can be applied equally to 'prove' things they don't believe or even contradict what they do believe.

Dr Mick said:

But when millions of people 'just know' one explanation and other millions 'just know' a contradictory explanation, someone's kidding themselves or bluffing everyone else, surely?

Buckley said:
Marts said:

Not me sir. They may or may not be a creator but if there is I can't know if he's benevolent.

I'm really not having a go. I'm very interested though. I'm a non-believer in as much as I don't see any reason to believe any of the 'truths' available. I'm not an expert in any religion, despite being brought up as a Catholic, but I little I know suggests that most of them involve faith in something that cannot be proven, and that they contradict each other.

The 'logic' most people use to explain their belief can be applied equally to 'prove' things they don't believe or even contradict what they do believe.

Buckley I think you didn't get Marts point, if I'm not wrong he didn't talked about a creator, he just said: pray to someone. And I would add "or someting".

You fail in the same mistake again: there's no logic to understand faith, and there's no need to be proven cos that's the religious experience: you belive and you have faith in something it can't be proven ;)

silvia said:
Buckley said:
Marts said:

Buckley I think you didn't get Marts point, if I'm not wrong he didn't talked about a creator, he just said: pray to someone. And I would add "or someting".

You fail in the same mistake again: there's no logic to understand faith, and there's no need to be proven cos that's the religious experience: you belive and you have faith in something it can't be proven ;)

Think I got it first time out Sil. ;)

But why would I pray to someone or something that may or may not be there and if even if it/he/she is may be completely indifferent to my prayers?

I say believe in yourself. It's about the only thing you've got some control over.

Frankie says:
We're rats
In a cage
suicide
or go-go

Buckley said:

But why would I pray to someone or something that may or may not be there and if even if it/he/she is may be completely indifferent to my prayers?

In my opinionn it's a kind of instintive reaction. Some people canalise (¿?) anxiety their thoughts or hopes praying to god and some others like me canalise our anxiety throwing those thoughts and hopes to the air (if does make sense) :D

silvia said:
Buckley said:

In my opinionn it's a kind of instintive reaction. Some people canalise (¿?) anxiety their thoughts or hopes praying to god and some others like me canalise our anxiety throwing those thoughts and hopes to the air (if does make sense) :D
Some people channel those thoughts or hopes by talking to themselves.

Some see this a sign of insanity. I consider it praying to a higher power 8)

Buckley said:
silvia said:
Buckley said:
Marts said:

Do you pray to Roger Sanchez?

Marts said:
"Im a catholic when the lights go out".

...but that quote is taking the pi$$ out of religion as a whole!

People may well pray when sh!t hits the fan but having faith doesn't need to be specific to a pre written text or definition.
I find it disturbing when people use religion before themselves when saying how they feel about things. ie - "I'm Robder so therefore..." is being much more true to myself than, "I'm a Christian (or insert appropriate religion here) so Robder should think..."

...If I took everything that the Pope said as gospel then I'd never practice homosexuality and would renounce the use of condoms! :rolleyes:
This is something that happens in every tradition - not just catholicism so I'm not bashing your religion here. I've even seen this dynamic played out in yoga circles in the Ashrams of Mysore. When identifying with a text before yourself, you always come across inconsistencies.

Pleeeeeeeeease don't take this as a personal insult, I'm simply stating the other side of the argument.
;)

Religion or faith should be about your own truth...essence rather than form (or a book).

Back