The Olympics

For someone who's sporting life revolves around hockey, hockey, hockey and more hockey, I might be a tad interested in the hockey.

Unfortunately I'll be missing the games of the middle weekend - due to taking part in a, er, hockey festival 8)

Also interested in the (proper) volleyball, cycling and I'll have a look at archery as a "new" sport to me.

But can't wait for 2014 Socchi winter games curling competition!! Thank heavens for Eurosport and Laola1 that cover hockey, volleyball and curling away from the Olympics as they are rarely touched by TV in the UK, pay or FTA :evil:

Crikey Howard, I always thought you were a bloke, love! :lol:;)

Basketball, tennis, Handball, football, athletics, cycling (road races).. will be watching these... the rest i can give or take but i'll end up watching them all i think.

If you're into basketball the US are bringing quite a strong team over. Not sure any of the europeans can beat them but Spain, Russia and Lithuania will definitely give them a game. Argentina arent bad either

Rhythmic gymnastics is pretty amazing.. some of the **** the girls can do with the props is unbelievable

Last edited by a moderator:
The props being ping pong balls and such like?

:lol:

I knew that would be taken the wrong way, I'm actually being 100% serious!

Tonight on ESPN USA v Spain live from Barcelona. final warm-up game before Olympics. Replay of the 2008 Final in China, could be the final again this year

If you're into basketball the US are bringing quite a strong team over. Not sure any of the europeans can beat them but Spain, Russia and Lithuania will definitely give them a game. Argentina arent bad either

I agree man, even though the U.S team doesn't have Bosh or Howard they are still gonna be hard to see past. They switched off slightly in the warm up against Argentina. The warm up against GB was over the end of the 1st quarter.

Spain with Calderone and the Gasol brothers will likely see them in the final but it should be a formality already.

I agree man, even though the U.S team doesn't have Bosh or Howard they are still gonna be hard to see past. They switched off slightly in the warm up against Argentina. The warm up against GB was over the end of the 1st quarter.

Spain with Calderone and the Gasol brothers will likely see them in the final but it should be a formality already.

If Spain and the USA make it to the finals, I think it will be a good game. The world championships came down to the last minutes. The USA are short of big men which could mean trouble. I still pick the USA to win the gold and Silver to the Spanish.;)

Applied for a load of tickets and only got boxing tickets for this Saturday night, not unhappy though cos I'm Irish and 2 Irish lads have bouts that night.
Love the athletics and most of the other sports and love the competition and the fact you are watching history unfold.
But what i cant stand is the whole corporate side to it - McDonalds are the official food vendor, how can that be ethical, let alone healthy? Also been told that living in London, it will be great for London - but we have paid hand over fist for the last 8 years and we'll never see any of that money back and on top, we're told that our lives will be disrupted for 2 weeks. Plus the whole shambles with security etc.
Have noticed loads of people with official badges walking round the last few days. It will be a bit special in mnay ways, but hate the corporate side of it.

:lol:

Looks like only you lol

I won't have time with all these new arrivals on my doorstep. I'm going to be Grinding all over the olympic village. :lol:

Olympic Athletes Crash Grindr
When gay Olympic athletes arrived in London this weekend, they got themselves settled, took a look around the Olympic village—and some promptly signed into Grindr, hoping to find either a nearby athlete or a local to hook up with. The gay dating app—which locates other users in close proximity—was so overwhelmed, it crashed within the first few minutes athletes landed in London. Luckily for everyone dependent on Grindr for their “day-to-day personal life”—including its founder, Joel Simkhai, who said he felt “disconnected” during the outage—the app was up and running after 24 hours. “Our tech team worked around the clock to solve the problems and to whip Grindr back into shape,” Simkhai said. Thank God!

I seem to get less interested in the Olympics the older I get, I used to love watching it when I was a kid (but then I had a lot more time then). I'll probably watch it on and off when I can when I'm not doing other stuff I'd rather be doing. The sponsorship thing annoys me too, Mcdonalds and Coke sponsoring the biggest sporting event in the world is a laugh in itself - and the militant way they crack down on anyone they reckon are infringing on advertising rights etc. I read something recently the "knitting olympics" had been sent angry cease and desist letters by the American OC.

Re: banning drugs cheats, I completely agree, however I'd actually like to see an alternative version of the Olympics where its positively encouraged and you have thousands of freakish brutes battling it out.

Still not getting why the lukewarm interest when everyone bangs on endlessly about these yawnsome football tournaments.

I think it's bloody exciting!

(brands, tubes and terrorism threats excluded)

one cellmate to another;

Cellmate1: "What you get nicked for?"

Cellmate2: "I was searched and they found three in my pocket"

Cellmate1: "Kilos or grams, coke, heroin, crack, what they find?"

Cellmate2: "One tuna mayo, a blt and a cheese ploughmans"

Back