The Olympics

mashednlovingit

Found this on another forum. Which are you?

5 days until the opening ceremony. What kind of Olympic follower are you?

1. You hate the hype and fail to see what the fuss is about these minority sports. You might watch the football and some athletics, and that's about it.

2. You're pretty excited about it, but only about a limited range of sports which you'll follow closely, whilst ignoring the rest.

3. You're looking forward to seeing some sports that you rarely get to watch, and will watch anything, within reason, especially if there's a chance that we might pick up a medal.

4. You can't wait, will watch as much of everything as you can, and are reconciled to the fact that you'll probably fall asleep every night watching highlights of the badminton. And then be up at dawn to watch a preview of the day's equestrian events.

I'm an unashamed category 4 :)

5. Love the collective spirit of an event with such magnitude and having the eyes of the world on your city. What's not to love about the sport? HATE HATE HATE the brand sponsorship, Maccy D's (WHY do people eat there?), lack of consideration for local communities, £££ and Boris Friggin' Johnson doing announcements on the tube.

I guess it's like a microcosm of life though ain't it? You take the bits you like and ignore the rest or wind up disappointed.

I also don't feel particularly safe being so close to something so huge during shaky global socio-economic shifts.

I am definately going for number 1 although i cant agree with the last bit of it....

I think i am more of this option because i will soon have road closures near me which is gona be a right b*tch and im sure will cause heightened road rage :spank:

Try to watch as much as possible, more so the athlectics events. Tempted to buy tickets for a few of the football games at Old Trafford as it's on my doorstep and to be fair the Brazil team looks for an olympic team.

Some stuff like archery and field hockey I'm not too bothered about but will watch if there's nothing else on tv.

im none of them.

i like the fact that people from around the world will compete againest each other but i think its an absolute joke that a country in such a state is hosting it.

i wont be supporting the olympics this year what so ever.

I love my sport but the vast majority of the sports I love either aren't represented or, in the case of football, it's not the pinnacle of achievement in that sport.

I remember watching small amounts of the Sydney Olympics. Can barely remember the Athens games. Didn't pay much attention when it was in Beijing. So I'm not going to be miraculously turned on by this one just because it's in London. I'm not that fickle.

People keep telling me it's the greatest sporting 'event' in the world. In terms of entertainment give me a football (or god forbid a rugby) World Cup, a Wimbledon, a golfing Major or an Ashes series any day of the week.

Kudos to the athletes though. Takes an inhuman amount of dedication in some cases. They could teach those pampered footballers a thing or two.

What Robder said (with regards to all the corporate silliness, etc), except I can't stand the sport element either. :lol: I'd also add there's something creepy in all the military stuff, missiles on rooftops, etc, like some dystopian vision of the future. :eek: I've never understood the excitement in watching other people play sport (even now I've started enjoying exercise myself). Can't wait till it's over and I can stop hearing about it. :lol:

5. Love the collective spirit of an event with such magnitude and having the eyes of the world on your city. What's not to love about the sport? HATE HATE HATE the brand sponsorship, Maccy D's (WHY do people eat there?), lack of consideration for local communities, £££ and Boris Friggin' Johnson doing announcements on the tube.

I guess it's like a microcosm of life though ain't it? You take the bits you like and ignore the rest or wind up disappointed.

I also don't feel particularly safe being so close to something so huge during shaky global socio-economic shifts.

Yup, deffo a 5 for me.

The time is right for an alternative Olympics where drug cheats are not welcome and the corporate shyte is killed off. There are hundreds of good sports facilities around the country for staging an alternative games:D

I will watch loads of the Olympics, we have around the clock coverage and you can watch online = not much work getting done.

As someone who finds football tournaments, drinking binges and Neanderthal thuggery terminally dull...I'm genuinely shocked to find that few are engaging with the sport element. :eek:

For someone who's sporting life revolves around hockey, hockey, hockey and more hockey, I might be a tad interested in the hockey.

Unfortunately I'll be missing the games of the middle weekend - due to taking part in a, er, hockey festival 8)

Also interested in the (proper) volleyball, cycling and I'll have a look at archery as a "new" sport to me.

But can't wait for 2014 Socchi winter games curling competition!! Thank heavens for Eurosport and Laola1 that cover hockey, volleyball and curling away from the Olympics as they are rarely touched by TV in the UK, pay or FTA :evil:

For someone who's sporting life revolves around hockey, hockey, hockey and more hockey, I might be a tad interested in the hockey.

Unfortunately I'll be missing the games of the middle weekend - due to taking part in a, er, hockey festival 8)

Also interested in the (proper) volleyball, cycling and I'll have a look at archery as a "new" sport to me.

But can't wait for 2014 Socchi winter games curling competition!! Thank heavens for Eurosport and Laola1 that cover hockey, volleyball and curling away from the Olympics as they are rarely touched by TV in the UK, pay or FTA :evil:

We have enjoyed watching hours of curling over the past few years, originally started watching as it looked comical. Once you get a brief understanding of the game it is really interesting to watch.

Back