The Footy....(2012-2013 season)

I'd be keen to find out why they got in this mess in the first place? Paying too higher wages? Buying players they can't afford? Like Portsmouth et al if you break the rules then you face the consequences. Sh'tter for the fans of course.

They built a new stadium but were promptly relegated, they then tried to buy their way out of trouble but couldn't and were relegated again, and then as a result of their financial situation were relegated yet again to the 4th tier. They are now in the 3rd, but the lower leagues are full of much smaller teams, usually bankrolled by the local construction magnate, but since housing/construction bubble went pop nobody can do this anymore. Oviedo aren't the only one in this predicament in Spain. Problem is Real and Barca do their own TV deals so very little of that money filters through to the rest of the country, and the money they make mostly goes on exorbitant wages, huge transfer fees abroad etc. Its quite shameful tbh.

Anyway, I bought 4 so am now eligible to cast a vote at the AGM!

Saw it announced earlier that due to share issue hitting 1.4m so far, and a slice of transfer fees for Juan Mata and Santi Cazorla having been received, imminent doom has been postponed. They need to find a buyer. Maybe the new worldwide fanbase might sway someone to step in.

I'd been keen to buy shares but I'd want reassurances that the money wasn't going to be squandered on high transfer fees and wages of which got them into this mess.

I'd been keen to buy shares but I'd want reassurances that the money wasn't going to be squandered on high transfer fees and wages of which got them into this mess.

Well, as far as I can tell, they've already been down this road before with a share issue, and then been burned by an unscrupulous owner (majority shareholder currently on the run from the cops) so I don't think they'll let it happen again. It'll be very much a case of living within their means from now on. And if you do decided to get a share or two, don't expect anything back. Its really a donation (except you get to say you're a part owner!). Minimum of 4 shares gets you a vote! I did it for the banter more than anything, but I have to say I've been swept up in it all and I can't wait to get out there to see them!

This page is good as it tracks how it all came about with updates etc. http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/sos-real-oviedo/

Here is an interview with Sid Lowe about it (who really got the ball rolling) - http://theinsideleft.com/real-oviedo-sos/

There was a good article yesterday in the New York Times about the viral aspect of it too - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/s...ave-real-oviedo-soccer-club-sweeps-globe.html

You can buy shares up until tomorrow evening I believe. The website to buy the shares is here http://www.realoviedo.es/yosoyelrealoviedo/ingles/index.html

Sold my QPR vs Southampton ticket so I could spend the weekend in bed, being ill. Which means I've managed to miss Southampton's only 2 victories this season, as I was in Ibiza when we beat Villa. Starting to think I should stay away, we might go and beat Newcastle next weekend if I'm not there.

There were alot of goals on the weekend. Arsenal score 5 which was great. I know it is just before the mid season break but mid table does not look good and winning the league is out of the question already me thinks.

There were alot of goals on the weekend. Arsenal score 5 which was great. I know it is just before the mid season break but mid table does not look good and winning the league is out of the question already me thinks.

No such thing as a mid season break here. We've got 4 games in 11 days over Xmas! I love that though, football really becomes a traditional part of Xmas. Will be getting up with a hangover on Boxing Day for Fulham away, and on New Years Day for Arsenal at home.

Champions League fun tonight. Big big match for Chelsea in Turin. Fingers crossed we play better than at West Brom!

I've got FC Barcelona staying in the hotel across the street from my office 8)

Champions League fun tonight. Big big match for Chelsea in Turin. Fingers crossed we play better than at West Brom!

I've got FC Barcelona staying in the hotel across the street from my office 8)
The Barca match was close at first, even if Sparta looked like they never had a chance. Who will the new Chelsea boss be?

Today I have decided I am done with football. Straw that broke the camel's back. Nothing of interest for me anymore. It's all just got too ridiculous from ego-manical trigger-happy owners, to overzealous obnoxious "super" fans to our **** national team and to the criminal media who have destroyed the game.

It is a joke of a sport in all honesty.

6885227808_4254d15ebd_o.gif

What does everyone think of the idea of possibly scrapping the Europe league?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405

The Europa League is shoite. It was much better when it was the UEFA Cup. Return it to that format and call it something else if you must.

One thing I am dead against is expanding the CL. They tried this before and it absolutely bombed! It's called the 'Champion's League' FFS, yet if they ditch the EL and expand the CL we're gonna have 5th place clubs and two-bob cup winners in it!

There is already too many rounds (if you include qualifying) and too many teams from only a handful of nations.

It's another example of how money has ruined the game.

Totally agree with the above.
Go back to the UEFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup or whatever but don't touch the CL :evil:

Didn't the champions league have a season or two of having two group stages? Go back to the old format of the european cup that would scare the sh*t out of a few people, no guaranteed 6 group games and no seeding.

Back