The Euros 2012

Yeah, not so sure I agree we NEED to play better. I'd like us too, obviously.

But we've already proved we can keep it tight at the back and ride out luck. Chelsea have already proved this year you can win major competition with negative tactics despite facing considerably more talented teams.

Don't get me wrong, I still think we'll struggle against the Italians. But getting a result is not out of the question.

As for the goal that never was, swings and roundabouts. Been 16 years since something like that has gone in our favour. And it was offside as well. If you're gonna bring the goal line technology debate into it, why not bring in technology across the whole field of play, in which case the offside would have been spotted too.

And Blatter - what an absolute canut that man is. Been dragging his heels on this technology for the best part of a decade, and since England have had a bad call in their favour it's taken him less than 12hrs to decide its now essential! What. An. Ass.

From watching the games its looked as tho we've been forcing opponents to shoot from long range quite alot which must mean we're doing something right defensively in the box

England have done what was required so far. Job done.

Defensively, England certainly look decent which is just playing to the manager's strengths as a coach. Liverpool proved during their UCL years under Rafa that success in tournament football comes from a solid defensive base. Chelsea showed that this year. So fair play to Hodgson on that one.

The real test starts now though. Of course, they could spring a few shocks, nick a 1-0 against a giant. You never know. But I would expect the likes of Spain, Germany and Portugal to have too much for England. Too much quality possession.

The Italians have looked better than most thought they would, but I think England are a worthy match for them. Could go either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong I was cheering for England to win. There was some moments when they looked fragile even playing negative, too much space and time on England left side. The competition will get stiffer that is all I'm saying.

Don't get me wrong I was cheering for England to win. There was some moments when they looked fragile even playing negative, too much space and time on England left side. The competition will get stiffer that is all I'm saying.

Agreed. For any England fan anything past the group stage is a massive bonus this time around. You have to be crazy to have thought we'd do even get out of the group before the tournament started. And I think this has helped us massively as the expectation has been so low. Probably the lowest since the 60s.

Btw Morbs, what is the feeling like in Russia atm - how have they taken their premature exit? Angry? Disappointed? Robbed?

I have to say, I think UEFA & FIFA need to take a look at this again for future tournaments. I can understand why they introduced the "results against same placed teams" ruling above goal difference, but I think its clear to see it has spectacularly back-fired on this occasion.

That rule was brought-in to encourage attacking football. But instead of an exciting Russian side full of flair, we have a dull, poor Greek side in the quarter finals who played beyond abysmal in their first 2 games.

The only benefit I can see from Greek progressing, is that we get a salivating tie against Germany - and I hope the Krauts give them a footballing masterclass.

I only saw about half the match last night but not particularly thrilling. :confused:
Spain still on track though...

I only saw about half the match last night but not particularly thrilling. :confused:
Spain still on track though...

Spain did look fragile, but they did win. I watched the whole match, it was just ok.

France 23 or so games unbeaten - manager gets linked to Spurs job then team proceeds to lose next two.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The French had chances and played better against Spain. I would blame the players versus the manager.

John Terry has assured disappointed England fans that their dreams of seeing him celebrating on the pitch after ther final will come true.

Apparently seen trying on a German kit yesterday:lol:

John Terry has assured disappointed England fans that their dreams of seeing him celebrating on the pitch after ther final will come true.

Apparently seen trying on a German kit yesterday:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I expect to see pictures after the final. I don't see Italy going past next match.

As I said in earlier post: For any England fan anything past the group stage is a massive bonus this time around.

The luck ran out. Never mind, a new domestic season awaits.

at least you still didnt lose any games in 90 mins in that tournament .....
defence was solid, a great young keeper who will be around for many more to come....Terry and lescott were immense thoughout as well.... if midfield to the front 2 could keep the ball; a bit better you might have got further..... but on paper and viewing the 4 best teams are still left in....

guys like wilshere getting back will improve your chances in the future....

role on the Scotland v England annual games again :D

Back