The Euros 2012

Found a nice posh hotel a five minute walk away, as no-where was selling beer, and drunk pinks of 'old russian' vodka, with small tumblers of cranberry juice with the son of a chielf police officer from st petersburg!
Hotel Sportivnaya... you call that posh? :lol: ;)

I was at that game, by the way. Sat with an English friend in the Russian end of the stadium (I told him to keep his mouth shut if England scored! :lol:). Near the beginning of the match, Micah Richards went racing down the right flank and one guy in front of us said something about stopping that "monkey" in his tracks. I tapped his shoulder and when he saw me he started apologizing profusely and insisting he wasn't racist :lol: That's the thing about racism here... it can be quite open, particularly around football, but not always malicious. There's just a lack of understanding. You've got a country with 100-odd ethnic groups, ethnic Russians chief among them, who centuries on haven't quite figured out where they all stand.

no brainer that russia will win tonight

howard webb isn't going to let a team in red lose is he??
:lol:

Just got back from the bar watching the match with friends. Great performance by Russia tonight! Since I haven't done this yet:

Like to win: Russia (because I like how they played tonight and I live here)
Least like to win: Russia (because people here will be unbearable if they do :lol:)
Likely to win: Holland or maybe Spain

Like to win Ireland
Think will win holland,
But as long as football wins guys......;)

Ps any1 heading out to Ibiza start of August? Looking 4 some fellow party goers.....

Hotel Sportivnaya... you call that posh? :lol: ;)

I was at that game, by the way. Sat with an English friend in the Russian end of the stadium (I told him to keep his mouth shut if England scored! :lol:). Near the beginning of the match, Micah Richards went racing down the right flank and one guy in front of us said something about stopping that "monkey" in his tracks. I tapped his shoulder and when he saw me he started apologizing profusely and insisting he wasn't racist :lol: That's the thing about racism here... it can be quite open, particularly around football, but not always malicious. There's just a lack of understanding. You've got a country with 100-odd ethnic groups, ethnic Russians chief among them, who centuries on haven't quite figured out where they all stand.

Compared to most of the dives i've stayed in watching football (and holidaying in general :cry:) it looked posh, did i mention we were drinking pints of vodka, I could have been in Piscis Park and thought it was posh! I slept on the floor of the cosmos, didn't even have a bed!

I slept on the floor of the cosmos, didn't even have a bed!
:lol:
Cosmos is not a horrible 3-star hotel, aside from being a little kitchy and not very central.
They've done a good job of marketing to budget Western travelers though, considering how expensive all the hotels in the center are!

Euro rage

What's with all the upset guys... I'm welsh born and Spanish bred. Consider myself a Celt. Love the scots and Irish. English do tend to get a bit of a pole up their ass very quickly, lighten up man.

Monkey chants have disrupted England's training session in Krakow today.

John Terry has been warned, if he does it again he'll be sent home.

Thought I'd start a thread on this... Racism etc aside who do you want to win and who do you think will win ?

Like to win - Ireland
Think will win - France

Are you serious?:lol:...Spain,Germany,Nederlands and Russia are better than us...We have an horrible defense,with this idiot of Evra...

You don't know many Englishmen then! :p

Were not looking for love all were asking for is for you to wind your necks in ;)

I've lived in England for over 20 years. My kids are half English, all my best friends are English and every girlfriend i've had in 20 years has been English but i still want them to lose every game. Most of my mates are exactly the same when it comes to Scotland and they love telling me we are crap. It's about not wanting your oldest and nearest rivals to win anything, it's about football banter and rivalry... do you think Arsenal or Spurs fans were cheering for Chelsea in the Champions League final? Do you think Man City fans cheer on Man Utd in the FA cup? The English media have been especially quiet this time but every major tournament since Italia 90 all that England have had to do is turn up to walk away with the trophy according to most of the country, so it's especially funny that they can't seem to find 6 players who can score from 12 yards when it matters out of the "golden generation" :D

I think it depends entirely on which Englishman/Scotman/Arsenal/Spurs supporter you talk too...

I for one would much rather see all the Home Nations involved in a major tournament and progress as far as they can, then just England or a couple involved. Of course, if it came down to England versus Scotland/Ireland/N. Ireland/Wales, then I'm gonna be desperate for an England win, and hope we win well.

But if you asked me who I'd rather see win Euro 2012 overall: Spain or Ireland, it will be Ireland everyday of the week.

I don't understand the logic of some Gooners cheering for Chelsea just in order to dump Spurs out of the CL next season. If that's your mantra - that you don't want your biggest local rivals playing in Europe's top flight next season - surely your next biggest London rivals winning the whole blimmin' thing kinda outweighs that, non?! :confused:

I was pleased it was an English team that won. Simple as that.

Having said all of the above, I am fully aware that there is centuries of social & economic factors as to why any Scot/Welshman/Irishman would not want England to succeed on the football pitch, but I'm not naive, & realise that it has little to do sport.

As an Irishman, while resentment and bitterness against Englishmen is in our DNA make up, the reality is different. A new generation is simply leaving all that hatred behind them and moving on. If truth were told we have more in common with our English neighbours than many would lead a person to believe.

An Ireland v's England quarter final would make for one of the highlights of the tournament for many i feel :):)

I would have no problem with England winning the Euro's I would actually prefer them to win than the Germans or Italians...

Uh... ya... Russian fans putting their best face forward, I see :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18383678
:evil:

I think it depends entirely on which Englishman/Scotman/Arsenal/Spurs supporter you talk too...

I for one would much rather see all the Home Nations involved in a major tournament and progress as far as they can, then just England or a couple involved. Of course, if it came down to England versus Scotland/Ireland/N. Ireland/Wales, then I'm gonna be desperate for an England win, and hope we win well.

Having said all of the above, I am fully aware that there is centuries of social & economic factors as to why any Scot/Welshman/Irishman would not want England to succeed on the football pitch, but I'm not naive, & realise that it has little to do sport.

As an Englishman myself, I would like to see all the Home Nations qualify for these tournaments. And Celtic blood is so mixed around the English nation anyway that's its hard not to find an Englishman without some kind of connection to Wales, Scotland and Ireland. I myself have/had grandparents with ancestry from each of the Home Nations.

But then again, as a Liverpool supporter I am slightly subject to the whole 'club first, country nowhere' thing. Not by choice, it's just something you inherit as a fan of the North West teams. I find it very very difficult to get enthusiastic about international football in the same way I kick furniture around the room when Liverpool lose. That probably plays a big part in terms of rivalry with other nations. I could never hate Scotland as much as I hate Man United for example. I don't even hate Scotland.

It's funny; I've had very long and warm conversations with Celtic fans as a Liverpool fan. I think there is a great sense of warmth and appreciation between Celtic and the North West English clubs. Yet that doesn't seem to translate at all into the international arena. As soon as the national flags come out we apparently all hate each other.

From the other direction, I know a guy who is half Welsh-half English and he insults the English as if he is full Welsh. So I don't really know where that animosity comes from in someone who should be able to see it from both sides. My granddad who had Irish ancestry was sort of the same. He was much prouder of his Irish heritage, maybe because as a northern, working man he indentified more with the victims of imperialism rather than the imperialists themselves.

Back