The end of the West End?

There's many factors that have affected the West End. One of the biggest was the demise of Club 18-30's and 2Wentys which funnelled crowds of young people into the bars every night. Guaranteed profits and plenty of them. It also means the age demographic in San Antonio has shifted and noticeably so meaning there are much more of us grumpy old folk who are less likely to put up with nonsense from the looky men and bar reps.

Then you had the consull clamping down- part of the demise of 18-30's etc was probably down to the banning of bar crawls and drinks deals (some of which were quite mad!). I know the enforcement of noise limiters in bars caused the demise of at least two bars that I know of. Then of course there was covid- it completely ruined at least two seasons. It all amounts to profits being destroyed year on year for a long time now and that was never going to be sustainable for most bars.

A good few years later me and the missus called in their for a drink, after it had been transformed into the Wikiwoo hotel. Some kind of Instagram film set. I actually felt a little bit sick with all of the bright pinks and luminous colours competing over each other.

I think this is a good example of the point you make.

This is exactly it. So plastic and fake - the same feeling I got at the original Ushuaia opening party ( the one that was so depressing I managed to give security the slip and get up to the roof with a friend - we spent most of it sat on the tiles looking down at the DJ booth without being spotted before climbing in a window to get back out of the place :lol: ). It was like being on some tacky glammed up film set rather than in a place with any 'presence' oozing proper party vibes.

I think the only other time I ended up in Ushuaia was for Sasha ... and that led to meeting a lass, sneaking into some VIP cabana area and her accepting a dare to jump topless into the pool. Needless to say we were both thrown out :spank::lol:

You've got to remember the kids that come out now don't drink in bars at home

They show up after midnight after pre drinking at home so they aren't going to pay even more to bar drink in ibiza

It's killed off a lot of UK nightlife, only natural it comes here too sadly

I was on the west end last night. It wasn't what it was, but I did see someone get their nose broke so not everything changes

But even as someone hurtling toward 40 I couldn't help but notice the lack of vibe to entice anyone in because of the restrictions in place. Last night we were walking through like...christ this is a bit shit

The yoof of today aren’t drinking nowhere like previous generations. They’re all into the gym now. Plus I doubt they’d want to get slaughtered down the west end end up in the gutter and a picture or video of them go viral

The yoof of today aren’t drinking nowhere like previous generations. They’re all into the gym now. Plus I doubt they’d want to get slaughtered down the west end end up in the gutter and a picture or video of them go viral

Some are heavily into fitness but plenty don't seem to be. Roids and coke appear to rule the roost it's been headed that way for years ... and loads of them do seem to drink heavily, it's just maybe that they pre-drink in their rooms/apartments if it costs too much to drink out (which in Ibiza it clearly does now !) as @MelvinDeath says ? Cheap bars in other parts of the med still cause endless 'casualties', social media or no social media ! There's been a divide between drinkers and 'ravers/clubbers' since the '80s but that was largely down to E and later Special K. Move away from those and the 'boundaries' are much more blurred !

Some are heavily into fitness but plenty don't seem to be. Roids and coke appear to rule the roost it's been headed that way for years ... and loads of them do seem to drink heavily, it's just maybe that they pre-drink in their rooms/apartments if it costs too much to drink out (which in Ibiza it clearly does now !) as @MelvinDeath says ? Cheap bars in other parts of the med still cause endless 'casualties', social media or no social media ! There's been a divide between drinkers and 'ravers/clubbers' since the '80s but that was largely down to E and later Special K. Move away from those and the 'boundaries' are much more blurred !

Thats what I think , too. The alcohol thing went smaller. The younger ones dont want drinking excesses. Exceptions are seen ...
In Ibiza : Never seen drinking excesses in the clubs. Some Gin Tonic , but no totally drunken idiots. Saw it in San An and sometimes PdB.

The Hall of Fame is coming...

Walked through west end last night on way to a place to eat, this was about 9pm, couldn’t believe how quiet it was. I’m sure it wasn’t that quiet at that time years ago.

Walked through west end last night on way to a place to eat, this was about 9pm, couldn’t believe how quiet it was. I’m sure it wasn’t tha

I think you're a bit late with this observation 😂.

Last year I'd call the west end anything near like it was would be 2018. It's now just a few people going for nostalgia, the Scots at the Highlander and a scattering of a few others seemingly on more chilled ones than the area was ever known for.

I think you're a bit late with this observation 😂.

Last year I'd call the west end anything near like it was would be 2018. It's now just a few people going for nostalgia, the Scots at the Highlander and a scattering of a few others seemingly on more chilled ones than the area was ever known for.

Yeah tbh haven’t been near it at night for years, I was near it again last night much later and it was busier than say 9pm but still didn’t feel anything like what it once was. Also appears to be very concentrated to that one street whereas I remember the bars being a bit more spread across the side streets too. Shame really, was always a good place to start the night.

Back