The end of the West End?

it's an age-old chicken and egg though. do the lurid headlines reflect the situation on the ground or do people turn up seduced by the lurid headlines?

Good question! Amsterdam has been trying and failing to do 'dont come here' ads for stag dos...but saying dont have your stag do here its wild has the opposite effect!

For what it's worth...I think it actually may be a positive for the bars (people not taking carry outs and hanging outside without paying)..end of the day, it's their laws and regulations and people should respect that (in any country). I doubt it'll be forcefully used unless required

The Balearic government will earmark 16 million euros from the proceeds of the sustainable tourism tax or tourist tax (ITS) for security, inspections and increasing the awareness of tourists in areas of “excessive tourism” and enforce the ban on drinking alcohol in public.
So the tourist tax isn't going towards hospitals or other facilities as its proponents love to claim, but will just be used to harass tourists.

Another change in the decree is that it defines the distance of prohibition of party boats, which cannot be organised within 1 nautical mile (1.852 km) of the areas defined in the decree, and it is also forbidden to pick up and disembark passengers in the areas of excess.
Does this mean no more party boats ex-SanAn? This is big.

So the tourist tax isn't going towards hospitals or other facilities as its proponents love to claim, but will just be used to harass tourists.

Does this mean no more party boats ex-SanAn? This is big.
no. Boat parties in San Antonio are unaffected and nothing changes. At least nothing which hasn't already been in place the past four years already. I'm led to believe the new legislation regarding boat parties is primarily concerning operators in Mallorca

For what it's worth...I think it actually may be a positive for the bars (people not taking carry outs and hanging outside without paying)..end of the day, it's their laws and regulations and people should respect that (in any country). I doubt it'll be forcefully used unless required
From what was saw on the bbc documentary there are 6/8 police to patroll the whole of san an + the bay on any given night, if part of there dutys were to watch for every person/brittish person with a drink in hand they would not be able to focus on anything else, to me i think we wont see much of a change.

I’m surprised by how obsessed the British tabloids are with ‘this legislation is aimed at Brits’ stories. We’re not that important. It’s aimed at improving anti social behaviour. For our own media to assume that’s all about us is depressingly amusing. They really do despise their readership.
Edit: This isn’t to say that I don’t realise that we do behave despicably rather too often.

Last edited:
From what was saw on the bbc documentary there are 6/8 police to patroll the whole of san an + the bay on any given night, if part of there dutys were to watch for every person/brittish person with a drink in hand they would not be able to focus on anything else, to me i think we wont see much of a change.
The govt is earmarking 16 million euros from the tourist tax for security and inspections per the article I posted above. Not sure if that's per year or for all 3 years the new regulation is supposed to cover. Should be enough to station a few dozen goons dashing out fines for drinking outside, while robberies go on as usual :rolleyes:

Not sure how a ban on party boats is supposed to limit anti social behavior - seems it's more about just harassing tourists hoping they would go away.

The govt is earmarking 16 million euros from the tourist tax for security and inspections per the article I posted above. Not sure if that's per year or for all 3 years the new regulation is supposed to cover. Should be enough to station a few dozen goons dashing out fines for drinking outside, while robberies go on as usual :rolleyes:

Not sure how a ban on party boats is supposed to limit anti social behavior - seems it's more about just harassing tourists hoping they would go away.
Party boats can be fun and also a darned nuisance; I've noticed they get parked off the beaches of Formentera and while I'm glad they get to see the beautiful beaches, the constant "thud thud thud" from them is darned annoying - totally in the wrong place for that.

Would love to see by-laws introduced where certain beaches are "quiet" and any boats doing that are breaking the law, but those fun boats welcome opposite beaches where there are already beach clubs/noise eg. Sa Trinxa on the mainland.

Would love to see by-laws introduced where certain beaches are "quiet" and any boats doing that are breaking the law, but those fun boats welcome opposite beaches where there are already beach clubs/noise eg. Sa Trinxa on the mainland.
Agree with that. Don't think I ever saw a party boat at Salinas though - are they permitted there at all? Natural park, protected seagrass and such. I remember a party boat captain refusing to go to Atlantis with a similar reasoning (no idea if he lied or not).

But you are out of luck - seems the new legislation instead outlaws party boats at Playa de Palma and Magaluf, loud areas already.

To put things into perspective, or to add more fuel to the fire, in less than 7 days there's been two cases of "balconing" in San Antonio...

(plus one death in Mallorca for the same reason)

Agree with that. Don't think I ever saw a party boat at Salinas though - are they permitted there at all? Natural park, protected seagrass and such. I remember a party boat captain refusing to go to Atlantis with a similar reasoning (no idea if he lied or not).

But you are out of luck - seems the new legislation instead outlaws party boats at Playa de Palma and Magaluf, loud areas already.
Good point, not sure, but I have seen them alongside beaches on Formentera and aren't those protected locations - the Aquabus in the 00's used to drop off passengers at a small island where they waded to the beach (anyone recall that??) and then had to stop - presumably for environment protection? That's the exact same area the party boats dock, I need to look this up because on my walks I've seen roadside maps with designated areas of coast marked for protection (as are the dunes).

This very site has an explanation r/e preservation and if those party boats transgress maybe it is a police or coastguard issue? Mind you, a ton of boats dock off the beaches so why would party boats be any different - other than the noise?

I do miss the Fish, some great memories of meeting people and learning how to play shut the box (badly) .

Exactly that, I went down as they showed all of the football, ended up deep in to many games of shut the box and would return again.
I actually saw Joe a couple of months back at a football match, didn’t approach as he might not remember the bloke he chatted to years back who grew up on the next village along 😃.

In fact I’ve just remembered I have a picture of a bit of buckaroo on an unsuccessful shut the box player 😂

Attachments

• IMG_4418.jpeg
    IMG_4418.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I’m surprised by how obsessed the British tabloids are with ‘this legislation is aimed at Brits’ stories. We’re not that important. It’s aimed at improving anti social behaviour. For our own media to assume that’s all about us is depressingly amusing. They really do despise their readership.
Edit: This isn’t to say that I don’t realise that we do behave despicably rather too often.

Right wing rags. Their own readership need to be swept up in a constant us vs them vitriol. See brexit and every Tory party policy.

I don’t really see anyone drinking from shops on the street, it’s more of an annoyance when they haven’t bought in advance for a few in their hotel room before going out, so will probably just turn to more drugs.

Party boats can be fun and also a darned nuisance; I've noticed they get parked off the beaches of Formentera and while I'm glad they get to see the beautiful beaches, the constant "thud thud thud" from them is darned annoying - totally in the wrong place for that.

When you're enjoying the mellow calm of Benirràs the last thing you want to see is those boats come in too close. Sadly didn't have an M1 bazooka to hand last time.

Right wing rags. Their own readership need to be swept up in a constant us vs them vitriol. See brexit and every Tory party policy.

I don’t really see anyone drinking from shops on the street, it’s more of an annoyance when they haven’t bought in advance for a few in their hotel room before going out, so will probably just turn to more drugs.

I remember when they made the West End bars be indoor after midnight approx 5-10 years ago I saw more groups drinking outside shops, good example of just shifting a problem somewhere else. People sat outside bars on the West End where generally not causing much bother. Shops not being able to sell alcohol after a certain time has probably curtailed that now (been years since ive been on the West End now)

I remember when they made the West End bars be indoor after midnight approx 5-10 years ago I saw more groups drinking outside shops, good example of just shifting a problem somewhere else. People sat outside bars on the West End where generally not causing much bother. Shops not being able to sell alcohol after a certain time has probably curtailed that now (been years since ive been on the West End now)
Are there any laws against drinking on the beach if the bars get closed??

Back