The end of the West End?

Kinda surprised by the reactions here. Okuda is a renowned spanish contemporary artist who already has a piece on a building in San An.
His work can be found all over the world. Off course it's a matter of taste....Personally I like his work.
And about the politics...well looks like it's all EU funded money that pays for this work, doesn't really hurt anyone unless perhaps the people that will be high on acid seeing this street come to live :D

Large sections of Barcelona's streets have similarly been painted in garish colours by the city government over the last few years. I don't think Okuda was commissioned on those but wondering if he was inspired by them? Personally not a fan. Might be fun for a few kids to play hopscotch on but for anyone else it induces a migraine.

Live and direct from the West End, first visit since the anniversary party of the now disappeared Ragnarock in December 2019.

The old Joe Spoons is now the latin music club Saona.

Needless to say, we're at Colon... the only place that plays some decent music around here!

Nordic Walking is cringe af. I remember when it was "invented". The promo videos were showing youthful 60-70 years olds all smiling and pretending they were having fun.

I hope I never reach the age where Nordic Walking, or Padel to take another example, are the activities of choice. (I'm going straight from off-piste skiing and all-night partying to the old age home).

It's a pity that Nordic Walking is the best San An can imagine as an outdoor activity off-season. IMO cycling is much more relevant activity. The roads in that area are excellent for cycling, with lots of variations and alternatives. But then you have to be reasonably fit simply to get on the bike.

Not been on here for a long time. Must've been directed here from a google search about something or other. But thanks for the trip down memory lane. Have great nostalgic memories of the West End from the mid nineties. As a cheap night to take a breather inbetween nights at Manumission at Ku etc. Play2 and Nitelife are two names i remember from that area. And also a great little club called Extasis round near the egg.

Sad about the gentrification, but that's the same everywhere now from what i can see. Times change, London's dull as dishwater these days. Just coffee shops and street food as if that's the answer to everything ;)

Why do shop shutters always get graffited in Spain? But not the walls so much? Its like people come along and think i'm gonna fck up these shop shutters but leave the walls alone, dont want to make the place look down market

Actually a good question! Is it because more of the shops / bars have them? Not that many places in say London have those types of shutters.

Looks like some quality work tbh.

The new paving looks nice, but then they plan to daub a in your face artwork on them (see earlier posts) but I assume that'll just be down the main street

Also sure I saw somewhere that the next phase will be to improve the route from the Sunset Strip to the West End, down the street that ends up at Mambos, to make it a more clearer route and they of course hope the sunset crowd start to walk down the West End, which will of course be full of designer boutiques and people eating tapas by then 😉

The new paving looks nice, but then they plan to daub a in your face artwork on them (see earlier posts) but I assume that'll just be down the main street

Also sure I saw somewhere that the next phase will be to improve the route from the Sunset Strip to the West End, down the street that ends up at Mambos, to make it a more clearer route and they of course hope the sunset crowd start to walk down the West End, which will of course be full of designer boutiques and people eating tapas by then 😉
I actually like the artwork. They are making a solid effort to enhance the visitor and resident experience. I'd rather have something to look at vs. potholes and dirt.

La campaña 'Sant Antoni 365. Un sol todo el año' cuenta con el video promocional 'Tanto por vivir' para dar a conocer a nivel nacional e internacional los atractivos que ofrece nuestro municipio durante todo el año.
No es un sueño, lo puedes vivir en #SantAntonidePortmany

:arrow: VIDEO

Lots of people who are well connected are under the impression that there will be no floor mural - certainly this summer, despite the insistence of politicians to the contrary...

Why do shop shutters always get graffited in Spain? But not the walls so much? Its like people come along and think i'm gonna fck up these shop shutters but leave the walls alone, dont want to make the place look down market

not true in BCN. Everywhere gets done over indiscriminately, from commuter trains to lovely old modernist buildings, with pretty much every wall in Raval tagged.

Back