The end of the West End?

This will add colour and glitter to the town right before the Ibiza Gay Pride. It will include all kind of events at the fountains square and the port area and, as a big closing, the Diversity Celebration party at S'Arenal beach...
241650540_6152247721514604_1344306773760952087_n.jpg

Just done the loop from O Beachish around the bay and back and it feels pretty run down, particularly on the road running through. Lots of stuff closed down permanently and quite a lot of graffiti too

San An in my opinion has always felt pretty 'run down'.... you only need to walk around the back streets or the west end pre pandemic to see that. It isn't exactly glamorous. BUT that's ultimately its charm it isn't trying to be

Side note though the the lack of looky looky men floating about is a worthwhile improvement as well as that hell hole the west end being closed or far from busy. Unpopular opinion but the west end needs closing permanently.

I think the lack of magic or a vibe or those post night out feels can make San An feel a little bit more of a drag and yes when you see places quiet, empty of closed at 9pm doesn't exactly fill you with excitement of an evening.

If it was your first time in Ibiza this year and you stayed in San An you wouldn't exactly want to return. But the same could be said for many places when you have draconian restrictions sucking the life and soul out of a destination.

Roll on 2022.

San An in my opinion has always felt pretty 'run down'.... you only need to walk around the back streets or the west end pre pandemic to see that. It isn't exactly glamorous. BUT that's ultimately its charm it isn't trying to be

Side note though the the lack of looky looky men floating about is a worthwhile improvement as well as that hell hole the west end being closed or far from busy. Unpopular opinion but the west end needs closing permanently.

I think the lack of magic or a vibe or those post night out feels can make San An feel a little bit more of a drag and yes when you see places quiet, empty of closed at 9pm doesn't exactly fill you with excitement of an evening.

If it was your first time in Ibiza this year and you stayed in San An you wouldn't exactly want to return. But the same could be said for many places when you have draconian restrictions sucking the life and soul out of a destination.

Roll on 2022.
This is spot on. Am thinking about switching to the other side of the island for the last couple of nights. Maybe Santa Eulalia or Fig

yeah I've been saying this for years. you get the real deal elsewhere... a lot of people get touchy about it on here though, because they had their first pint/E/handjob there or whatever, which is why there's that nostalgic connection.

And how exactly do you compensate businesses and owners who have been there decades ? And what about the effect on other local businesses in the area if you close half of it and lose all foot fall.

Sounds like those against gentrification, are encouraging gentrification 😵‍💫

ok a lot of this has already been discussed to death in the 'west end' thread. It's obviously a gradual process. the council have been working hard on 'detoxifying the brand' and I'm all for it if it means a nicer area that deters louts, touts and seedy parasites. not much sympathy for businesses that flouted the rules year after year. gentrification? well if that means more variety and different music, live ents, arts, street food, one-off events and 21st century options for a wider demographic, then bring it on.

I think this is a bit unfair on San Antonio. I personally felt it was a lot better this summer and also much cleaner. The area around Golden Buddha and beyond is really improving with new (higher end) development further along and we enjoyed 3 nights at Wiki-Woo after Es Vive in August which I never thought I would (and with my Mum too!). I'm sure the lack of clubs and the higher costs had an impact as San Antonio was less attractive for younger (pissed up, likely British!) tourists due to the testing as well. It definitely feels like it is moving more upmarket now.

Maybe it’s just me - but PDB feels much grimier / seedier underbelly to it than the relatively harmless west end. Particularly around Sankeys / Octan this year did not feel that safe walking around at night

Beach area aside, PDB could definitely do with a makeover. The main road feels pretty grotty, not helped by so many empty units. I often wonder what people who pay stupidly high rates for accommodation at the 5 star hotels must think as they drive through PDB...

Agree about the street leading down to Octan. When the clubs were open in 2019 and I walked down there with a female friend around IMS week, we got a ridiculous amount of hassle.

I think this is a bit unfair on San Antonio. I personally felt it was a lot better this summer and also much cleaner. The area around Golden Buddha and beyond is really improving with new (higher end) development further along and we enjoyed 3 nights at Wiki-Woo after Es Vive in August which I never thought I would (and with my Mum too!). I'm sure the lack of clubs and the higher costs had an impact as San Antonio was less attractive for younger (pissed up, likely British!) tourists due to the testing as well. It definitely feels like it is moving more upmarket now.
looking forward to exploring the beyond Mambos(!) areas later in the week. For some reason I’ve never got up there so far, but am at the Gran Sol Wed/Thu night so will have a poke around. Pool this morning, then Ibiza town later, might even do the walk to PDB via Fig to see what’s what as well

ultimately, the forum will never agree on this. healthy debate n dat. I've never made any secret of the fact I dislike SA and have no love for PDB either. I like my ibiza bohemian & international and neither will ever really offer me that + none of the local music crowd I know would really ever hang out in either, so it makes no sense for me either.

ultimately, the forum will never agree on this. healthy debate n dat. I've never made any secret of the fact I dislike SA and have no love for PDB either. I like my ibiza bohemian & international and neither will ever really offer me that + none of the local music crowd I know would really ever hang out in either, so it makes no sense for me either.
Make Everywhere Less Shit

looking forward to exploring the beyond Mambos(!) areas later in the week. For some reason I’ve never got up there so far, but am at the Gran Sol Wed/Thu night so will have a poke around. Pool this morning, then Ibiza town later, might even do the walk to PDB via Fig to see what’s what as well

Enjoy! I was firmly in the PDB (over San An) camp back in the 00s but enjoyed Wiki-Woo and would consider staying in San An again. I'll likely be hanging out there when we're staying at Pikes later this month, as well as Santos! Both areas have their pros and cons, as with most places...

Back