The end of the West End?

“What we have to move away from is depending on the police to solve the problem"
If they had've policed the place properly all these years maybe it wouldn't have ended up the way it has
If you mean their previous methods were not proper policing i.e. showing up occasionally to smash a few drunk kids round their heads, as a warning to others that never really worked, you're right on. But if you mean they could have descended on the West End nightly like something out of Zulu and 'fixed' the place, nah, have to disagree. West End would not be the west End if that happened, plus, where are they going to get the resources for all that? Seems to me they allowed the West End to act as the necessary cesspool that all holiday destinations end up with, then some people high up thought it was ripe for gentrification 10 years ago and started trying to get what they wanted by stealth. Big problem here though is that you need people with money to make that work. West end was always the cheap place for people on a budget, hence the scummy carefree vibe of the place. It's not on the beach like the nicer places on the bay, it's a bunch of inland buildings. You're limited in what you can do with them.

It's very much the young Brit crowd who make West End what it is. So if you want the West end gone, then you need to get rid of that crowd. OR be prepared to lose that crowd. I don't know how they can be so confident there will be another 'crowd' to replace them, with the money they thing that will bring.

The major said today to IB3 that they will help economically to those who turn their bars in the West End into restaurants, shops or upmarket bars.

Wasn't aware of the pool incident, the CCTV auto deleting seems fishy but at the same time there is always going to be risks drinking around a pool.

CCTV systems tend to be setup so the hard-disk re-writes over itself when it's full.

The systems that the company I work for tend to back up around 14-21 days depending on the number of cameras and the picture quality

Last edited:
Pub Casanova, one of the longest-standing bars in the area, open all year round and favourite among locals, moved to the bay (old Mar i Pins) at the end of last year. Waiting for better times to reopen in the West End I suppose...

138244629_3771476929542110_572508474903496678_n.jpg

Pub Casanova, one of the longest-standing bars in the area, open all year round and favourite among locals, moved to the bay (old Mar i Pins) at the end of last year. Waiting for better times to reopen in the West End I suppose...

138244629_3771476929542110_572508474903496678_n.jpg

Interesting that that's another bar going from San An to the Bay (following Plastik) outdoor space in the Bay might be a lot more appealing now following the pandemic.

As expected, specific measures for the West End from now on to limit the excess tourism...

Where’s ‘decent’ for drinks in the west end now ? Been a good few years since I’ve been and just in case we fancy a ‘quieter’ night this year…

Back