Tell us how it was - Ibiza 2018

my wife called time on our relationship a month ago. I have a solo trip booked for clockwork weekend and I wasn’t going to go but my dad being 76 and the only man I take advice from has told me go. To be honest it will make or break me. I look at the island as a magical place. I only go once a year but feel home as soon as I land. I’m not sure what it is but something grabs me (and it’s not my ex wife) in my opinion it definitely rejuvinates the right people
Give us a shout dude, Im sure we can blow the froth off a few together at Clockstock or Shhh?

Dates you were there: 6th July - 13th July

Where you stayed: Hotel Galera, San Antonio. First time staying in San An. Cheap and cheerful hotel and ideal location.

Club nights visited: Arena 10 @Ibiza Rocks, Zoo Project, Circo and Abode/Do No Sleep @amnesia

We were due to go Religion at Eden first night but it was pulled due to lack of numbers. Zoo boat was also pulled for the same reason. We also had guesty for Pikes on two nights and Priv on another but due to the state we were in we never left the hotel (need to stop doing that).

Best day/night: Zoo. As reviewed in another thread it was my mates first time there and they loved it. Monki played the set of the holiday in the Seal Pit. It's on the Zoo FB page if anyone wants to check it.

Worst night: Circo only for the overcrowding. Music was immense though. Ellen :)

Best bar: Tamesis in San An. Really friendly sports bar serving decent food and cheap beer. It was great for the football as well.

Best place to eat: We are generally idiots when it comes to eating in Ibiza but this time we ate properly. Found a very nice Mexican place 1 min walk from our hotel called Tijuana. Excellent set menu for €14 3 courses. They also had a huge list of Tequilla which we tucked into! Another shout for Gran Chinese in San An.

Money spent: £1k

Biggest regret: Hammering it most nights. I need to clam down I'm not young anymore and am paying for it now even taking 5htp!

Going back?: Yes but might have a year off in 2019 as saving for a new gaff.

Top tips: Get out and about. Go to Ibiza Town have a mission round Dalt Villa. I had an ulterior motive this time as I am trying to become a professional magician and attempted to film some magic up there but it went wrong shall we say o_O

Also got a new tattoo which is a map of the island. Ibiza is forever etched on my being now. Will be good if I ever get lost...

Last edited:
my wife called time on our relationship a month ago. I have a solo trip booked for clockwork weekend and I wasn’t going to go but my dad being 76 and the only man I take advice from has told me go. To be honest it will make or break me. I look at the island as a magical place. I only go once a year but feel home as soon as I land. I’m not sure what it is but something grabs me (and it’s not my ex wife) in my opinion it definitely rejuvinates the right people

So true. I took about a week there by myself a few years ago, when I was having a tough time getting my life back in line after my Dad passed away unexpectedly. It was transformative - restoring my outlook and improving my attitude on life, better than it had been in years.

I hope it's able to have as restorative (almost magical) an effect on you as well.

Where you stayed: Hotel Galera, San Antonio. First time staying in San An. Cheap and cheerful hotel and ideal location.

Club nights visited: Arena 10 @Ibiza Rocks, Zoo Project, Circo and Abode/Do No Sleep @amnesia

We were due to go Religion at Eden first night but it was pulled due to lack of numbers. Zoo boat was also pulled for the same reason. We also had guesty for Pikes on two nights and Priv on another but due to the state we were in we never left the hotel (need to stop doing that).

Best day/night: Zoo. As reviewed in another thread it was my mates first time there and they loved it. Monki played the set of the holiday in the Seal Pit. It's on the Zoo FB page if anyone wants to check it.

Worst night: Circo only for the overcrowding. Music was immense though. Ellen :)

Zoo is really the answer on sunday , some canadian on my whatsapp group just confirm it last night ..some people supporting rumours Destino? mellow as feuck this party :D Woomoon cova Santa, OK..Blue Marlin sunday is my favourite with Zoo project on sunday
Add the vip/Backtage for free, for those(only reliable/best mates as i'm not Theresa sister :rolleyes:) that ll do this party with me :cool: 2€ water, i guess i can afford it :lol:

Best bar: Tamesis in San An. Rely friendly sports bar serving decent food and cheap beer. It was great for the football as well.

Best place to eat: We are generally idiots when it comes to eating in Ibiza but this time we ate properly. Found a very nice Mexican place 1 min walk from our hotel called Tijuana. Excellent set menu for €14 3 courses. They also had a huge list of Tequilla which we tucked into! Another shout for Gran Chinese in San An.

Biggest regret: Hammering it most nights. I need to clam down I'm not young anymore and am paying for it now even taking 5htp!

Top tips: Get out and about. Go to Ibiza Town have a mission round Dalt Villa. I had an ulterior motive this time as I am trying to become a professional magician and attempted to film some magic up there but it went wrong shall we say o_O

Also got a new tattoo which is a map of the island. Ibiza is forever etched on my being now. Will be good if I ever get lost...
What did you find Abode/DNS like?

Best bar: Tamesis in San An. Rely friendly sports bar serving decent food and cheap beer. It was great for the football as well.

Stayed at Galera on my first ever visit to the island. Does the old guy with the tash still sit and growl on reception at night?

I have memories of bellowing Lethal Industry out at all hours on a daily basis for a week solid whilst chewing my jaw - the poor boy was demented. :twisted:

What did you find Abode/DNS like?

I liked it a lot. However the music/vibe of Abode is very similar to Fuse which I found pretty boring when I went their night a few years back at Sankeys.

I remember seeing Josh Butler some time ago back in Leeds and thinking he's gonna be a big hitter in years to come and he played a decent set in the main room. Then we saw Doc Martin b2b Sneak. The crowd quietened down after a bit. Not sure people understand who they are!!

Incredibly this was actually my first time in Amnesia and there was room to dance everywhere so I consider myself very lucky on that front.

This night was also the first time I've ever seen anyone kick off in Ibiza. It was a group of girls outside having a catfight. No one wants to see that at a rave.

Last edited:
Dates you were there: June 18th - July 12th; 1st official holiday away as a family

Where you stayed: Apartamentos del Rey (Portinatx, 13 Days) & Recos Des Sol (San Antoni, 12 days). We were to stay in Cala LLonga for 5 days but a(nother) last minute flight cancellation cut our trip by 3 days so we extended our stay in SA.

Club nights visited: Ego @ Lio; Namaste @ Las Dalias; Cosmic Pineapple (Daytime) @ Pikes

Best night: Ego @ Lio was only "Night" out without kids. The cabaret stage show was interesting. The club night kicked off at about 12:30am and was serviceable. I am not picky about my music and danced to whatever was played. What I enjoyed most was people-watching. Overall it was fun. We did Namaste 3x and it was enjoyable even while chasing my boys around the place. I really enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere there and this would have likely been my favorite if I was able to stay out past about 12am, but the boys would not allow it. The best night of the three we attended was on June 27th (I think) with the Benidrum troupe. Cosmic Pineapple was cool, and may have been even more fun than Namaste, however we got there early (4pm) and were burnt out by about 10pm, just as it was getting interesting.

Worst night: Not Applicable

Best bar: No bars this trip, but I bought most of my beers from the old lady that sells cans of San Miguel at the nudist beach at Escondida. At 2 euro each, I always had about 4-5 :) and felt perfect by sunset.

Best place to eat: Fine dining was out of the question with two small kids so there was a lot of take-out, burgers/pizza and dinner made at the apartment, but we did venture out about a half-dozen times during the weeks there. Best overall dining experience was at 'La Paloma' in Sant Llorenç. The healthy options were right up our alley, and the service and ambiance were icing on the cake. The view of the countryside was amazing and they even had a play area for the kids.

Special mention to the hotel restaurant 'Real' in Portinatx, as I was skeptical about but they over-performed my expectations.

Money spent: EU 3,000 including spotlight pre-paids (not including flight, car and accomodation) for 24 days. On the ground this is about EU120 per day for a small family.

Biggest regret: Did not make it to Rock Nights at Pikes (my own fault). I guest-listed 2x, but was usually too gassed by the end of the day to go out. I was also never able to buy a Hierbas for Jimmiz at the Chiringuito in Portinatx.

Going back?: Yes. Hopefully not waiting another 6 years!

Top tip: (1) Don't eat yellow snow, (2)try and join the 'Balcony Club' while on holiday... and (3)buy travel insurance if you buy flights and accommodation far in advance. This cut my trip costs by about $3K due to reimbursement of impacts from flight cancellation. This basically covered by daily expenses on island.

Last edited:
What did you think of the El Rey, Casa Negron? I kinda liked it but thought the layout was bizarre. Anyone who has ever visited the Barbican in London will know what I mean. It is almost designed to get you lost!, endless corridors and stairwells which seem to take you round in circles. I couldn't believe the room though. full kitchen concealed in the wardrobe! amazing view of the sea though.

I liked it.

It appeared to be built (or acquired) in stages, from the style of building and how it is all laid out. At least that is what I could observe on the daily walk to the pool. We stayed on the 1st floor, right above the pharmacy/bakery so I didn't get to climb the stairs or explore much, but even being on the 1st floor the view was amazing from our balcony. Unfortunately, there are other interior rooms that have a balcony that look directly at a rock wall and not much else. I saw no price differential, so I assume they unfortunately paid the same or were given to package/tour types. Also, some of the suites appears to be privately owned as and/or were given to long-term renters/seasonal workers.

Our room was a standard layout, consisting of a main salon with a seperate bedroom. The kitchen was regular/open, but I did see the closet kitchen type that you are referring to from online photos.

Overall, I was really happy with what we got and how much we paid. It was clean and decently maintained, nothing flash but I wasn't attempting to pay for that. If returning to the Ibizan north in the future I would probably not look to stay anywhere else, for a self-cater hotel stay. Obviously there may be other opinions, but it ticked all the boxes for the 'cheap and cheerful' family-oriented place that we were looking for. It has a great pool, which the boys enjoyed as well as a 2 min walk to a really good beach.

Back