Tell us how it was - Ibiza 2018

-ates you were there: 17-22 June

Where you stayed (resort/hotel): Hostel Pitiusa & Hotel Es Vive, both in Figueretas.
Hostel Pitiusa is super clean and we got a nice big room. No facilities to speak of but it's two blocks from the beach so what more do you want?
The Es Vive has been bought out since our last visit so Jason Bull & his gang are no longer around. I'm still thinking about the little changes we noticed and am worried that they'll continue to make more. For me, the Es Vive is one of those places on the island that has both a history & a soul, like Pikes. We were nervous to return and we did notice little changes such as less staff, no staff stopped to ask how we were & have a chat, the Experience Bar being dead instead of the usual hedonistic sessions till 5am and the daytime music sometimes sounded like a bad wedding afters (think sped up George Michael & Fleetwood Mac covers), and not the eclectic chillout sounds we're used to there. Another nail in the coffin of old Ibiza . . . we'll see.

Club nights visited: Solomun+1 @ Pacha; Abode/DoNotSleep @ Amnesia

Best night: Solomun+1 (Konstantin Sibold) New Pacha is just like old Pacha. As @stivi said months ago, they haven't changed the soul of the place, just made the dance floor more open and improved things. Sound was bang-on and production was minimal. Solomun & Konstantin were on top form and played till 07:03am - they looked like they were really having fun. The crowd didn't really thin out even till the end. The room on the left beside the restaurant is now the perfect chillout space. Top marks for the ice-cream stand on the terrace, or was that always there?!!

Worst night: none, although Amnesia was nowhere near busy - DoNotSleep closed the main room early.

Best bar: Sky Bar in Hotel Es Vive . . . bliss (when they get the music right)

Best place to eat: Locals Only in Ibiza town. Their philosophy is to use only locally sourced ingredients, so everything is super fresh & tasty.
The terrace at Apartamentos Llevant in Figueretas is a hidden gem we found this time.
And always a shout to Bar Little in Figueretas.

Money spent: Not as much as last year !

Biggest regret: Coming home (as always)

Going back?: Yes, September.

Top tip: We rented a Jeep (Class Car Hire) and explored the laneways & dirt tracks all over the south-west. What a day well spent and paying extra for a Jeep made it so much fun.

Last edited:
Dates you were there: 20 - 27 june

Where you stayed: Occidental Ibiza , Port Des Torrent

Club nights visited: NONE (visited with our 1yr old boy) .

Best day/night: Probably going to Kumharas and then round the fun pubs of San Antonio bay – doesn’t sound much but there was us 4 adults 3 kids plus my missus’ Dad and his mates on a surprise visit from the mainland, plus a trio of workers so it was a unexpected mix and we had a laugh.

Worst night: Going the Sunset strip for our last night. Due to illness in the group and a late bus we got there late, it was rammed, our 1yr old went on a meltdown (probably the dodgy tunes at Mambo) and half of the group went home early. We salvaged something with a few drinks at Savannah , which our little boy loved. It was also quite poignant in a way as we had last sat there in 2014 on our last “blow out” before we started a long (and ultimately successful) journey of fertility treatment. So to see him boogying on the white Sofas was a really happy moment – even if it was 6 euro a San Miguel J

Best bar: Pub Don Juan facing the Hotel Arenal entrance. On the day of the England Panama game We’d been to Bay Bar for a stop and a drink and waited 40minutes for a pint of Heineken. So me and the other bloke sloped from the girls and decided these posey gaffs just weren’t doing it for us in price and service and went in PDJ. Pepe the barman was class and we had a proper laugh with him and his Ibiza tales, drinking misdemeanours , and football chat. 3euros a pint, old English pub décor , footy shirts on the ceiling, no pretence. We also got into a drunken conversation with a guy from Sheffield who’d been visiting since early 80s and was sound. Loads of regulars in there who go every year – good to see.

Best place to eat: The hotel food (all Inclusive ) was really good (with one major exception) and our friends with two kids were on a bit of a budget so we only ate out once – rare for us. We went to Relish in the bay and it was average. I had a Massamam curry which was tasty but REALLY watery. The missus had a chicken breast in sauce which was nice but you could have done a smash and grab with the wedges they were that hard.

Money spent: Hotel and Flights £1300 and about £500 spends.

Biggest regret: With travelling with a 1yr old who developed conjunctivitis and an ear infection, it was difficult to relax at times and take it all in. I didn’t really ever feel that atmosphere what everyone on here has experienced and that has kept me going back for 20+ years . Maybe it was the focus on the boy , the lack of clubbing / parties or maybe Ive changed. But just have to put it down to experience.

Going back?: Difficult to say. Overall it was a good holiday. We are fortunate to be able to go to Albir near Benidorm a few times throughout the year and stay for almost nothing and aside that we get so much more for our money over there. When kids limit you to fun pubs and All inclusives that could be anywhere in Spain Id find myself veering towards going there. I mean our favourite Chinese in Albir does all you can eat and drink for 13euros – I had 6pints and a banquet last time! However, mine and the GF lives (plus all our friends) lives are intertwined with Ibiza, its difficult to see me not succumbing to going again.

Top tips: No matter what you are going for clubs, bars , sailing , whatever, just try and take it in cos its soon over.

Dates you were there: 20 - 27 june

Where you stayed: Occidental Ibiza , Port Des Torrent

Club nights visited: NONE (visited with our 1yr old boy) .

Best day/night: Probably going to Kumharas and then round the fun pubs of San Antonio bay – doesn’t sound much but there was us 4 adults 3 kids plus my missus’ Dad and his mates on a surprise visit from the mainland, plus a trio of workers so it was a unexpected mix and we had a laugh.

Worst night: Going the Sunset strip for our last night. Due to illness in the group and a late bus we got there late, it was rammed, our 1yr old went on a meltdown (probably the dodgy tunes at Mambo) and half of the group went home early. We salvaged something with a few drinks at Savannah , which our little boy loved. It was also quite poignant in a way as we had last sat there in 2014 on our last “blow out” before we started a long (and ultimately successful) journey of fertility treatment. So to see him boogying on the white Sofas was a really happy moment – even if it was 6 euro a San Miguel J

Best bar: Pub Don Juan facing the Hotel Arenal entrance. On the day of the England Panama game We’d been to Bay Bar for a stop and a drink and waited 40minutes for a pint of Heineken. So me and the other bloke sloped from the girls and decided these posey gaffs just weren’t doing it for us in price and service and went in PDJ. Pepe the barman was class and we had a proper laugh with him and his Ibiza tales, drinking misdemeanours , and football chat. 3euros a pint, old English pub décor , footy shirts on the ceiling, no pretence. We also got into a drunken conversation with a guy from Sheffield who’d been visiting since early 80s and was sound. Loads of regulars in there who go every year – good to see.

Best place to eat: The hotel food (all Inclusive ) was really good (with one major exception) and our friends with two kids were on a bit of a budget so we only ate out once – rare for us. We went to Relish in the bay and it was average. I had a Massamam curry which was tasty but REALLY watery. The missus had a chicken breast in sauce which was nice but you could have done a smash and grab with the wedges they were that hard.

Money spent: Hotel and Flights £1300 and about £500 spends.

Biggest regret: With travelling with a 1yr old who developed conjunctivitis and an ear infection, it was difficult to relax at times and take it all in. I didn’t really ever feel that atmosphere what everyone on here has experienced and that has kept me going back for 20+ years . Maybe it was the focus on the boy , the lack of clubbing / parties or maybe Ive changed. But just have to put it down to experience.

Going back?: Difficult to say. Overall it was a good holiday. We are fortunate to be able to go to Albir near Benidorm a few times throughout the year and stay for almost nothing and aside that we get so much more for our money over there. When kids limit you to fun pubs and All inclusives that could be anywhere in Spain Id find myself veering towards going there. I mean our favourite Chinese in Albir does all you can eat and drink for 13euros – I had 6pints and a banquet last time! However, mine and the GF lives (plus all our friends) lives are intertwined with Ibiza, its difficult to see me not succumbing to going again.

Top tips: No matter what you are going for clubs, bars , sailing , whatever, just try and take it in cos its soon over.

Taking my 9-month old in September so this was a interesting read. We are staying in Santa Eularia which will obviously be much more chilled, but might try and get over to see the sunset one night.....

We had to guess from the timetable that was released that afternoon.
The Dj's themselves not even made it clear on their channels that they would not be there.

Circo Loco themselves could have been clearer as to who wasn't appearing, so I agree with you there. Their Facebook post was not clear about it. It had to come down to the comments below the post to see who exactly wasn't playing and even that was just speculation by regular peeps. Peggy Gou did say on FB that she wasn't coming tho. That does suck if she was basically the only person you're going for (I'm hoping I see her at Circo myself later this month but I doubt she'll come and I'll have to "settle' for her at DGTL Barcelona).

But I still commend Circo for getting Henry Saiz, Butch, Blodish and another DJ last second tho.

It must eat you alive seeing her do an extended set at Blue Marlin this past Sunday! No cover for that event either

Yeah that did eat me alive since I arrived back home before that weekend. Going back to the island in two weeks but she's not there then. I really wanted to see her live. But it's not a disaster as i'm seeing Solomun, Prydz, Camelphat, Lawler, Fitzpatrick and many others in two weeks :)

But thanks for your comment because it's nice to have some people that feel the same way about the communication we get sometimes from venues or dj's. To know everything like timetables, cancellations, delays, changes in line ups...it seems we have to follow all of their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and whatever else there is out there. I learn now from you that Peggy put it on her facebook but it was not on her Instagram. Because I like the funky housy techno style more than say...the Amelie Lens / Pan Pot style that was out there that night...i indeed really bought tickets for Gou. It was nice seeing DC10 for the first time though...those planes!! :D

And yeah, I understand now that Circoloco brought in a few big names last second, so props for that.

What are your dates? I'll be there July 22nd - Aug 8th

RE:circo loco. Yeah, full respect to them. I know lesser promoters wouldn't have brought in replacements in the same scenario. I think it helps that Saiz and Butch to me are guys I really wanna see live as well in Ibiza specifically, so I woulda been okay with this.

Dates you were there: Thursday 31st May - Thursday 7th June... and what a great time to be on the island it was!

Where you stayed: Beach Star Ibiza in San Antonio Bay from Thursday-Sunday and then moved across to the Garbi in Playa Den Bossa from Sunday-Thursday. Both hotels were superb. The Garbi you really do pay for it, but the Beach Star Ibiza I found to be very reasonably priced for a very clean, smart and modern hotel. I would highly recommend both without hesitation!

Club nights visited: Cocoon after hours @ KM5, Solomun+1, Circoloco, Pyramid and Cocoon

Best night: Well... although I would usually save this section for club reviews only, I would have to say Friday 1st June which happened to be the night where my girlfriend agreed to marry me in our favorite place in the world with the backdrop of the Es Vedra sunset. A huge shout out to @stivi for his assistance in finding this particular spot amongst other things and helping in making the moment as special as it was. I know many others have mentioned him before, but he really does go beyond the call of duty with this kind of stuff, so I wanted to give him a mention. Now back to the good stuff.....

Late to the party but huge congrats!

Dates you were there:
06.11 to 07.05

Where you stayed:
Like always...

Club nights visited:
ADID @ Blue Marlin
Cocoon @ Pacha (Solomun plus Papa Sven, but, the cherry on the cake, going there with my personal "Discover the new Pacha and enjoy all you can" guide, Stivi himself.
Not in Club, but partying too, Sant Joan Party, with an unforgettable mix of my very closed friend Iain, plus 2 private villa Parties.
Best night:
Both.
You can't compare a night @ Pacha, an afternoon with Lee Burridge and YokoO, and a village street party or an after with a group of 20 in a villa.
Every thing was pure happiness and magic.

Worst night:
Je n'ai pas compris la question.
I didn't understand the question

Best bar:
Chiringuito del Puerto in Portinatx, of course, my heart is inlaid in the wood of this shack.

Best place to eat:
Didn't had the time to discover new places this time, so I won't repeat what I said since ages...
La Luna, Cala Xucla, Restaurante 2000,Balansat, etc...

Money spent:
To be honest?
Around 3000.
But every Euro was well spent.
Food,wine, clothes, clubs, beers,drugs,taxi(how nice it is to come back from ibiza totally stoned without worrying about the cops, accident or whatever could happen on the road.
What a luxury thing at my advanced age.).

Biggest regret:
Not having enough time for all my friends.
I feel blessed to know or to meet for the first time all these lovely people there, locals, seasoners, tourists.
This year I just met the kind of people I love, humble, opened, simple but smart.

Going back?:
Naaah... I don't think so, Croatia looks great ..
Of course, September I think, or maybe later ..
The question is, will I buy a return ticket?

Top tip:
Follow the wind, follow your heart, plan nothing.
For example, a concept I never understood, the pre-sale tickets? :confused:

And now... A few feelings, memories, thoughts...
Since 1994,it was one of my 5 best summer holidays in ibiza.

Everything was perfect, the weather, the food, the people,the parties, etc...
One of my greatest memories is the afternoon at ADID, when, after hours chatting with him on messenger, I finally met Lee Burridge,this 15mn with him were unforgettable.
This guy restored my faith in dj's, the real ones who are not doing it ONLY for the money (hey, I am not credulous, not sure he would smile like this for 1000 euros /month).
What a lovely, different and funny character I met.

Also this day I was with my very close-up friends, and last but not least, I met Stivi best half Míriam, plus, second cherry on the cake, I met a legendary Spotlight forum member, Alex aka kimajy.

Thinking about Alex, so it's time to talk about Spotlight...

The regulars here are knowing I have a nice relationship with the Clubbing Section Guru here, Stivi, since he decided 2 years ago to stop at my place here in France for one of the nights of his walking trip.
We are staying in touch since,chatting about ibiza on whatsapp all year long, had a great dinner in April, and this summer, after this really cool but short time at Blue Marlin , we finally had a great evening and night between the dinner and the clubbing night @Pacha...
What a bromance :lol:...

Stivi is one of those characters who are making ibiza so special for me.

Because for him ibiza is much more than clubs and parties, he's in love with this little white rock, as I am.

Chatting with you at 8 am during our walk between Pacha and Dalt Villa was priceless.

Please, clubbers, the ones who only know 5 roads in ibiza, the ones between DC10, Playa d'em Bossa, Pacha, Amnesia, etc..., please open your eyes, your minds and hearts, and explore the island and the people who are living here...
They deserve it.

Spotlight, a website about a ibiza, a bizzness, and... A forum.
A virtual place where you talk about ibiza with people from all over the world:

Now Marcellus Wallace(non stop dancing and smiling guy, so even if we didn't talk a lot, we shared some cool time) has a face I will remember with a smile on my face.

Casa Negron is not just a Bum lover with perverses eyes.
f***! This guy looks great!!
When he, and his lovely family gently stopped to talk with me(I think he recognized me because there's not a lot of French drunken people like me in Portinatx, but, hey, well done! Your "are you Juan Miguel from Spotlight?" is still one of my highlights of the season) , I wondered why Jammie Fox and Halle Berry were talking to me:eek:
Beautiful little family who are coming from so far to enjoy ibiza... Respect !

Alex.
We just shared a few hours on the dancefloor, but the connection with my group and I worked immediately.
As I know this bunch of crazy people, when I saw how they were enjoying chatting and laughing with you, I felt
confident with you.
Next time a barbecue on Stivi terrace will be unmissable (Stivi, you know what you have to do...)

And now, The Legend ...
Sometimes I was thinking he was not real, a virtual member made by the bosses of Spotlight to catch audience on the net.
But he's real, I met him.

I met McRackin!!!
Maybe the only ibicenco here on Spotlight?

And the Ibicencos means a lot to me.

McR, I share with you (and just a few ones here, which makes me sad often) your fears about the environmental and social future of the island.

A la merda, tots ses caps de faves :D

So, as you surely understood, we(me and Nathalie, my lovely partner in crime with who all this story would not have been possible, she's the real ibiza lover after 45 years visiting the island, I am a newbie compared to her, I never went to Amnesia openings for the summers of love 87-89 for example :rolleyes:) had a blast this last 4 weeks.

I didn't travel a lot in my life, but I am sure this place is one of the most magical in the world.

Gracias ibiza, nos vemos pronto

P. S: excuse me by advance for the grammar or spelling faults,
My english is worst than my Spanish, which means a lot.

Back