swedish house mafia

Ticket vs. VIP

I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to Ibiza but me and my mates went there last year in the middle of august. As we are Swedish we wanted to go to SHM and decided to book a table for 6 people in the VIP. As the discussion is a lot about economy I'll share my point of view on the matter.
It costs 900€, entrance and drink spending for the amount for a table for 6. That's 150€ per person 90€ more than a ticket. You get no queues, drinks and nice view over the club from the table. You can also talk with your friends due to the reasonable sound levels.

How we did it was that we enjoyed the warm up dj's from the table, socialized with our neighbor tables and had a great time. As SHM got on I went out on the dance floor and danced around for a while. It was packed but as soon as i felt it was enough i went back to the table and chilled out, I also brought up a girl i met on the dance floor which she really appreciated.

After out drinks where out and the night was late (around 5am) we all went down from the table to the dance floor and danced until the closing.

It was a perfect mixture of chilled and social times in the vip with the overcrowded but nonetheless amazing dance floor. Well worth the extra 90€ if you ask me. With a ticket and 90€ I would have gotten like 4 drinks maybe and no way to escape the crowds.

Hope my point of view helps some of you

I have to agree with you my friend, me and a mate booked a v.i.p table for luciano at pacha on 19th september and i can thoroughly recommend it.
Had a great night and plenty of space to dance and a seat when i wanted to chill for a bit and as you say if you work out the costs it can be reasonable value.

i have`nt gone to pacha since 94/95 and it was a moondance night jose padilla,laurent garnier and a man called adam.there was a tiny vip area just off the main dance floor with one big table full of drink and lots of fruit that the vip`s whoever they were were just giving out to people gettin busy on the floor. great times. sounds like its changed alot.ill keep my good memorys of the place i think..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
we went to SHM's closing party last year and it was too rammed, after going to Pacha on the saturday for Defected, which was busy, but we could still move around, we thought it would be the same thing....we were wrong, by about 2am, we just went upstairs on the outdoor balcony and sat up there most of the night.
I agree with the person who said the floor upstairs, behind the dj booth is the beat place to be, we had no problems there for Defected, but even that was too busy for SHM.
VIP does sound interesting, they offer those tickets at Cafe Mambo too, might be a thought for this year!

Well...after reading this i am still 50 / 50 whether or not to go...

It will be my first time in IBIZA and Pacha and SHM is obviously very appealing, but hearing you are crammed in there like a cattle market doesnt make it seem worth the money seeing you cant bust a few drunken shapes etc...

I dont wana not experience though :(

Would love to do VIP, but ibiza is gona be expensive as it is without having to fork out an extra wack of cash :confused:

Definately food for thought tho, so thanks for the feedback and opinions :D

How we did it was that we enjoyed the warm up dj's from the table, socialized with our neighbor tables and had a great time. As SHM got on I went out on the dance floor and danced around for a while. It was packed but as soon as i felt it was enough i went back to the table and chilled out, I also brought up a girl i met on the dance floor which she really appreciated.

smash-it.jpg

Well...after reading this i am still 50 / 50 whether or not to go...

It will be my first time in IBIZA and Pacha and SHM is obviously very appealing, but hearing you are crammed in there like a cattle market doesnt make it seem worth the money seeing you cant bust a few drunken shapes etc...

I dont wana not experience though :(

Would love to do VIP, but ibiza is gona be expensive as it is without having to fork out an extra wack of cash :confused:

Definately food for thought tho, so thanks for the feedback and opinions :D

if you want to see them then go, might not be too bad when it's not the closing party, you could also in to Cafe Mambo beforehand to see them, even that was busy though ha ha

Ever been to Ministry of Sound when the likes of Erick Morillo, or Armin van Buuren have played?

Believe me they fill it out more than capacity. Maybe not to the same extent, but it happens in most places.
Like when my mate asked the bouncer how many people the club could hold and he answered: "officially or unoffically?"

Completely agree with everyone here with these comments though.

Another reason why we usually avoid going in July and August.

In England a club's "capacity" is judged on a variety of factors, namely: how many stories high off the ground floor, how many (emergency) exits does it have &/or how many security personnel does the premises license state per 'x' ppl?

So in theory a club in England could easily hold 2,000 comfortably, but if it only has 2 fire exits then probably wont be allowed more than 1,000 tops!

I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to Ibiza but me and my mates went there last year in the middle of august. As we are Swedish we wanted to go to SHM and decided to book a table for 6 people in the VIP. As the discussion is a lot about economy I'll share my point of view on the matter.
It costs 900€, entrance and drink spending for the amount for a table for 6. That's 150€ per person 90€ more than a ticket. You get no queues, drinks and nice view over the club from the table. You can also talk with your friends due to the reasonable sound levels.

After out drinks where out and the night was late (around 5am) we all went down from the table to the dance floor and danced until the closing.

It was a perfect mixture of chilled and social times in the vip with the overcrowded but nonetheless amazing dance floor. Well worth the extra 90€ if you ask me. With a ticket and 90€ I would have gotten like 4 drinks maybe and no way to escape the crowds.

Hope my point of view helps some of you

Totally 100% agree!

Had the same awful experience this year in Pacha at start of June for Guetta's night.
Arrive by 00:30, left by 2am because of overcrowding. Back in San An by 3am - 45 euros & a whole night wasted.

Went back out for the closing parties and opted to return to FMIF but paid to go VIP to avoid the crowds.

As above, paid 150 euros each and cant recommend it enough. Basically, you get your moneys worth back in drinks. How much would you pay for a vodka & mixer at the bar - 20 euros give or take? You get 28 measures in a 70cl btl.
Halve that (300 euros minimum spend per couple. Cheapest btl of vodka = 300 euros) So that's 14 measures each. 14 x 20 = 280 euros - a monumental saving!

As you say, you can still visit the dancefloor. We got drunk, had great company with the other VIP guests, and you can really appreciate the decor of the club as opposed to continually worrying about safety/struggle for air!

It's true though, if somebody passes out or gets knocked out in there when its like that I cannot stress enough how dangerous that would be. Took 20mins just to leave of our own accord because of the no of ppl

^ ^
The flaw with your vodka price breakdown is that you would get much more than a single uk measure in your drink from the bar...

^ ^
The flaw with your vodka price breakdown is that you would get much more than a single uk measure in your drink from the bar...

Not so sure that that is true to honest. True, they are not measured out like most British bars, and granted the majority of spirit mixers taste a lot stronger than your average tipple over here.

But the bar/club owners aren't stupid, & there are several reasons for the above:

a) next time you are in ibiza, mainland Spain, or anywhere else in Med check the glass and compare it to what you would normally get served at home - 9 times out of 10 they are a lot narrower - doesn't take much alcohol to fill 2/3 of glass, especially after ice.

b) the quality of the mixers - depending on your preference - generally speaking the mixers you get in UK are going to be of better quality. The result? The drink is gonna taste smoother.

I dont doubt that on occasion, yes you are probably receiving more than 25ml. But I would hazard a guess that often you are receiving less than 25ml too. And rarely will you be receiving the double-measures that is often fabled.

don simon spoke 1000 words with his post above, but i'll bite!!

haha, there is no way the average measure is anything like 25ml. it's closer to being at least double that. think of the shape/height of the 25ml measures you get in bars in the UK. now picture that in glass. even giving for the ice, you get typically half a glass of spirits here. the 25ml portions are pathetic.

i was back in the uk a few months ago and had a few drinks in a few places. spirit and a mixer. i got 25ml and a splash of coke. went down like cough medicine and cost me a lady. anyway, the summary was that i'd rather pay 10-15€ and know that i'm getting a proper drink.

surely you can see when the chick pours the vodka in, its a lot more than 25ml? then theres the taste?

uk measures are stingy compared to spain. in some bars in barcelona, you even get complimentary shots if you're nice.

fact.

Gregor,

I justified the taste with point b), and also addressed the issue of size glasses with point a). Typically a glass from a Spanish bar will be thinner, and only slightly taller. In some cases they are as thin as shot glasses! In the UK you will often get a casablanca style glass that had a larger diameter at the top of the glass than at the base. Spanish glasses are (usually) symetrical. They also quite often have thick ridged glass bottoms - which is a product design the manufacturers incorporate for the very reason of giving an impression of "more product for your money"

fatphilB,

the free-pouring technique used by cocktail servers, often from a great height, is part of the psychology of making a premium drink. When ordering a cocktail (or, in this case, a standard spirit mixer - for arguments sake) - you are not only paying for the drink, but a sense of theatre. The juggling and flaring are part of the package, as is the intricate decoration - fruit garnish, umbrella etc. Not to mention the colours added - bols blue, grenadine etc. - most of which add little flavour, some dont even contain alcohol - but they make the drink look ashetically good.

The pouring technique is of particular interest because it gives the perception you are getting considerably more than usual - but in fact research has shown that you often end-up getting less! Some less scrupulous bar owners even use it as a way of making-up for stock they may have lost. Granted, these results relate to UK premises surveyed, but I'm guessing that there's a fair chance this is also the case elsewhere in Europe.

The psychology of the drink is actually 60% of mixology courses, as opposed to the practical.

ANYWAY...

Let's agree to disagree! lol

I would still argue that is value for money even if you halve the alcohol content. We'll say 10 euros a pop, down from my original 20.

That'd equal a spend of 140 euros - remember the VIP experience costs 150 each - 300 euros per couple.

That's a difference of 10 euros... but baring in mind if you go VIP you avoid paying the usual ticket price - anything upto 100 euros this year (if some rumours are to be believed) - still a great saving!

& like I said, well worth spending a bit extra to avoid the overcrowding.

Chances are I wouldn't drink more than 5-6 drinks in the course of the night anyway if I was in the main club and had to visit the bar each time.

Especially with the all the queues!

& @ xxVic-zeexx

Exactly! :D

Back