Summer Dieting....

Morbyd

...sucks! :lol:

So, who else is trying to get into summer shape? How are you doing it?

I'd packed on 4 kilos over the holidays and winter so I went on a diet about 3 weeks ago. The initial target was just to lose the winter pounds but I decided to go all the way and shoot for 9 kilos and get back down to my ideal weight. I've lost 6 kilos so far.

My method:
- Load up on caffeine in the morning (appetite suppressant, plus get the metabolism going)
- Drinking lots of water during the day (they say half the time you think you're hungry, you're really just thirsty).
- Eating a sensible dinner of meat and veg, no carbs (hardest part for me as I loooooove rice, noodles, pasta, etc.)

I've learned that large portions of veggies are as filling as rice and pasta, even if not as fun :lol: Of course, the weekend beer consumption is a bit of an aberration, as is Sunday brunch, but otherwise I've been very good.

I suppose I should start some sort of exercise regime (besides serious weekend dancing :lol:) to keep off the weight and firm everything up... but I can't be bothered :lol:

I can't give up the carbs! No way Jose.

Can't shift the belly so going to bulk up(ha ha he says) first then see if that helps shift it. Invested in some kettlebells though which are much better than just normal weights.

The water is essential and I have been buying more nuts and fruit plus protein bars and shakes rather than usual junk I eat sitting at my desk.

I moved into a flat 2 weeks ago and decided I was going to subsist on Boots meal deals until Sonar, however, that went out the window in the first week when i basically sampled a different item every night from the local kebab shop.

However, Boots meal deals are ace. Buy 5 and you get the 6th free, so it works out at £2.50 a meal. Today I got a Smoked Turkey and Swiss sandwich (£2.70), a Rumblers Yoghurt and Clusters thing (£1.25) and two bottles of Ribena Light (1.29 each, buy one get one free) for £2.99! Even better, I bought it with my points and spent ZIP, and tomorrow I get my free meal!

No, I don't work for boots.

I can't give up the carbs! No way Jose.
That really is the hardest part... almost everything I like to cook goes better with some rice, noodles or pasta!

I completely broke down when I got home (drunk) at around 8 on Saturday morning and was very hungry. Tossed some noodles in the wok with shrimp, garlic, chili, scallions and snow peas. Heavenly! However, as I'd had way too much to drink, I couldn't hold an ounce of it down :oops: :confused: :lol: (and no, I'm not intentionally bulimic!)

Less of this
beer.jpg

And more of this
bp_fall06_backyard_jogging_l.jpg

:lol: Yeah cut out the carbs a bit (esp before going to bed), but just excercising and slightly changing drinking and eating habits will make all the difference. Instead of beer, try Vodka or Cava/Champagne.

Well, I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal even with the beer! :lol:

But I did have a vodka night on Saturday in deference to the fact I really should cut down on my beer intake.

The thing I wonder is, once I've hit my target (or maybe an extra kilo or 2 to be safe), then can I add carbs back into my diet in moderation and not fear instant weight gain? I usually don't gain weight except when traveling, which adds up over time, but this is the first time in about 4 years I've seriously tried to get back in form.

Hey Morbyd, I am doing the same diet as you right now! I gained about 10 lbs. since September so I'm trying to work it out before July. The hard part is I've got a week in Cancun next month and I'm afraid all my work over the next couple weeks is going to go right out the window!

Anyways, you have to be very careful about reintroducing carbs back in. If you go zero carbs then all of the sudden start eating a good amount again, you can gain it back very fast. I've gone no carbs for 2 weeks, then i'll give in one day and by the next day i've gained 4 lbs! :eek: Your body becomes so used to low sugar levels that any spike in blood sugar can really mess you up. Also, I know it is so hard, but if you limit the caffeine that will help you because that affects your blood sugar level too.

7 years ago I lost almost 40 lbs. going no carb, and I've gained back about half. So, it works but you gotta keep up with the exercise and never go back to full carbs. You'll have to keep me posted on your progress. :) Or maybe we should start a support group. lol

Last time I went on a serious diet was AFTER Cancun! :lol: I guess that was actually a little more than 3 years ago (not 4 as stated above). The food there is awesome, and all-inclusive hotels are the devil :lol:

Thanks for the advice re: carbs. I suppose I'll have to ease back in and try to refrain from those two-plates-of-spaghetti nights!

You hang in there, Miss F... let me know when you hit your target.

Gl all.

My achilles heel is crisps, 5+ bags per day, am currently trying to cut down to lose of few lbs. Do a good week and then am back on the damned things the following week as a treat for doing so well :(

Morbyd;1278437I've lost 6 kilos so far. [/QUOTE said:
WELL DONE! How much is that in lbs? Sounds like your doing all the right things except perhaps the drinking! I do the caffeine thing as well to curb my appertite, usually in the afternoons after lunch. I've been allowing myself carbs once a day though as I just couldn't live without them! I tend to save them for evening meals as they are so boring without them, so I don't have cereal or toast for breakfast but stick to fruit and yoghurt and if I have soup or salad for lunch it's carb free. The only thing I have finally realised you really can't do it without is exercise, and I hate it! I've been back in the gym for 9 weeks now, only twice a week but I feel better for it and I went for my first run yesterday- 3miles :) I have only lost about 3 or 4 lbs but I feel better and I'm more toned from the gym. Keep up the good work as when autumn/winter starts if your anything like me it all goes to pieces again!

Congrats on the loss, always admire the willpower...

Years ago I had nutrition courses as part of dance training. These are some of the things I learned that have served me well for the past 25 years. Carbs are not the anti-christ. Body needs some, especially if you exercise.

However, if you remove them altogether (lets forget the early morning post-party binges:lol:), you do need to reintroduce slooowly. Stick with ones that spike the insulin levels less, wholegrain rice, quinoa instead of couscous, soba noodles (buckwheat) and keep wheat products out of the equation as much as possible as they seem to be the worst culprits.

Another useful thing to know is that eating some protein with your carbs slows down absorption (sp?) and so insulin levels don't rise so fast. Good fats are key too, nuts, seeds, avocadoes etc.

Do exercise if you can, makes it so much easier. I have never dieted in my life (proud of myself there as a 43 yr old female, as it seems to be endemic amongst my mates!) because I have always exercised alot (and dancing counts of course, my fave type :lol:).

Good luck - hope to catch the slimline you sometime on a dance floor !!

WELL DONE! How much is that in lbs?
Thanks!
2.2 pounds = 1 kg
So I've lost about 13 pounds.
I was 193 pounds :!: I should weigh in the 170-175 range.

Keep up the good work as when autumn/winter starts if your anything like me it all goes to pieces again!
Maybe sooner... I'm sure it will all go downhill when I go to Italy next week! Last time I was there (1999) was when I first started gaining weight after years of being rail thin!

HDR - sound advice there. Glad that dancing counts as exercise :lol:

Also, I know it is so hard, but if you limit the caffeine that will help you because that affects your blood sugar level too.

7 years ago I lost almost 40 lbs. going no carb, and I've gained back about half. So, it works but you gotta keep up with the exercise and never go back to full carbs. You'll have to keep me posted on your progress. :) Or maybe we should start a support group. lol

True, and messes up your adrenal glands which causes fatigue in the long term, etc.

However, an expresso an hour before exercise increases your stamina and fat-burning apparently ! And one cup per day helps prevent Alzheimer's it seems... So not all bad if you keep the levels low.

Well done on your successes. Had a quick look at a few of your pics from Ibiza 2008, you look great, was that before you gained back the 20lbs ?

I have found the solution to weight loss. Pure and simple.

Run!

I run nearly every day, I started a few months back and I am ragingly hungry all day long. I eat more than before, but just cut out the crap. Lost a load of weight.

When I started it killed me running round the block, now I run between 3 to 5 miles without a problem. and i used to be a smoker until last year. (or whenever i'm v. drunk:lol:)

Doesn't take long, it's free and you can do it whenever / whereever you want, plus you see big improvements very quickly so it motivates you to do more.

Good God, I sound like an info-mercial :?:p

Wow 13lbs is excellent, I went on my first "diet" last spring and lost about 15lbs but then put about 5 back on really quickly and then returned to the same weight I was by the time Christmas was over! As soon as the dark nights start and it gets cold I reach for food and avoid the long dark journey to the gym, I just think better to put a few pounds on in the winter and then lose them each summer than just keep putting them on each year! :)

I am not trying to lose weight as such, more tone up. I found when I did 3 or more gym classes a week including Body Pump which is great for your muscles and toning up wise, I really noticed it. Although I only notice it NOW I dont go anymore, my arms used to be so nice and toned without looking too muscly.

I bought some hand weights to use at home in the attempt to use them but I just find myself so tired once I get home from work after travelling that I really have to push myself.

I think with just over 3 weeks until Mexico I am really not going to get much more toned unless I go out everyday, which I cant see happening.

So unfair, excercise = boring

I think with just over 3 weeks until Mexico I am really not going to get much more toned unless I go out everyday, which I cant see happening.
Don't sweat it. As noted above, Mexican food will ruin any progress you make anyway. It's just too good to go lightly! Better to worry about it when you get back ;)

Less of this
beer.jpg

And more of this
bp_fall06_backyard_jogging_l.jpg

:lol: Yeah cut out the carbs a bit (esp before going to bed), but just excercising and slightly changing drinking and eating habits will make all the difference. Instead of beer, try Vodka or Cava/Champagne.

Seeing those pictures has depressed the hell out of me.

That's exactly what I'm not doing. :cry: :lol:

Fully intend to start working out like a psycho from next week (or week after :lol:)

Back