Summer Dieting....

Mine started today :( Got Sonar in less than a month and I want to feel semi-good for it!

I run anyway and eat reasonably healthy (although my downfall is eating out / takeaways at weekends). PLUS I am terrible for eating loads of carbs late at night. Although, if I do a run at 7am the next day - does this kind of counteract the carbs from the night before?

From now til Sonar Im cutting out the c.rap food and eating healthily. I only want to lose about 7lbs ideally (although anything more would be a bonus :) Weighed myself at the gym this morning so I know my current weight and my target weight!

Should we form a diet club, everyone has to post their weight gain/loss every monday morning... like Fat Fighters lol :lol:

Should we form a diet club, everyone has to post their weight gain/loss every monday morning... like Fat Fighters lol :lol:
:lol:
Sounds like a plan! OK... so then everyone should post their target loss and progress?

As stated above: Target - 20 lbs, Current progress - 13 lbs

We'll check back in again next Monday?

:lol:
Sounds like a plan! OK... so then everyone should post their target loss and progress?

As stated above: Target - 20 lbs, Current progress - 13 lbs

We'll check back in again next Monday?

I am up for that, I will update if the weights have made their way out the box.......:p

.... I really should cut down on my beer intake.

The thing I wonder is, once I've hit my target (or maybe an extra kilo or 2 to be safe), then can I add carbs back into my diet in moderation and not fear instant weight gain? .

Beer is the worst, even if you're on a strict diet and do alot of excercise, if you drink beer, its difficult to get the flab of those hips.

As for the carbs, a certain ammount is a must, especially if in the morning or lunch as you will work it off in the day, but not really good just before bed.

Ya, but running is not compatible with bad knees and a smoking habit :lol:

Have you thought of low impact exercise ? Like swimming, cycling or even better, rowing ? Those concept2 rowing machines are :eek: You'll lose that flab in no time !!

Put on a Sh1T load over autumn and christmas taking me to roughly 17 and a half stone which is about 245 pounds and at only 5'10'' = fat bastard! :)

I used to be a personal trainer/fitness instructor (used to teach body pump and combat actually :) ) so I am no stranger to exercise and healthy eating although that went to pot over the last couple of years... :)

Started my Ibiza slimming routine at the beginning of March and am now spot on 15 stone (210 pounds) so ive done about 35 pounds in 3 months. I am hoping to bust off another stone in the last 4 weeks before I go which is gonna be the tough one.

I do the gym about 4 times a week for 2 hours a shot. 1:30 of cardio, 30 mins weights. Diet wise I simply cut out the crap and eat less.

A couple of easy things I do you might like to try...

1) Whatever you eat for a meal normally, half it. A lot of people eat till they are over full and ready to burst. Try cutting your portion sizes in half for every meal and stopping before you are full. This will not only cut down your calorie intake it will also help your stomach shrink a bit thus reducing your appetite and of course gut wont be hanging over your trousers anymore :)

2) Little and often. You've probably heard it before but it does help. If you do the 3 big meal thing a day try splitting it into 6 smaller ones. Not only will it keep your metabolism burning along all day but again the smaller meals will keep the stomach size down.

3) Try not to eat late at night or just before bed. I try to have my last meal at 18:00 and nothing after apart from some water. Some people have a whacking great meal with a bottle of wine or some beers late at night just before going to sleep. That food has nothing much to do but sit in your stomach and get converted into fat while your zzzzz.

4) Goes without saying... cut out the crap. Fast food, sugars, processed, white wheats, sauces (big calories in sauces!!) and the alcohol. I try and eat healthy as possible mon-fri and go awol on the weekend and eat and drink what I like. I dont go mad and have pizza, kebab, kfc, 30 pints in one day but I have a few treats to make up for being good all week.

5) Exercise first thing in the morning. Not only does it get it out of the way early in the day (before you make some bullsh1t excuse for not doing it that day :) ) it also jump starts your metabolism burning a lot more calroies throughout the day. You will also feel more alert and energised

6) You dont have to follow a Katy Holmes or Steve Redgrave routine in the gym. 60 mins cardio 4 times a week will get some nice results. Throw in some resistance training for a tone up. You can even do it outside. A 60 min brisk walk outside listening to all the latest tunes that will be played in Ibiza on your ipod will do wonders!

Hope those help someone out and good luck! :)

Ill let you know if I hit the magic 14 before I go.

tom

Put on a Sh1T load over autumn and christmas taking me to roughly 17 and a half stone which is about 245 pounds and at only 5'10'' = fat bastard! :)

I used to be a personal trainer/fitness instructor (used to teach body pump and combat actually :) ) so I am no stranger to exercise and healthy eating although that went to pot over the last couple of years... :)

Started my Ibiza slimming routine at the beginning of March and am now spot on 15 stone (210 pounds) so ive done about 35 pounds in 3 months. I am hoping to bust off another stone in the last 4 weeks before I go which is gonna be the tough one.

I do the gym about 4 times a week for 2 hours a shot. 1:30 of cardio, 30 mins weights. Diet wise I simply cut out the crap and eat less.

A couple of easy things I do you might like to try...

1) Whatever you eat for a meal normally, half it. A lot of people eat till they are over full and ready to burst. Try cutting your portion sizes in half for every meal and stopping before you are full. This will not only cut down your calorie intake it will also help your stomach shrink a bit thus reducing your appetite and of course gut wont be hanging over your trousers anymore :)

2) Little and often. You've probably heard it before but it does help. If you do the 3 big meal thing a day try splitting it into 6 smaller ones. Not only will it keep your metabolism burning along all day but again the smaller meals will keep the stomach size down.

3) Try not to eat late at night or just before bed. I try to have my last meal at 18:00 and nothing after apart from some water. Some people have a whacking great meal with a bottle of wine or some beers late at night just before going to sleep. That food has nothing much to do but sit in your stomach and get converted into fat while your zzzzz.

4) Goes without saying... cut out the crap. Fast food, sugars, processed, white wheats, sauces (big calories in sauces!!) and the alcohol. I try and eat healthy as possible mon-fri and go awol on the weekend and eat and drink what I like. I dont go mad and have pizza, kebab, kfc, 30 pints in one day but I have a few treats to make up for being good all week.

5) Exercise first thing in the morning. Not only does it get it out of the way early in the day (before you make some bullsh1t excuse for not doing it that day :) ) it also jump starts your metabolism burning a lot more calroies throughout the day. You will also feel more alert and energised

6) You dont have to follow a Katy Holmes or Steve Redgrave routine in the gym. 60 mins cardio 4 times a week will get some nice results. Throw in some resistance training for a tone up. You can even do it outside. A 60 min brisk walk outside listening to all the latest tunes that will be played in Ibiza on your ipod will do wonders!

Hope those help someone out and good luck! :)

Ill let you know if I hit the magic 14 before I go.

tom

Thanks for the tips, given me a few ideas 8)

I have found the solution to weight loss. Pure and simple.

Run!

I run nearly every day, I started a few months back and I am ragingly hungry all day long. I eat more than before, but just cut out the crap. Lost a load of weight.

When I started it killed me running round the block, now I run between 3 to 5 miles without a problem. and i used to be a smoker until last year. (or whenever i'm v. drunk:lol:)

Doesn't take long, it's free and you can do it whenever / whereever you want, plus you see big improvements very quickly so it motivates you to do more.

Good God, I sound like an info-mercial :?:p

I have to agree with you here Mark... I dropped my body fat from 19% to 11% in three months by basically running and eating healthy. I don't eat anything that is processed during the week... lots of fish, tuckey, veg, fruit and water. It was tough at the beginning but after about a fortnight you dont even miss the junk. I do cheat at the weekend though. I swear by intervals rather than steady running preceded with as many pushups, pull ups and squats as I can. You feel like a bag of spanners after and you kind of want to die but its well worth it. Haven't lost that much weight but lost 3 1/2 inches of my waist - 36 down to 32 1/2.

Congrats as well Morb... keep up the good work. Always impressed with will power.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with you here Mark... I dropped my body fat from 19% to 11% in three months by basically running and eating healthy. I don't eat anything that is processed during the week... lots of fish, tuckey, veg, fruit and water. It was tough at the beginning but after about a fortnight you dont even miss the junk. I do cheat at the weekend though. I swear by intervals rather than steady running preceded with as many pushups, pull ups and squats as I can. You feel like a bag of spanners after and you kind of want to die but its well worth it. Haven't lost that much weight but lost 3 1/2 inches of my waist - 36 down to 32 1/2.

Congrats as well Morb... keep up the good work. Always impressed with will power.

J

That's bloody good going.:lol::eek:

True, and messes up your adrenal glands which causes fatigue in the long term, etc.

However, an expresso an hour before exercise increases your stamina and fat-burning apparently ! And one cup per day helps prevent Alzheimer's it seems... So not all bad if you keep the levels low.

Well done on your successes. Had a quick look at a few of your pics from Ibiza 2008, you look great, was that before you gained back the 20lbs ?

Thank you! But actually I only gained back 10, not 20 and yes Ibiza was right before I gained. My most recent pics on myspace are from Gasparilla (under Pictures section) - that's how I currently look. I mean, thank god I'm tall because if I was short 10 lbs. would look a lot worse on me!

Thank you! But actually I only gained back 10, not 20 and yes Ibiza was right before I gained. My most recent pics on myspace are from Gasparilla (under Pictures section) - that's how I currently look. I mean, thank god I'm tall because if I was short 10 lbs. would look a lot worse on me!

this is one of the benefits of being tall! ;)

A midget like me, if I gain 10 pounds, i'd have to buy an entire new wardrobe! :lol:

I have also been fighting the winter excesses and just by cutting out large portions, biscuits, crisps etc and eating more fruit and veg plus doing lots more mountain biking (which i enjoy anyway) , I have managed to shift 21lbs (just under 10kg) , still plenty to go but as I am used to it i am happy to continue with it.

lets hope we can all be a bit happier with our phsique when we get to ibiza :)

I got told I had dangerously high cholestrol last year - aparently its hereditary, :confused: anyway I didnt want to go on tablets or anything like that so I said I would change my diet and regulate what I eat according to a diet sheet supplied by the hosp.

Usual things you would imagine, low fat spreads, avoid fat, biscuits, cakes - anything with saturated fats. It worked and I got my cholestrol level way down to the limit it should be. but didnt lose an awful lot of weight, but I did maintain a lower weight and defo felt healthier.

In addition, this year I also gave up crisps on Jan 24th (not that I am missing them or counting the days or anything :lol::lol:) and yes I have been exercising 2 x a week and running - I have worked out after quite a few years that burning off more calories than you eat is the key :rolleyes:

Anyway 1 1/2 stone lighter........ :lol: Crisps are EVIL - but taste sooooo nice.... (and I did use them as a meal replacement too.....:oops::oops::oops:

In addition, this year I also gave up crisps on Jan 24th (not that I am missing them or counting the days or anything :lol::lol:) and yes I have been exercising 2 x a week and running - I have worked out after quite a few years that burning off more calories than you eat is the key :rolleyes:

Anyway 1 1/2 stone lighter........ :lol: Crisps are EVIL - but taste sooooo nice.... (and I did use them as a meal replacement too.....:oops::oops::oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

Some very good tips, I especially need to follow number one.
This is definately something I am not good at, portion sizes, I usually eat till I'm very full, and I enjoy my food!

I have to say I don't agree with point number 3 though, especially if you combine it with point number 5, as long as you burn off the calories you eat it doesn't matter when you eat them. If you gorge yourself late in the evening and then get up at 7am and have a huge breakfast then you'll put on weight but if I haven't eaten anything since about 6pm and then try and do a workout in the gym at 8am, the next morning I have no energy and feel really weak, I like to eat a big dinner, especially with rice or pasta if I'm going tothe gym the next day and I often eat later than 7pm but then I burn it off in the morning.

Back