Space Best Moments

Hello, Spotlight gang needs some help with this

To remember our dear Space and celebrate its last year on the isle, we are putting together a list of incredible moments, sets, special situations that have happened between those walls any time.

Ideas? Suggestions?

xx

Speaking of closing out the terrace, you've just reminded me that Dave Beer of Back to Basics finished with Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer. Haven't a clue what year. Early 2,000's ish.

I can't remember what year it was either 98 or 99 maybe? Sunday afternoon on the open terrace, place was packed, sun was shining and it was boiling hot and the DJ dropped Donna Summer I Feel Love. When it started mixing in a few people started realising what was coming and i vividly remember people looking round at their mates and pointing at the speakers, looking puzzled and then the main loop kicked in and the place went absolutely mental. I mean absolutely mental... i've never been anywhere else (and i've been in a few haha) that has had a reaction to a piece of music like it did that day on the terrace. Amazing memory

Last edited:
My best memory was manumission carry on at space , June 2004 and the closing track played was red hot chilli peppers 'can't stop' . And for some reason it felt so right and it all made sense . Whenever I hear the song it always takes me back to that moment .

I think it was back in 2005 or 2006…my first ibiza visit. I have heard a lot of "the worlds best club" -space.... especially on sunday mornings. So we had breakfast and went to space...(we really were freshmen :confused:). my mate got ill at that morning and went back to the hotel after 2 hours. one hour later I was bored.....all alone and nothing special so far. so i decided to go....looking for the exit the next 15 minutes I finally saw some daylight, but that was not the exit.......it was THE TERRACE!

if i had found the exit …that would have been perhaps my first and last ibiza visit. But fortunately, everything went different.

it's difficult to describe…..but this day really made me addicted. after a fantastic day dancing, drinking and meeting a lot of new friends I ended up at borabora finishing off the day. drinking a beer with some people I can exactly remember hearing booka shades "mandarine girl"....wow, what an experience!

my roommate was ill the whole week. at the next visit, the terrace was no longer the terrace. no daytime parties again. after 10 years I still have to tell him what he had missed…..again and again :)

It's 2PM of a Tuesday, Carl Cox plays at Space tonight with John Digweed who is my fav DJ at the time. It's the night I've been waiting for maybe 3 months since I booked my flights, but I wake up with a hell of a down after an immense party in DC10 yesterday.

The girl I met on Sunday didn't text me yet, I'm supposed to see her tonight for Space, and coupled with yesterday's effects I start sinking into depression. I go outside and take a walk down the playa, it's warm, but grey clouds cover the skies and it's starting to rain. Suddenly everything feels so bad, all I wanna do is go home. I try to shake it off, take a walk down the beach, stop at Tantra for a drink and a bite to eat. I finish my drink unwillingly and then get a slice of Pizza coz you gotta eat something... As I walk out the Pizza place, the huge sign in front of Space suddenly hits me:

ERi5mxD.jpg

I can't actually explain what happens through my body at the moment, but in 2 seconds I become a different person. Suddenly I get a rush and the feeling that this is going to be a night to remember. I go back to my room, and 2 of my friends are feeling very sick, no one wants to go to Space tonight. Depression hits back again and I start thinking I'm gonna skip and go to bed.

Alarm clock hits me at 9PM, I wake up, everyone are asleep, my friend wakes up and says he feels better and wants to go. I tell him I'm probably gonna skip and just go to bed as I'm not in the mood. He shakes his head and says:

"No way... I know how long you've been waiting for this, we're going..."

Quick shower and 2 drinks, let's try to enjoy the night as much as we can.

We arrive to the queue at around 11PM without any expectations, suddenly I see Vicky in the queue. She runs to me, we hug and kiss, and she tells me that she lost her phone and couldn't text me, but she's been in the queue from 10PM waiting for me to arrive because she wanted to spend the night together with me.

Suddenly everything feels like heaven. My friend and I walk into the club with her where her friends are all waiting. We buy a few shots from the bar and get the party going. Coxy is playing in the Sunset Terrace and pumping it with his good ol' techno beats, lots of deep bass and vocals. We dance, kiss, smile, smoke, drink, feeling young and enjoying life. Cox finishes at 12PM not before he announces that Digweed has already started playing in the main room and the BBC Essential Mix tonight is recorded live from Space in 2 hours...

Me and Vicky are holding hands, smiling and laughing as we run into the Discoteca with our group of friends. Digweed is mystifying the place with his progressive & tech house beats like only he knew how to do back in the day. His first 2 hours are a blur of euphoria, bliss, sweat, smoke and everything in between. Without a doubt the best 2 hours I've ever experienced in Space, ever. I'm feeling lost between dream and reality, my body is amped up to heights I've never known before. On the 2.5 hours mark Digweed drops Plastik - Plastik (Alex Dolby Vision Remix), I recognize the track from the first beat and a sharp chill enters my body.

Coxy takes the microphone, and I'll never forget the exact words he said:

"Hola Space, how you doin this evening?"

The crowd cheers are almost louder than the music itself...

"You are listening to the sounds of John Digweed live on Radio 1 people!!!"

The place explodes as Digweed cuts the break and drops the beat in, the array of bright white spotlights shines and flickers behind, Digweed with his computerized stance, appears as a dark shadow in front of the lights, Cox stands on his side, raising his arms in the air and dances like it's 1999. The sharp green laser beam starts firing and the megatron hits the floor. I hug and kiss Vicky, we both look into each other's eyes and smile, knowing that we are probably the 2 happiest people on earth at the moment. My friend sees us, he looks at me and smiles, shakes my hand, we all hug, and he tells me

"You see, this is what we came for... Everything falls into Space..."

Fco8qAR.jpg

I remember standing in the middle of the club at one point, for maybe 2 minutes, stood still and just admired the place and what's going on around me.

I was shaking my head in awe and thinking to myself: "I can't believe I was about the pass on this night".

Anything can happen when you're in Space.

Diggers drops the final tune, it's Inner City - Good Life (Eric Prydz 2006 Edit)

Coxy takes the mic again:

"Oh yes Space, give it up for the man, Mr John Digweed... Unbelievable... Looking good tonight people keep this house rocking!!!"

As the track peaks the place is completely off the dial. The applause last for maybe 2 minutes. One of the best sets ever to be heard in Space, hands down.

RFTXFXK.jpg

On goes Cox, we dance the night off into the morning...

Full Essential Mix: http://bit.ly/1Vj0qMz

Me and Vicky leave the club at 7AM, and embrace the warm sunrise as we go out. We hardly talk, just look at each other and smile, as we both know exactly what we've experienced. We go to my room and crash with a huge smile on our faces as we dive into deep sleep...

pfgNUgi.jpg

As I write these lines my body gets the chill again and my eyes are getting a little watery, I don't know how to explain that night and what happened, I really don't.

All I know is that it was the best night of my life.

Last edited:
My first visits to Space was for Home on a Sunday afternoon in 2000, Laurent Garnier was playing on the then open air (apart from the camouflage netting) terrace, sun beating down, he played Love to Love you baby by Donna Summer, and mixed the slow love to love you part with the girl orgasm bit in Lil Louis French Kiss, just as the record starts to pick up again, it was one of those moments where everyone just swayed to the slow build up of french kiss and the 'love to love' vocals, until it proper dropped and the place exploded! This is a bit popwerful memory for me of Space and one I wont forget!

Also, I remember from the same night, he also played S Express!

Another strange thing was, about 3 years in a row going to Space, I heard out of space by the Prodigy on the terrace, so not sure of how much a regular thing this was, but judging by the fact that I went 3 Sunday on 3 different years tells me this happened quite a lot! Never heard it again since 2004'ish though, the terrace seemed to be a lot more serious once the roof went on! not so many weird and crazy people either!

Garlands Free White Party in 2001 on the terrace. Probably my last proper all rounder 10/10 clubbing experience in Ibiza (been a few 9/10 since mind)

Cox closing party around 08/09 and garnier played the terrace.

Few absolute cracking tunes amongst them bob marley could you be loved.

Then closed the night with the prodigy out of space. Outstanding!

This was the first club I went to with my good lady, it was the We Love opening 2010 - so many great memories of Space. Definitely my favourite club over there.

Back